ADVERTISEMENT

Cal bringing in some shooters …2 new frosh names

I'm happy that we're getting the 3 star kids that can potentially find their way onto the court. Zero complaints about that.

But I do worry if our most experienced players are Theiro and Ugonna--that's a recipe for a long season.
Gillispie would give up his liver for those two 3s. We can’t start all of them. We have to take what Cal gets, for now. We’ve had several threes over the years that played solid roles for us.

Gillispie would give up his liver for those two 3s. We can’t start all of them. We have to take what Cal gets, for now. We’ve had several threes over the years that played solid roles for us.
You're focusing on something I'm not saying.

Their talent level isn't an issue. They don't fix our biggest problem--which is a complete and utter lack of experience.

Sure, we do have to live with what Cal gets us. I'm just a dude on a message board saying what needs to happen.

Sure.

I don't think any of those dudes did a ton as a freshman. I welcome the 2 3 stars. And I hope that they can develop into players for us.

But I think this team is already so freshman heavy--we're going to have to get some experienced guys. Otherwise, this elite recruiting class is going to be squandered with not much to show for how talented they are.
I'm definitely concerned. We need Reed and an experienced big man. Should be able to keep Reed but I don't know what Cal is gonna do after that. We'll know this week.

Dang Cal has some shooters signed!!! :rolleyes:

Oh, just recruiting shooters... Hope they are makers too...

So, we’re suppose to get excited about 3 star recruits who were committed to Ole Miss and UCF. I’d be okay if these guys were end of the bench players recruited for a couple years down the road. But, we need guys who can compete right now…..this isn’t the answer.
No, we’re not supposed to be excited, but it’s June and our roster situation has put us in “beggars can’t be choosers” territory. We need to add some warm bodies just to have a functional roster at this point.

Calipari has always said he recruits from the pool of people who want to play here. He's a salesman, but he doesn't "cold call."

These guys are transfer fodder. In any other program, they would stick around and develop, but here, under Cal, they'll never play and they'll transfer after 2 years. Does Cal not know himself?
I think with the way college basketball is now, some of the in state players that are 3 stars normally, we may have to start offering them scholarships to have depth and continuity on the roster. More likely to keep a kid around that grew up loving the program and would be willing to wait their turn for playing time, even if it takes years.

Reactions: Sparkaces1
It seems like Cal has become desperate. I will take anyone who is willing to come, but there doesn't seem to be too many takers. It is never a good thing when the used car salesman is the only one who believes his lies.

Reactions: track42
Calipari has always said he recruits from the pool of people who want to play here. He's a salesman, but he doesn't "cold call."
Oh please, let's cut the nonsense out where we pretend like this is part of some Calipari recruiting plan instead of a desperation measure.

We're not recruiting these two because we've determined they're UK material and "want to be here", instead we're doing it only because it's June, we only have 7 guys locked up, we desperately need to add more ASAP ...and there ain't many options left.

I don’t see any reason to complain about these kids. If you want to complain that we aren’t getting some “better” additions, fair enough.

But I was happy with Thiero last year and thought he should have played more. Same with Onyenso. And I’m glad they’re both coming back.

So again, it’s reserve judgement time as far as I’m concerned. I have trouble seeing why Burks can’t compete for minutes this year, and Hart looks like a good insurance policy at worst.

Hart can pass, dribble, and shoot. Decent athleticism, always dunks with 2 hands. Great form on his shots, releases the ball high. I'll definitely take a flyer on the kid.

UK had a freshman squad under Pitino. Maybe Calipari is working to put together one of those teams. Lord knows he hasn't exactly knocked it out of the park with the primary unit.

Sure.

I don't think any of those dudes did a ton as a freshman. I welcome the 2 3 stars. And I hope that they can develop into players for us.

But I think this team is already so freshman heavy--we're going to have to get some experienced guys. Otherwise, this elite recruiting class is going to be squandered with not much to show for how talented they are.
Seriously, at this time in the process, does anyone think we will/could find players that will take us deep in the tournament
You're focusing on something I'm not saying.

Their talent level isn't an issue. They don't fix our biggest problem--which is a complete and utter lack of experience.

Sure, we do have to live with what Cal gets us. I'm just a dude on a message board saying what needs to happen.
at this point. Who left in pool can makE a difference?

Seriously, at this time in the process, does anyone think we will/could find players that will take us deep in the tournament

Thinks to lazy ass Cal we are left with nothing.

We are 7 deep with zero superstars. Can we not be at least 10 deep with 3 proven college players, forget superstars at this stage. Before you go with edwards, DJ, Bradshaw, blah blah blah, they have never played one single second of college basketball so they can’t be labeled anything close to a superstar. They are talented incoming freshmen with a wait and see how their games translates to college and that is it. Edwards is currently the oldest player on the roster of the 7 we have and hasn’t played a game yet. 2 additional 3 star freshmen will help this team immensely 😂 By the way both Duke and Kansas were able to put together complete well rounded rosters and will easily be in the natty conversation next year.
DJ is a superstar, you'll see. He's an animal.

Not much left.

Best hope is to get Reeves back and maybe get Kaluma.

I’m hoping those are the vets we add. Or someone else (Grad Transfer) we don’t yet know about decides to transfer here.

What exactly do you want? Starter quality players to come in and sit behind our frosh? Or lose our frosh because we bring in starter quality players to play in front of them? Maybe these guys can compete right now, we don't know for sure, but we aren't going to be 10 deep with 10 superstars. It just doesn't work that way. Some of our fans believe roll players should be All Americans lol
You know, Cal could say "let's build a deep team that will run opponents off the floor, and still have enough minutes for everyone. We'll run an offense that's fun to watch, and gets the right people open at the right time"

Wait......

How bad is it gonna sting if Cal can’t sign some 3-stars. We’re loaded for 2024 though, Cal has been hard at work for that class.
Just about every UK fan has been given the shaft since he got that useless contract. He's hard alright.

When UK is trying to get 3-stars to sign, you're looking at the end of the coach. If it's true that certain incoming signed players were making threats of leaving if certain transfers were signed, then I hope Cal sits those flakes right after the second semester has started and teaches them how important it is to have depth and how irrelevant they are in the grand scheme of things.

Hart can pass, dribble, and shoot. Decent athleticism, always dunks with 2 hands. Great form on his shots, releases the ball high. I'll definitely take a flyer on the kid.
Hart will see playing time wherever he goes,but not having enough stars may hold him back at Ky.

I think our recency biased is showing. We were all ok with our Frosh superstars Monk, Murray, Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Fox, Maxey, Herro, Bam, Knight, Randle. But the Boston, Livingston, Whitney, Brooks freshman have led us to believe Freshman can't do it. Bottom line is, we don't know what we have until they show us. But we can't have our cake and eat it to with proven 15+ppg transfers and the potential of a special freshman class. Experienced 15+ ppg players aren't 7, 8, 9, 10 on your bench. 5 star freshman also aren't coming here with the belief of being the next D.Rose/J.Wall to be the 7,8,9,10 guy on the bench.
You're confusing recency bias with recent facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT