ADVERTISEMENT

Cal bringing in some shooters …2 new frosh names

Slim pickings, all the good players have been picked up by the Kan and other big names schools, Ky now is in last place on everyone s list.

No, he planned for all scenarios....didn't you read his message 🤬
Yeah we almost have 5 ppg coming back.
Excited Pumped Up GIF by Lil Jon

Here’s my 2 cents on these two new names. It’s hard to get excited about kids that are a year or two away from being heavily in the rotation. We have had awful luck with kids that have needed to be patient recently and with the transfer portal I don’t see that changing. If they both clearly understand they are a year or two away and want to be building blocks for the future, fine.

What our roster needs to win next year is 2-3 veterans ready to play and lead now. We have 5 unproven freshman and 2 unproven sophs, that’s our roster. We need some dudes to finish it out or we’re in trouble.

Last edited:
What exactly do you want? Starter quality players to come in and sit behind our frosh? Or lose our frosh because we bring in starter quality players to play in front of them? Maybe these guys can compete right now, we don't know for sure, but we aren't going to be 10 deep with 10 superstars. It just doesn't work that way. Some of our fans believe roll players should be All Americans lol
We are 7 deep with zero superstars. Can we not be at least 10 deep with 3 proven college players, forget superstars at this stage. Before you go with edwards, DJ, Bradshaw, blah blah blah, they have never played one single second of college basketball so they can’t be labeled anything close to a superstar. They are talented incoming freshmen with a wait and see how their games translates to college and that is it. Edwards is currently the oldest player on the roster of the 7 we have and hasn’t played a game yet. 2 additional 3 star freshmen will help this team immensely 😂 By the way both Duke and Kansas were able to put together complete well rounded rosters and will easily be in the natty conversation next year.

I didn’t write that much though? I think it looks like more than it is because of how narrow the posts are. It was a whopping 6 sentences. If that’s long to you I would suggest staying away from libraries.

Why are you being so rude to me? I told the OP that it was a personal pet peev and made sure to clear up I wasn’t trying to be mean to him. And your response was to tell me to “touch grass” and get a reality check.

If something as civil as my post causes you to become this rude to people you’ve never met maybe you’re the one who should step away from the keyboard.
Sounds like you’re taking this too seriously, bro. It’s a pretty day, enjoy it!

So, we’re suppose to get excited about 3 star recruits who were committed to Ole Miss and UCF. I’d be okay if these guys were end of the bench players recruited for a couple years down the road. But, we need guys who can compete right now…..this isn’t the answer.
UK gets beat by 3 star players every year. Grow up.

Reactions: bluesundown
Here’s my 2 cents on these two new names. It’s hard to get excited about kids that are a year or two away from being heavily in the rotation. We have had awful luck with kids that have needed to be patient recently and with the transfer portal I don’t see that changing. If they both clearly understand they are a year or two away and want to be building blocks for the future, fine.

What our roster needs to win next year is 2-3 veterans ready to play and lead now. We have 5 unproven freshman and 2 unproven sophs, that’s our roster. We need some dudes to finish it out or we’re in trouble.
Are we really looking for heavy rotation players? If a guy can give 10 minutes and make a 3 or 2 I think that would be valuable for our roster.

How can they be the 10th and 11th guys when we only have 7 scholarship players right now

Obviously if we add 4 more players, which is the rumor.

If reeves returns that's 10 total with these 2 and one more at 11.

Remains to be seen.

Find 2 to 3 guys that are ok with no guaranteed starting spot seems to be the challenge.

People on here seem ok with promising starting spots to transfers but nit with some of the freshmen allegedly being promised some starting spots.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
Speaks to the state of the program. These guys are two future outgoing transfers.
We'll be waiting for them on the last minute of the last day to decide if they are withdrawing from the draft. All while not improving the roster and watching better players sign elsewhere.

What exactly do you want? Starter quality players to come in and sit behind our frosh? Or lose our frosh because we bring in starter quality players to play in front of them? Maybe these guys can compete right now, we don't know for sure, but we aren't going to be 10 deep with 10 superstars. It just doesn't work that way. Some of our fans believe roll players should be All Americans lol
Yes, you need other really good players to push the really good players we recruited. You want the end of your bench to be as good as the starters on other teams. I have a bad feeling we are going to be pretty bad this year and it will be because our star freshman weren’t put in a competitive situation where they were pushed for playing time.

The articles are new, the subject is not. There are several threads discussing information regarding the possible recruiting targets that the staff is gunning for. This should belong in those threads.

The mods aren’t going to delete this thread because as far as I know it’s not in violation of any written board rules. It just feels like a “hey looks at me!” Kinda thread given you could’ve just posted the articles in a thread discussing the subject.

It’s a personal pet peeve of mine. I’m not trying to suggest anything about you as a person.
Who died and made you board police? Just move past the thread if it’s redundant to you.

Are we really looking for heavy rotation players? If a guy can give 10 minutes and make a 3 or 2 I think that would be valuable for our roster.
I think we are or need to be. 5 freshman and 2 sophs. They will get bullied from jump IMO.

I think we are or need to be. 5 freshman and 2 sophs. They will get bullied from jump IMO.
I see what you're saying, it's a fair point, but Cal is gonna run with the freshmen. Given that, supporting cast is what we can expect him to target. The only spot that was open for a big time player was center, other than that though I'm not expecting Cal to target anyone who might start over a freshman. Argue his strategy if you want, just saying what I expect him to do.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I see what you're saying, it's a fair point, but Cal is gonna run with the freshmen. Given that, supporting cast is what we can expect him to target. The only spot that was open for a big time player was center, other than that though I'm not expecting Cal to target anyone who might start over a freshman. Argue his strategy if you want, just saying what I expect him to do.
Oh I don’t think there’s a question who will be starting. I’m just worried about who we have to finish when we’re in a punch you in the mouth battle. At least 12 had veterans mixed with some elite freshman. Davis MKG Jones and Miller would go to war for you. I’m not sure who does that with this roster.

So, we’re suppose to get excited about 3 star recruits who were committed to Ole Miss and UCF. I’d be okay if these guys were end of the bench players recruited for a couple years down the road. But, we need guys who can compete right now…..this isn’t the answer.
Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Cal only eats first at Cracker Barrel these days.

Oh I don’t think there’s a question who will be starting. I’m just worried about who we have to finish when we’re in a punch you in the mouth battle. At least 12 had veterans mixed with some elite freshman. Davis MKG Jones and Miller would go to war for you. I’m not sure who does that with this roster.
To be fair, we weren't sure with that roster either. Jones was good the year before and Miller was OK but we had hopes but no guarantee with AD or MKG. But yeah we're gonna need at least 3 of the freshman to be high impact, instant impact, type players to have a chance of anything special.

Yes, you need other really good players to push the really good players we recruited. You want the end of your bench to be as good as the starters on other teams. I have a bad feeling we are going to be pretty bad this year and it will be because our star freshman weren’t put in a competitive situation where they were pushed for playing time.
No where in the country are the end of the bench guys better than starters elsewhere in P5. If they are starter quality they aren't sitting on a bench because it's Kentucky. They are going to go start elsewhere and play major minutes. This concept we have of having 10 guys that should be starter quality is ridiculous.

Reactions: Doodah859
No where in the country are the end of the bench guys better than starters elsewhere in P5. If they are starter quality they aren't sitting on a bench because it's Kentucky. They are going to go start elsewhere and play major minutes. This concept we have of having 10 guys that should be starter quality is ridiculous.
That’s valid if the roster is experienced and you have bona fide stars but if you are all freshmen, you need 10 guys who can theoretically win a starting role. Every year there are 5* freshmen who need a little more time to develop or who are just plain overrated. If you go into a season pencilling those guys in as all starting or playing major minutes, it isn’t a good situation. If you had guys like Oscar or Hunter Dickinson it is different because you know they are star players and so you can take back up players who have no chance of starting to bulk up the roster. But if you’re all freshmen, you need 10 guys who might win starting jobs because you never know who will emerge.

I think our recency biased is showing. We were all ok with our Frosh superstars Monk, Murray, Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Fox, Maxey, Herro, Bam, Knight, Randle. But the Boston, Livingston, Whitney, Brooks freshman have led us to believe Freshman can't do it. Bottom line is, we don't know what we have until they show us. But we can't have our cake and eat it to with proven 15+ppg transfers and the potential of a special freshman class. Experienced 15+ ppg players aren't 7, 8, 9, 10 on your bench. 5 star freshman also aren't coming here with the belief of being the next D.Rose/J.Wall to be the 7,8,9,10 guy on the bench.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Exactly, Keshad Johnson is a starter at Arizona, he plays 15-20 minutes at Kentucky. Figuring this out shouldn’t be rocket surgery.

Yes. The haters have been begging for players that will stay four years and not be affected by NIL and the portal. These are perfect Bennie boys. Makes sense. Got Cal for six more years, longer term players.

Rafters has been heard!!!!

Reactions: Graham51
I don’t see any reason to complain about these kids. If you want to complain that we aren’t getting some “better” additions, fair enough.

But I was happy with Thiero last year and thought he should have played more. Same with Onyenso. And I’m glad they’re both coming back.

So again, it’s reserve judgement time as far as I’m concerned. I have trouble seeing why Burks can’t compete for minutes this year, and Hart looks like a good insurance policy at worst.

I don’t see any reason to complain about these kids. If you want to complain that we aren’t getting some “better” additions, fair enough.

But I was happy with Thiero last year and thought he should have played more. Same with Onyenso. And I’m glad they’re both coming back.

So again, it’s reserve judgement time as far as I’m concerned. I have trouble seeing why Burks can’t compete for minutes this year, and Hart looks like a good insurance policy at worst.
The problem is we need some guys with experience ready to play now.

Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Cal only eats first at Cracker Barrel these days.
Dominique Hawkins and Michael Mulder were 3 star players and I'm pretty sure Derrick Willis was too. Nothing wrong with bringing in these guys as long as we keep Reeves and add a big man that can play. I think Thiero may be able to be a defensive stopper in year two, which will really help. 🤔 He looks a lot bigger.

I'm happy that we're getting the 3 star kids that can potentially find their way onto the court. Zero complaints about that.

But I do worry if our most experienced players are Theiro and Ugonna--that's a recipe for a long season.

Dominique Hawkins and Michael Mulder were 3 star players and I'm pretty sure Derrick Willis was too. Nothing wrong with bringing in these guys as long as we keep Reeves and add a big man that can play. I think Thiero may be able to be a defensive stopper in year two, which will really help. 🤔 He looks a lot bigger.
Sure.

I don't think any of those dudes did a ton as a freshman. I welcome the 2 3 stars. And I hope that they can develop into players for us.

But I think this team is already so freshman heavy--we're going to have to get some experienced guys. Otherwise, this elite recruiting class is going to be squandered with not much to show for how talented they are.

Reactions: cal=8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT