He’s a fabulous gatherer of 5* players and marketing genius
But he is atrocious at teaching & coaching

He’s horrible- I’d probably want the ball in Sheppards hands
But our Coach loves to throw the ball to a back to the basket post up player
Analytics say it the worst thing you can do
Guy is just a poor bench Coach

He had a guy wide open for 3 and instead his senior decided to pass to a guy triple teamed. I'm not sure what you want Cal to do about that exactly? Lol

Not quite sure what a terrible pass has to do with Cal.

He called a timeout. And that’s the play he drew up. One big trying to dump it to another big with about 4’ between them, in traffic. And with way too much time on the clock to boot.

If you noticed, I blamed the players as well for poor execution… not just your hero Cal. But that was a stupid play call.

He called a timeout. And that’s the play he drew up. One big trying to dump it to another big with about 4’ between them, in traffic. And with way too much time on the clock to boot.

If you noticed, I blamed the players as well for poor execution… not just your hero Cal. But that was a stupid play call.
Well, of course Cal called a play in which a dumb pass is made. Silly me.

It’s frustrating. It changed the game vs KU when we let them hit a three to end the first.
To be fair, wasn't it the PG Harris? The guy who hit 5 threes against us who never shoots them? The guy who didn't take a shot the game before they played us? Still, gotta close out on any shooter.

Give it a rest, our teams under Cal have been historically bad at the end of the first half, especially in the last few years.

Did I deny that? All I'm saying is you have the ball in the hands of your senior with a guy right beside him open for 3 and instead he passes into a triple team..again..I'm not sure what you want Cal to do about that? Even if the play was designed for Aaron, so what? If he's triple teamed, throw it to the open guy.

Did I deny that? All I'm saying is you have the ball in the hands of your senior with a guy right beside him open for 3 and instead he passes into a triple team..again..I'm not sure what you want Cal to do about that? Even if the play was designed for Aaron, so what? If he's triple teamed, throw it to the open guy.
You're not gonna win this, and I agree with you. I'm not a Cal pumper either. Never have been. But I'm tired of every little thing the guys do is an excuse to bash our coach.

To be fair, wasn't it the PG Harris? The guy who hit 5 threes against us who never shoots them? The guy who didn't take a shot the game before they played us? Still, gotta close out on any shooter.
No, it was Dickinson.

Reactions: grevey35
Dude. FFS. It wasn't that ONE play. They went on an 8-0 run in the last 3 minutes. Get your head out of your ass.

The play wasn't actually a bad play. The execution was bad because the timing was too quick and Mitchell made a bad pass. Bradshaw was cutting to the basket and had an easy lob dunk. Had Mitchell simply thrown it up near the basket Bradshaw dunks it. Mitchell, while Wagner has struggled from 3, could have also hit him for a wide open 3. If he would have missed the 3 there still would have been time to get a putback or a quick shot(about 3 seconds). He could have even passed it to Reed who might have had a more contested shot, but even then he's probably better than a wide open Wagner.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It’s frustrating. It changed the game vs KU when we let them hit a three to end the first.
Kinda, I wish we didn’t let it happen for sure and had a bigger lead but we did extend it to 14 pretty fast in the second half. We just couldn’t defense well enough at the end to pull it out:

He’s horrible- I’d probably want the ball in Sheppards hands
But our Coach loves to throw the ball to a back to the basket post up player
Analytics say it the worst thing you can do
Guy is just a poor bench Coach
Between our in bounds play the other teams inbounds play, closing out a half with the ball, calling timeouts are just a few of his deficiencies.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Tre had Wagner wide open for 3 right in his eye sight. Cal can't make the pass for him dude. I'm as hard on Cal as anyone for the way the offense looks sometimes, but cmon. Players do have to play too.

I've often suspected that with young players, there's only SO much you can work on in a short time, to the point that something like an in bounds play is beaten into a players head. I think Cal, for better or for worse, chooses to dumb the game down for the players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT