ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and the players have no idea how to coach/execute end of half play

Tre Mitchell just didn't execute.

We had a wide open 3 with DJ and an easy lob dunk with Bradshaw. Instead he realized the double too late and made a piss poor pass.

There was also a possibility the guy by Wagner and Reed could have also went towards DJ and DJ could have made a quick pass to Reed who then would have been wide open at the top.

How lucky we are to have a board full of experts who are smarter the every coach and player we have.
Do any of you, in between crying jags, ever consider your stupidity and arrogance? This board is downright ponderous.

Reactions: shodaman
How lucky we are to have a board full of experts who are smarter the every coach and player we have.
Do any of you, in between crying jags, ever consider your stupidity and arrogance? This board is downright ponderous.
Yes apparently we are smarter . YOU DO NOT START THE PLAY UNTIL EIGHT SECONDS LEFT IN THE HALF . WE STARTED AT Eleven seconds left . We missed . They scored . Three seconds made all of the difference . Got it .

He's been here nearly 15 years now. How many memorable in-game adjustments has he made in that span that actually bettered our chance of winning?
Screenshot-2023-12-11-at-2-34-49-PM.png

I could be wrong, but I think it would be difficult to come up with 5 times in the last 20 opportunities where we actually made the basket before the end of the half. I would almost wager that the other team has scored more than us when we held for the last shot- at least going back one season. On the surface, this sounds impossible.

Either way, I would love to know our shooting percentage in those circumstances.

I recentjy saw where our participation rate for players that have two fouls in the first half is 9.1%. League average is 21%.

As an example- If a starter picks up a foul with ten minutes left in the first half and plays one of those remaining minutes, then he’s participated in 10% of the minutes he could have.

Seems like this might contribute to our struggles late in the second half

Did I deny that? All I'm saying is you have the ball in the hands of your senior with a guy right beside him open for 3 and instead he passes into a triple team..again..I'm not sure what you want Cal to do about that? Even if the play was designed for Aaron, so what? If he's triple teamed, throw it to the open guy.
Mike D will argue with any positive statement or explanation that does not meet his agenda.

I could be wrong, but I think it would be difficult to come up with 5 times in the last 20 opportunities where we actually made the basket before the end of the half. I would almost wager that the other team has scored more than us when we held for the last shot- at least going back one season. On the surface, this sounds impossible.

Either way, I would love to know our shooting percentage in those circumstances.

I recentjy saw where our participation rate for players that have two fouls in the first half is 9.1%. League average is 21%.

As an example- If a starter picks up a foul with ten minutes left in the first half and plays one of those remaining minutes, then he’s participated in 10% of the minutes he could have.

Seems like this might contribute to our struggles late in the second half
I think one of the biggest reason we start off bad to start ye game and second half is he refuses to use his best players/most productive line up that goes for the defensive side as well

Reactions: UKortho
I'm glad you high level college coaches who think can coach from the confines of your sedentary position that seldom leaves the recliner post on these boards...

I've often suspected that with young players, there's only SO much you can work on in a short time, to the point that something like an in bounds play is beaten into a players head. I think Cal, for better or for worse, chooses to dumb the game down for the players.
This is exactly correct and Cal has said it a million times. When he says stuff like "we don't work on free throws in practice" it's not because he thinks free throws aren't important. It's because when you have a young team teaching the basics is more important than wasting organized practice time on free throws.

You can critique the recruiting strategy that requires this coaching approach, but there are reasons why Cal chooses what he uses practice time for.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Throw the lob to the 7'1 guy, instead of throwing it at his chest in traffic under the rim. Make sense? LOLOLOL

So youre saying there was a lob available as well as a wide open 3? Dang seems like he drew up something pretty good to me then, no?

But they started the play three seconds too early . That’s basic . Every high school player should know that . At least it was grilled into me . Don’t start the play before eight seconds . That gives the play time to
Develop and reduces the chance of the other team scoring dramatically . It is not rocket science . Even tough I am a rocket scientist .

He's been here nearly 15 years now. How many memorable in-game adjustments has he made in that span that actually bettered our chance of winning?
10-3 in the NCAA tournament in games decided by 5 points or less.

So to answer your question, 10 times. Just in the tournament.

Players have to execute too. We had enough wide open 5 footers for Sarr in ‘21 the end of games to have turned that season around.

He missed every time.

We would have won against St Peters in ‘22 if the midget had just hit free throws.

Sometimes it’s coaching. Sometimes it’s the players.

Sometimes it’s no one’s fault.

Cal certainly didn’t recruit well or player evaluate well for 3 seasons.

He corrected that with this team.

Reactions: UKortho
He’s horrible- I’d probably want the ball in Sheppards hands
But our Coach loves to throw the ball to a back to the basket post up player
Analytics say it the worst thing you can do
Guy is just a poor bench Coach
He’s a fabulous gatherer of 5* players and marketing genius
But he is atrocious at teaching & coaching
And that is why we only have one banner in Rupp during the Cal era despite overwhelming talent. And to make matters worse thing have been going down hill fast in the past 8 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT