ADVERTISEMENT

Cal is still KING!

If Cal doesn’t perform next year with his top class what will you say?

The number of people thinking Cal is still a top coach is shrinking.

How long will some people hold onto the 10-15 run, hoping he can somehow get back to it? Do you apply this stuff to any other aspect of your life? If you had an amazing doctor for years, but he started missing all kinds of stuff, are you still going go to him and say “well he was great 10 years ago!”

Reactions: CATFANINFLORIDA
If Cal doesn’t perform next year with his top class what will you say?

The number of people thinking Cal is still a top coach is shrinking.

How long will some people hold onto the 10-15 run, hoping he can somehow get back to it? Do you apply this stuff to any other aspect of your life? If you had an amazing doctor for years, but he started missing all kinds of stuff, are you still going go to him and say “well he was great 10 years ago!”
If we dont dominate by January, yeah, than ill keep quiet. But this is a Cal recruiting class that we used to have thats coming in.

Reactions: WeWant9
I rarely agree with you OP, but there’s a lot of truth in your post. One thing you fail to acknowledge though is Cal’s tone the last several years. Tubby was always respectful. Cal has been an arrogant, condescending asshole. That’s fine if you’re winning. It isn’t fine when you’re in the midst of arguably the worst 3-year stretch in our program’s history.

If Cal would just have some humility, a plan, not be so shady with “injuries”, etc. folks would be a lot more patient with him

Coach K averaged a national championship about every 10 years, and a final four every 4 years - over 4 decades.

Reactions: MbergCat
If we dont dominate by January, yeah, than ill keep quiet. But this is a Cal recruiting class that we used to have thats coming in.
Fair enough. I do think next year is the last chance for him to put up or shut up. The last several seasons he has shown he can’t really do much with a more traditional, veteran style team. So, if he can’t do it with the top end freshman again- I don’t see how he can stick around.

I rarely agree with you OP, but there’s a lot of truth in your post. One thing you fail to acknowledge though is Cal’s tone the last several years. Tubby was always respectful. Cal has been an arrogant, condescending asshole. That’s fine if you’re winning. It isn’t fine when you’re in the midst of arguably the worst 3-year stretch in our program’s history.

If Cal would just have some humility, a plan, not be so shady with “injuries”, etc. folks would be a lot more patient with him
I think he likes his kids before the fans, nothing wrong with that. And his keeping injuries quiet is in the kids best interest......but obviously it aggravates the hell out of us.
Tubby didnt have a big personality. His post game shows could put a crackhead to sleep.

I also think Matt Jones hammering him after every loss for the last few years made him defensive. Cal used to call his post game show occasionally, so he probably has some anger to people who he thought were his friends. Hes human.

Did a lot of people here want painter?

Nice deflection anyway. Cal is most certainly not king. Nothing about his results suggest that at all.
How many coaches have taken 3 teams to a final four? How many coaches still in the game have taken 2 teams to the title game? Ohhhh.....you're referring to the last 2-3 years.

What program has been to the final four the most in 10 years?

How many coaches have taken 3 teams to a final four? How many coaches still in the game have taken 2 teams to the title game? Ohhhh.....you're referring to the last 2-3 years.

What program has been to the final four the most in 10 years?
I’ve not only referenced the last 3 years several times, but I’ve also mentioned this is the longest streak in the history of the program we have gone without a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. So expanding out the miserable tournament results of the last 3 years, it’s the longest we have EVER GONE without a 1 seed in the tournament. The longest ever!

Who else are we gonna get question arises again. I guess there is not one good coach out there who can go better than 22 and 12, beat St Peter’s, better than 9 and 16 etc etc

When Cal walks out on his own, close the program down boys. It was a good 100 year run

A few bad years means nothing. I recall Duke wanting Coach K to quit before he went on a run. UL wanted Pitino gone in 2010. UConn wanted Calhoun gone before he won another title.

And who do you want to replace Cal? Oates, a man who allows his murderous player to remain on the squad and has never been past an elite 8? Musselman? That douche who rips his shirt off in the 2nd round and who we beat on senior day? Painter, that just got creamed by some circus kids?

Anyone know another coach who's taken 3 different teams to the final four? Just Pitino. Pretty dumb to say he cant coach.

Hilarious this "Cal needs to adjust to the times" thoughts. Cats were great last year, just had a terrible loss to Saint Peters, just like Virginia, Duke, and Purdue (with a POY) has recently done. Cats sucked this year, but dont forget we were solid last year prior to that upset, and we were great during Covid year when it got canceled...Vegas had us 2nd favorite to win the title.

Bottom line-- Calipari spoiled you, because there wasn't this many upset people when we had worthless Tubby sitting on 1 final four and no hope. We've seen glory and dominance just a few years ago.

Cats have an incredible class coming in next year, that should quiet you bridge jumpers for at least a season.

Bring on the debbie downers..
Great post Brad, haven’t seen you around the program showing off your tattoo lately.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Who else are we gonna get question arises again. I guess there is not one good coach out there who can go better than 22 and 12, beat St Peter’s, better than 9 and 16 etc etc

When Cal walks out on his own, close the program down boys. It was a good 100 year run
Why are you using a small window of shortcomings for your argument? Didnt you learn anything with Gillispie when you get excited after 2 successful seasons?

HAHAHA......signs you need a break! LOL, take a step back and cool off
You literally won’t even reply to my posts about us being mired in the middle of our longest streak EVER without a 1 seed. All this with your king at the helm!

You literally won’t even reply to my posts about us being mired in the middle of our longest streak EVER without a 1 seed. All this with your king at the helm!
A 1 seed? Thats your complaint? Who gives a chit what seed we are in the tourney? Go google what seed we were in our last few final fours. Whether we're a 1 or a 4, you have to play the same teams. Just not the first game.

I’d like to see someone consistently come up well short of expectations at their job 7-8 consecutive years (while being paid at the top level of anyone in their field) but their argument to their boss continues to be “but I used to be one of the best! Look at what I did in the past!”

Let’s see how that works out for anyone else in the real world. The king!

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
A 1 seed? Thats your complaint? Who gives a chit what seed we are in the tourney? Go google what seed we were in our last few final fours. Whether we're a 1 or a 4, you have to play the same teams. Just not the first game.
You go ahead and Google what seed we got in our only championship with Cal. Won’t take long. Or what seed we got in 2 of our last 3 titles for that matter. Seeds matter.

1 seeds are *kinda* indicative of how your season went leading up to the tourney and tend to give you a more favorable path to the F4. Surely you and your savior understand this, right?

I’d like to see someone consistently come up well short of expectations at their job 7-8 consecutive years (while being paid at the top level of anyone in their field) but their argument to their boss continues to be “but I used to be one of the best! Look at what I did in the past!”

Let’s see how that works out for anyone else in the real world. The king!
Well, by that philosophy, every coach who's defending champ should be fired if they dont make the final four the next year. Its a step back, right..

1 seeds are *kinda* indicative of how your season went leading up to the tourney and tend to give you a more favorable path to the F4. Surely you and your savior understand this, right?
Exactly. Getting a 1 seed isn’t just about who you play in the tournament. It’s very much indicative of HOW GOOD YOUR TEAM IS. It shouldn’t be hard to understand.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
You go ahead and Google what seed we got in our only championship with Cal. Won’t take long. Or what seed we got in 2 of our last 3 titles for that matter. Seeds matter.
I do enjoy you asking people this and they always come back with seeds don’t matter. In what world do seeds not matter?

If UK isn’t a 6 seed this year, we probably get a much more favorable second round match up and we are all taking about the S16 instead of Cal.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Gives you an easy first 2 games, thats it. But you have to play the same top team in that region regardless. Its beneficial, but doesn't hold heavy weight. How many 1 seeds are left after the first weekend?

Does anybody else think his kid highjacked his phone. I've never seen him in so much denial or this stupid.

This guy is trolling hard. Best to ignore.
Probably can find a very similar post after last season. Hasnt responded to my question because he/she doesn’t want to to commit to any timeline of expectations of production. Either way I am 100% positive that 5th and 6th graders playing in their elementary leagues have as much, if not more, basketball knowledge than the OP.

So after next year is a complete debacle, are you going to have a similar post or finally see the light? Anyone that says cal can still coach does not watch the full slate of a KY season and if they do and still have that opinion then they are a complete moron when it comes to basketball.
I think UK will be great next year. Im very confident. Same question can be asked to you, are you going to go nuts after any loss like the rest of you for the last 10 years? Or finally realize every team loses games?

One of my favorite memories--

After 2010, this whole board was in full meltdown mode, saying we'll never make a final four with the way Cal recruits and coaches. That if he cant win with Wall and Cousins, we never will. It was pandamonium here.... If only we had known what run we had in store.. But, we're all great college coaches, aren't we?

These seem very appropriate right now

Mark Twain- "Never argue with stupid people, because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

Also Mark Twain - "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it an remove all doubt"

One of my favorite memories--

After 2010, this whole board was in full meltdown mode, saying we'll never make a final four with the way Cal recruits and coaches. That if he cant win with Wall and Cousins, we never will. It was pandamonium here.... If only we had known what run we had in store.. But, we're all great college coaches, aren't we?
I don’t remember this. I remember rival fans saying that, not us. In fact, up until 2015 I would have argued with ANYONE that Cal was the top coach in the college game.

Things change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT