ADVERTISEMENT

Cal has completely lost control of this program

It’s as shocking as it is disheartening. The one and done model and brand has come back to swallow him up and there’s nothing he can do about it. Players crying over playing time, worried about draft status, Brooks addressing the media. Huh?

It’s time. It’s time. Thanks Cal for a pretty good run. But it’s time.
Afraid that he won't know when to go on his own. He has a huge buyout but this is going to get really bad in a hurry unless things improve, which doesn't appear that they will.

The one and done doesn't work unless you get the best players. We have only had one top 10 NBA draft pick in the last four drafts after having a top 10 in every Cal era draft up to that point. Top players have figured out they can play anywhere and get drafted high. Heck, Georgia had the #1 last year.
I don't know if most of the top players are tough enough or care enough about winning to truly lead a team anymore. For the first time in Cal's tenure I think his system is completely broken and I don't think it can be fixed.

I don't know if most of the top players are tough enough or care enough about winning to truly lead a team anymore. For the first time in Cal's tenure I think his system is completely broken and I don't think it can be fixed.
I can definitely see some of these dudes “opting out” to prepare for the draft. Then, Cal will be forced to play Allen and he will potentially be made to look ever worse if Allen does well.

I saw this coming after the Noel season. It was becoming clear that we were only attracting certain types of kids at that point. The only kids that even look at UK anymore are the ones who are NBA crazed kids. Ones that who have talent but also want to enjoy college don’t even consider coming here. They just want a UK offer for their resume and that’s it.

Laugh. You saw that from Cameron I’m sure. Known Cal hater. Known Kentucky basher. Disappears after a win.

I don't recall a single team that Cal has coached that played better than the individual talent on it. It is amazing to realize that most of the players were better AAU and NBA players than they were college players. WHY?

I don’t know, the 2011 team maybe. It’s not like Brandon Knight has set the NBA on fire. Jones/Lamb out of the league. Miller has been a steady NBA role player. He worked some magic with that group.

I haven’t posted here in some time, but i think some fans have forgotten that we were playing pretty damned good ball at the time everything shut down last spring. i think we might’ve done ok in the tourny.
We barely beat UF that last game. Ashton Hagans was in the dog house for his back talk, selfish play and making the STUPID video of him holding 2 handful's of cash.

Fans have NOT forgotten about those details. I don't think we were that ready for the Tournament.

Afraid that he won't know when to go on his own. He has a huge buyout but this is going to get really bad in a hurry unless things improve, which doesn't appear that they will.
I have no clue what the answer is but in reality all his good teams had a 2-3 veterans. The program is in disarray. Hopefully 5-6 of these boys come back with a couple of veteran transfers and some knock out freshman. Not sure this happens because Cal doesn’t coach and his players don’t play for UK. It is all about players first the the NBA

I have no clue what the answer is but in reality all his good teams had a 2-3 veterans. The program is in disarray. Hopefully 5-6 of these boys come back with a couple of veteran transfers and some knock out freshman. Not sure this happens because Cal doesn’t coach and his players don’t play for UK. It is all about players first the the NBA
Jeff Drummond said it best about UK Basketball being like "The Island of Misfit Toys" with zero offensive identity.

I'm not sure Cal can fix this problem at this point. He made too much of a public fuss about loving to send guys to the NBA. So that is the only kind of players he can attract now....kids that already have one foot out the door. Those who can leave. Those who fail to make the draft after one season transfer. These kinds of players have a loser mindset. They expect things to be given to them rather than earned. They are mentally weak. And that is why they suck.

Yet we can't break this cycle because the kids we have coming here these days all have this mindset. Cal would have to come out immediately and start making a big deal in a very public way that any kid who expects to be one and done should avoid UK, that they aren't wanted here. And even then I'm not sure you could change things. There has just been too much of established history to break the cycle. The only way to break this cycle is to completely change the culture of the program. I don't think we can do that as long as Cal is still here.

I hate it. I wish it didn't have to be done. But Cal has to go. And it isn't like he hasn't seen the warning signs. Hell, many of us here have been able to see this coming for years. His stated goals are incompatible with UK basketball. And now we are in a cycle of failure that we can't recover from until we totally change the mentality around this program. As long as Cal remains, all we are going to do is attract these same kind of soft kids seeking instant gratification, rather than the tigers willing to fight for everything they get.

My God, what I would give right now to have a team made up of guys like Pitino's first team here. Those guys were warriors. If they ever cried, it was because they hated losing. It wasn't because any of them were worrying about their draft stock. We need to start bringing in more kids with a blue collar approach to getting things done, the kind of kids we always seemed to have a few of in the days before Cal brought this shitty ass NBA culture here.
Those were kids who wanted to play for Kentucky and stuck it out during the probation. Most dreamed of playing for UK as kids and got to realize their dream when other players left. Big difference when you're playing for a program and not yourself.

Our only hope is that the psychiatric community finds a cure for draft pick madness and developes an effective treatment program for John Calipari.

Calipari had us a last second shot away from the Final Four and probably a championship in 2017 as a 2 seed. He had us a free throw away from a Final Four and probably a championship in 2019. He had us at what would have been a 2 seed last season. He has totally ruined this program!!
Yeah! We almost went to a final four!! Let’s hang a banner! “Almost final four-2017 & 2019”

Are we Indiana now? Hanging out heads on moral victories. Give me a ****ing break.

Calipari had us a last second shot away from the Final Four and probably a championship in 2017 as a 2 seed. He had us a free throw away from a Final Four and probably a championship in 2019. He had us at what would have been a 2 seed last season. He has totally ruined this program!!

A lot of What ifs in that.....the fact is, we didn’t do any of those things.

Yep , swallowed him up so much that we were one of the top 5 or 6 teams heading into last years tournament. You couldn’t be more wrong. Don’t overreact to this brutal season.
You need to take off your blue tinted Calipari edition ray bands and look at reality. The Cal era peaked half a decade ago, its time to move on. Last years team wasn’t going anywhere, either.

You need to take off your blue tinted Calipari edition ray bands and look at reality. The Cal era peaked half a decade ago, its time to move on. Last years team wasn’t going anywhere, either.

An opinion of someone with no information on events that never happened.

Reactions: Sejonesy
Two thots:

Allen will get some pt against UL And in the first half

As to underachiever comments.

In Cal’s NCAA tourney losses how often have the Cats been favored?
Not really sure but think they were dogs In ‘16 & ‘17, both losses.

Thinking they were favorites in all the others but someone will correct me if I’m wrong

The one and done doesn't work unless you get the best players. We have only had one top 10 NBA draft pick in the last four drafts after having a top 10 in every Cal era draft up to that point. Top players have figured out they can play anywhere and get drafted high. Heck, Georgia had the #1 last year.
#2 Wiseman only played in 3 games, and #3 LaMelo Ball didn't even play college ball. Florida State even had 2 lottery picks. Kids have realized they don't need the blue bloods to go high in the draft.

"I have to let the good players miss their shots."

If he were my son he'd be gone
Yes.....and I would go public after he landed somewhere else and rip Cal apart.

That quote by Cal was embarrassing to read. I hope this pressure will force him to leave town. How shameful for Allen to read that comment.

THANK YOU ! Wiseman at Memphis , Cade at OSU and the list goes on . Kids can stay close or at their home programs and actually enjoy it .

Reactions: KyFaninNC
This doesn’t have to be adversarial or contentious or controversial. It is what it is. Cal was the perfect coach fo Uk. But all eras come to an end. Folks who love the individual more than the program always blabber nonsense or just lack any rationale or coherent arguments when it comes to these things.

Nice run, had a lot of fun, but most of us are ready for a new era and a new approach.

I saw this coming after the Noel season. It was becoming clear that we were only attracting certain types of kids at that point. The only kids that even look at UK anymore are the ones who are NBA crazed kids. Ones that who have talent but also want to enjoy college don’t even consider coming here. They just want a UK offer for their resume and that’s it.

We’re all pissed at Cal but to say unrelenting stupid shit like you were down on Cal one year after a championship and two years before we almost went undefeated is some of the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. Might as well post a “I’m a dumbass” sticker on your forehead. Good lord, shut up.

Woulda , coulda, shoulda excuses don’t cut it at UK. Once you say your a players program, have recruiting fall down because you are not getting the best, you now have to actually coach. plus The BBN slowly starts looking for someone to blame.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Yep , swallowed him up so much that we were one of the top 5 or 6 teams heading into last years tournament. You couldn’t be more wrong. Don’t overreact to this brutal season.
Are you seeing this? I mean actually seeing this? Did you see Cal in his Zoom presser? Stop man. He's broken and tired. Stop.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I gotta hand it to the fans that are looking at UK being 1-5 and calling other people chicken littles.

You take the this is fine meme to new levels

salute
Just saying chicken little shows it’s all good. Kids quitting on the team last year, kids arguing with the coach, kids crying on the bench, transfers etc., but Cal’s got this under control.

Just saying chicken little shows it’s all good. Kids quitting on the team last year, kids arguing with the coach, kids crying on the bench, transfers etc., but Cal’s got this under control.

Trust in cal.

Like I've said many times. Cal created the beast that is swallowing him whole. The One and Done jumped the shark a while ago....it just finally caught up to him to cause a season bad enough to jar normal people into seeing the problems
You have to love Cal...he is a BHL like yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT