ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s Legacy At UK vs. Pitino’s

Does one coach 8 years vs another 14 years not factor in all time accomplishments ? And trajectory is a second argument as well ?

It does.. and honestly, thats the only argument Pitino has here. He was more consistently great than Cal was.

Not sure that trajectory matters, though. That's projection. There's no real way anyone knows if Cal will be bad next year, or great. We might be able to have an idea, and that idea might be perfectly valid.. but you don't count someone's potential career "trajectory" in a debate like this.

It's literally the basis of every sports argument. You can name how many rings Lebron and Jordan won.. but you have to think for a second about how many they lost. Notice Kelce's record he broke yesterday? Jerry Rices playoff catch record. Now someone tell me their playoff pass drop record. Right or wrong, these types of debates are always about what you won, not about the times you came up short.

I think Cal's extra Final4, can probably cancel out some of these years of futility. But if he adds one more, that will do it. However, what if he gets a 7-seed with this team and loses first round? That would count against him, and you then start to push Pitino to the 2nd spot firmly.

But for me, it's hard to think the guy with one less final 4, is in better standing. Four F4's and like 7 or 8 Elite 8's is pretty damn impressive.
Cal achieved his additional FF in the same time frame as pitino achieved his, 6 years. Cal also went to the NIT during this time frame and 2 of his 3 FF’s were unexpected due to how regular season played out. That’s not taking away from it happening but rather taking the whole body of work into account. Cal had 3 years during his great 6 year run that saw us lose 32 games. Pitino lost a total of 30 during his 6 year run from 91-97. And after 14 years compared to 6 for pitino, cal still only has the one extra FF and another missed tourney and our worst ever loss in NCAA history. If you don’t look at overall body of work you aren’t looking at it objectively. Nothing suggest had pitino stayed he was going to have the kind of setback we have endured with cal during his extra time here.

Reactions: crestcat
The answer to your question is right in front of you my little butterfly.

One coach left the program with 99.99 percent of BBN wanting him to stay forever.

The other coach................
Great point. Other than a handful of fanatics on this board, I don't know anyone who doesn't want Cal to leave at this point.

Cal achieved his additional FF in the same time frame as pitino achieved his, 6 years. Cal also went to the NIT during this time frame and 2 of his 3 FF’s were unexpected due to how regular season played out. That’s not taking away from it happening but rather taking the whole body of work into account. Cal had 3 years during his great 6 year run that saw us lose 32 games. Pitino lost a total of 30 during his 6 year run from 91-97. And after 14 years compared to 6 for pitino, cal still only has the one extra FF and another missed tourney and our worst ever loss in NCAA history. If you don’t look at overall body of work you aren’t looking at it objectively. Nothing suggest had pitino stayed he was going to have the kind of setback we have endured with cal during his extra time here.

We don't know how Pitino would fare in the years after.. again that's projecting. But if we want to go down that road.. He sure seemed to have left Kentucky at the perfect time for him, basically being "on top". Kentucky was set to lose it's 3 top performers that year. And sure, maybe 1998 goes well for him.. but what about the years after? It's pretty hard to coach for 14 years and NOT have a few hiccups. I'd say Pitino was smart to get in, get several great seasons in, and strike while the iron was hot.

I think if you want to look at their entire body of work, that's fine. Im just explaining that it's generally not how you do these comparisons. Accolades and hardware are always what is looked at. There's no telling if Pitino would have gotten another Final4, and those are the sort of things people remember.. not when Kentucky lost in the tournament in 2016.

Great point. Other than a handful of fanatics on this board, I don't know anyone who doesn't want Cal to leave at this point.

Blatant generalizations like this are awful, but it's also incorrect. It's not about Calipari leaving, it's about who will replace him. Calipari leaving has considerable risk to leaving the program in a worse state. So, replacing Calipari is 100% predicated on having a successor and the right successor.

And no, "not anyone can just replace Calipari." That's delusional. Gillispie was fired in two years, only to be replaced by Calipari. Tubby Smith basically had zero success after 2005 and made one Final 4 in 10 years. The outcry against Tubby was much louder than it is for Calipari. too. Eddie Sutton rode out in shame.

So, when Calipari leaves, a certain amount of fans will say "Yay!" just like they did when Tubby Smith left, but Billy Gillispie was 10x worse than Tubby...something they all had to admit when the time came.

I love Pitino, BTW.. I really couldn't care less about his personal life. Cheating on his wife? Who cares. College coaches are almost all slime balls, Pitino just didn't do a good enough job covering it up.

He's maybe the best pound for pound coach in basketball in his prime. He was STILL getting a heck of a lot out of UofL in those years, AND with Iona, AND those Greek teams.

Blatant generalizations like this are awful, but it's also incorrect. It's not about Calipari leaving, it's about who will replace him. Calipari leaving has considerable risk to leaving the program in a worse state. So, replacing Calipari is 100% predicated on having a successor and the right successor.

And no, "not anyone can just replace Calipari." That's delusional. Gillispie was fired in two years, only to be replaced by Calipari. Tubby Smith basically had zero success after 2005 and made one Final 4 in 10 years. The outcry against Tubby was much louder than it is for Calipari. too. Eddie Sutton rode out in shame.

So, when Calipari leaves, a certain amount of fans will say "Yay!" just like they did when Tubby Smith left, but Billy Gillispie was 10x worse than Tubby...something they all had to admit when the time came.
It's not a generalization. I don't know anyone that wants him here anymore.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We don't know how Pitino would fare in the years after.. again that's projecting. But if we want to go down that road.. He sure seemed to have left Kentucky at the perfect time for him, basically being "on top". Kentucky was set to lose it's 3 top performers that year. And sure, maybe 1998 goes well for him.. but what about the years after? It's pretty hard to coach for 14 years and NOT have a few hiccups. I'd say Pitino was smart to get in, get several great seasons in, and strike while the iron was hot.

I think if you want to look at their entire body of work, that's fine. Im just explaining that it's generally not how you do these comparisons. Accolades and hardware are always what is looked at. There's no telling if Pitino would have gotten another Final4, and those are the sort of things people remember.. not when Kentucky lost in the tournament in 2016.
We know what happened in 98 but can’t say that the same would have happened under pitino but safe to say he would have had a good year regardless. The following years team was an EE team so again safe to say pitino would not have had a down year then either. Everything beyond that is projecting but hard to see things going south for Rick during his time in Lexington. While accolades are certainly remembered time to achieve those accolades is as well. This will be Cals 15th season, 14 not counting 2020 when there was no tournament. Pitino had 6 eligible seasons. Certainly Cals accolades should be greater than Cal’s but even so they barely are despite more than double the seasons to work with.

1. It's Pitino....not even close.
2. Pitino is the 1996 ring....but the 1998....many fans give Pitino a lot of that credit as he left the talent level at crazy high for Tubby to coach that team to a ring. So, it's almsot like Pitino has 1.5 rings to many.
3. Pitino never had the lows of Cal.....never missed a tournament outside of probation from Sutton.
4. Pitino finished in final AP top 10 every year besides his first year at UK.
5. Pitino got to 3 final fours in 8 years....2 more elite 8 and (and 2 of those years not eligible for post season).
6. Pitino did what was best for him (in his eyes) which was always winning...and thusly winning for UK. He never got into this butt kissing players crap. He made the call to go away from Rod Rhodes...which bounced to the 1996 roster of Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer. He didn't' force Wayne Turner as high rated kid...he played Anthony Epps who fit that roster better. He brought in players like Mark Pope that fit the team needs instead of only wanting high rated guys that maybe didn't fit the system/team needs.

And when Pitino left...vast majority of fanbase hated to see him go but understood the Boston thing he felt he had to scratch that northeastern stuff in his blood. Now going to UL ticked off a ton (including myself) but once you get past that.....Pitino was great for UK and is/was a ton better than Cal (who has been very good...but not elite).
spot on... Pitino also owns a better overall, winning %.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We know what happened in 98 but can’t say that the same would have happened under pitino but safe to say he would have had a good year regardless. The following years team was an EE team so again safe to say pitino would not have had a down year then either. Everything beyond that is projecting but hard to see things going south for Rick during his time in Lexington. While accolades are certainly remembered time to achieve those accolades is as well. This will be Cals 15th season, 14 not counting 2020 when there was no tournament. Pitino had 6 eligible seasons. Certainly Cals accolades should be greater than Cal’s but even so they barely are despite more than double the seasons to work with.

It's not so much that I think things go "south", like he wasn't going to start struggling to make the tournament. But I do think a regression was going to happen, as it seems to happen for every coach who has a great 2-3 year run, having a team that's largely unchanged aside from adding/removing a few pieces here and there.

Look at Jay Wright. Had that great 3 year run. But eventually, you no longer will have any of those great players which were able to bring the team to a Fianl4 level. The year after his title, they had a 10-loss season. The COVID year after they were heading towards a 4-seed or lower. Next year they are a 5-seed, win a S16..

I think that's the sort of thing you could expect Pitino. Not having any bad years really.. but maybe a lot of years where he's in that 10-25th type of team.

It's not a generalization. I don't know anyone that wants him here anymore.

It's an unverifiable statement, but also, fans aren't complicated. You win, they love you. You don't, they criticize. Not rocket science. That also means if Kentucky makes a deep run that legion of doom will start clapping their hands.

Of course, their rebuttal to this is "Kentucky won't make a deep run."

Okay, but that's another unverifiable statement.

Calipari isn't being fired, at least not any time sdoon, but when he chooses to leave, the replacement is what is crucial.

Y’all clearly didn’t really know Pitino. I’ve heard Pitino refer to the uk fan base with disdain as a bunch of rednecks, while he was coach here at his restaurant. The only thing Rick ever loved was Rick.

Outstanding basketball mind though. Could never learn to get his ego out of the way, which is why he ended up at UL.
I got tired of Pitino and his ego real quick but I loved watching his team play. Loved his blowing up Uvel. Cal is not too in love with the “Bennys” so I guess makes them even there.

Both coaches have brought glory to the program and tarnished their reputations here. Which coach in your opinion will have the better retrospective time here IYO?
Pitino took a team that was on NCAA probation and led it to a National Championship (one can argue "two National Championships") and two straight (one can argue "three straight") Final Four appearances. As far as I know, Pitino did nothing during his tenure at U.K. to tarnish his reputation. And with respect to his stature as a college basketball coach, he certainly enhanced his reputation in that realm while at U.K. As far as I know, Pitino never evidenced the fact that he is a despicable human being until after he left U.K.

Conversely ... Calipari took the most prestigious college basketball program in history and has led our storied program into mediocrity.
There are eight (8) teams with four (4) losses who are ranked in the Top 25.

5 Tennessee
6 Wisconsin
7 Duke
8 Kansas
10 Kentucky
12 Iowa State
16 Auburn
20 Florida Atlantic

U.K. is ranked fifth (5th) among those eight teams with the same number of losses. Before 2015 ... if U.K. had the same number of losses as another team, U.K. would be ranked higher than the other team with the same number of losses. But, thanks to Calipari, that is now a thing of the past ! The U.K. name has lost its historical significance. I just hope that I live long enough to see a different head basketball coach at U.K. When that happens, the historical strength of the program will return us to the top, regardless of who the next head basketball coach is.
Just MHO, of course. Go 'Cats !

1. It's Pitino....not even close.
2. Pitino is the 1996 ring....but the 1998....many fans give Pitino a lot of that credit as he left the talent level at crazy high for Tubby to coach that team to a ring. So, it's almsot like Pitino has 1.5 rings to many.
3. Pitino never had the lows of Cal.....never missed a tournament outside of probation from Sutton.
4. Pitino finished in final AP top 10 every year besides his first year at UK.
5. Pitino got to 3 final fours in 8 years....2 more elite 8 and (and 2 of those years not eligible for post season).
6. Pitino did what was best for him (in his eyes) which was always winning...and thusly winning for UK. He never got into this butt kissing players crap. He made the call to go away from Rod Rhodes...which bounced to the 1996 roster of Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer. He didn't' force Wayne Turner as high rated kid...he played Anthony Epps who fit that roster better. He brought in players like Mark Pope that fit the team needs instead of only wanting high rated guys that maybe didn't fit the system/team needs.

And when Pitino left...vast majority of fanbase hated to see him go but understood the Boston thing he felt he had to scratch that northeastern stuff in his blood. Now going to UL ticked off a ton (including myself) but once you get past that.....Pitino was great for UK and is/was a ton better than Cal (who has been very good...but not elite).
I agree, another thing I remember about Pitino was if he had a better team then you had he’d beat you. No 17 point blowouts on the road

Reactions: crashtestdummy
Pitino took a team that was on NCAA probation and led it to a National Championship (one can argue "two National Championships") and two straight (one can argue "three straight") Final Four appearances. As far as I know, Pitino did nothing during his tenure at U.K. to tarnish his reputation. And with respect to his stature as a college basketball coach, he certainly enhanced his reputation in that realm while at U.K. As far as I know, Pitino never evidenced the fact that he is a despicable human being until after he left U.K.

Conversely ... Calipari took the most prestigious college basketball program in history and has led our storied program into mediocrity.
There are eight (8) teams with four (4) losses who are ranked in the Top 25.

5 Tennessee
6 Wisconsin
7 Duke
8 Kansas
10 Kentucky
12 Iowa State
16 Auburn
20 Florida Atlantic

U.K. is ranked fifth (5th) among those eight teams with the same number of losses. Before 2015 ... if U.K. had the same number of losses as another team, U.K. would be ranked higher than the other team with the same number of losses. But, thanks to Calipari, that is now a thing of the past ! The U.K. name has lost its historical significance. I just hope that I live long enough to see a different head basketball coach at U.K. When that happens, the historical strength of the program will return us to the top, regardless of who the next head basketball coach is.
Just MHO, of course. Go 'Cats !

Uh, what?

Calipari inherited an NIT team who was about as successful as the 1988-1989 Kentucky basketball team. The coach prior to him was fired for being awful. The coach before him left after mediocrity for the better part of 10 years.

Furthermore, the irony is that the coach who restored UK's dominance is John Calipari. Rest of the argument about the timing of rankings, is a reflection of when you last won or lost. That's not a serious argument.

Uh, what?

Calipari inherited an NIT team who was about as successful as the 1988-1989 Kentucky basketball team. The coach prior to him was fired for being awful. The coach before him left after mediocrity for the better part of 10 years.

Furthermore, the irony is that the coach who restored UK's dominance is John Calipari. Rest of the argument about the timing of rankings, is a reflection of when you last won or lost. That's not a serious argument.
Pitino took over a team on probation that had severe limitations and a gutted roster and made them competitive immediately. When he left, UK was on top.

Tubby was not mediocre for 10 years. UK was still dominant up until the last season or two.

Calipari did not take over a team on probation. He didn't have those restrictions. He did make it successful immediately, but then was in the NIT himself by year 4. And the last 3 years or so have been as bad or worse than Gillispie's seasons until this current one.

Pitino took over a team on probation that had severe limitations and a gutted roster and made them competitive immediately. When he left, UK was on top.

Tubby was not mediocre for 10 years. UK was still dominant up until the last season or two.

Calipari did not take over a team on probation. He didn't have those restrictions. He did make it successful immediately, but then was in the NIT himself by year 4. And the last 3 years or so have been as bad or worse than Gillispie's seasons until this current one.
I said Tubby had mediocre teams for the better part of 10 years: 99, 2000, 2001, 2004 (2nd round exit), 2006, 2007. So, that’s factually correct.

Obviously Calipari didn’t take over a team on probation. The point, which you are dodging, is that he didn’t inherit a program at its peak. It was the worst it had been since 1989. Yet your argument is that it was Calipari who “lowered standards”. At least be accurate

Pitino teams play D from one end to the other more fun to watch, Pitino did not have as many 5 stars as Cal most of the time.

One loved Big blue nation , One thinks it's a group of red neck hillbillies. Thats enough for me .
I'm not sure which one you're attributing to each sentiment, but if you think Pitino "loved the big blue nation," that's got to be a joke because you've completely reversed it. No coach at UK - or probably anywhere in college historically - had less respect and more almost disgust for a people than Pitino did for Kentuckians. I was at UK during this time and believe me the common fan was the great unwashed masses in his mind - especially from outside Louisville or Lexington (although he didn't want anything to do with those folks either). Some wanted to attribute the attitude to his wife, but I think he was more "I'm so much better than these people" than she was - she just preferred NY over Lexington.

Calipari on the other hand, came from self-perceived humbler beginnings. He was a coal miner's grandson and he was raised blue collar working-class. I think Calipari could make all the money in the world and isolate himself from fans for years and still could never approach the level of disrespect Pitino had for the fanbase and people of KY. You can think whatever you want, of course. But I would remind that just because a guy is a great basketball coach and we enjoyed how the teams played, doesn't make him a good person. Pitino wasn't a good person when he was at UK in my opinion for the reason I've stated (not because he left or coached at UL), and suggesting he was some great person while at UK and then mysteriously became "bad" when he started coaching at UL is delusional transference.

But again, if we want to talk about being a great coach of college basketball, then I'm with you 100%.

Reactions: Seakat311
You mean the guy who flipped off UK fans "loves" big blue nation....laughably stupid comment.
It's hilarious that you and a few others here haven't gotten over what was the world's most benign middle finger. You guys carry that grudge like a bunch of spurned 7th grade girls. It makes me laugh every time, because you guys have absolutely nothing on Pitino's mark as a coach here. As a result, you have to point at his character in his post-Kentucky years.

Red herrings galore from you and the other Cal cultists as you pathetically attempt to deflect from the actual arguments! Hilarious!

It's hilarious that you and a few others here haven't gotten over what was the world's most benign middle finger. You guys carry that grudge like a bunch of spurned 7th grade girls. It makes me laugh every time, because you guys have absolutely nothing on Pitino's mark as a coach here. As a result, you have to point at his character in his post-Kentucky years.

Red herrings galore from you and the other Cal cultists as you pathetically attempt to deflect from the actual arguments! Hilarious!
Funny, walking off the floor to the locker room and the UK fans are heckling him and he flips them off, damn what a rotten human being.

I'm not sure which one you're attributing to each sentiment, but if you think Pitino "loved the big blue nation," that's got to be a joke because you've completely reversed it. No coach at UK - or probably anywhere in college historically - had less respect and more almost disgust for a people than Pitino did for Kentuckians. I was at UK during this time and believe me the common fan was the great unwashed masses in his mind - especially from outside Louisville or Lexington (although he didn't want anything to do with those folks either). Some wanted to attribute the attitude to his wife, but I think he was more "I'm so much better than these people" than she was - she just preferred NY over Lexington.

Calipari on the other hand, came from self-perceived humbler beginnings. He was a coal miner's grandson and he was raised blue collar working-class. I think Calipari could make all the money in the world and isolate himself from fans for years and still could never approach the level of disrespect Pitino had for the fanbase and people of KY. You can think whatever you want, of course. But I would remind that just because a guy is a great basketball coach and we enjoyed how the teams played, doesn't make him a good person. Pitino wasn't a good person when he was at UK in my opinion for the reason I've stated (not because he left or coached at UL), and suggesting he was some great person while at UK and then mysteriously became "bad" when he started coaching at UL is delusional transference.

But again, if we want to talk about being a great coach of college basketball, then I'm with you 100%.
At this point I’d say Cal has racked up more shots at the fan base than Pitino. Cal doesn’t like the hillbillies beyond what they can do to advance his agendas.

At this point I’d say Cal has racked up more shots at the fan base than Pitino. Cal doesn’t like the hillbillies beyond what they can do to advance his agendas.
I think I touched a nerve with G-pip but oh well... and listen to a small extent I agree with him .. when he came here he seemed like an arrogant out of towner that looked down his nose at Kentucky folk .. but I think that reversed the longer he stayed around , and he grew to admire BBN . JMHO

My two favorite periods as a UK fan were 92-97 and 10-15. Asking me to pick which was better is like asking me to pick my favorite child. Pitino was a jerk. Still is. Cal simply hung on too long. He should have left three years ago.

I'll take Cal as the better person and recruiter, Pitino as the much better practice coach and say that both were above average game coaches but not elite.

I think I touched a nerve with G-pip but oh well... and listen to a small extent I agree with him .. when he came here he seemed like an arrogant out of towner that looked down his nose at Kentucky folk .. but I think that reversed the longer he stayed around , and he grew to admire BBN . JMHO
No nerve. And heck it's none of my business however you feel about Pitino. That's your right, and we're good regardless. Pitino could definitely coach - I think I've freely admitted that - and those teams were usually entertaining as all get out. I'm probably just a little too touchy about Kentuckians, and I know what he thought about us - when he arrived and when he left, and I doubt age has changed that. And if Calipari has similar thoughts, then in my book he's a pretty worthless human being as well.

Reactions: ManitouDan

The fact that Pitino DID come back and get to two FFs at a crap school like U6, and win the title as well, should count in his favor, considering he had to build that program basically from scratch as well. If you're going to argue that we don't have any data from Pitino staying at UK, it's fair to count his other successes as well. Saying "there's no telling if Pitino would have gotten another Final4" is absurd on its face, considering that he did so at a lesser school years later.

Pitino always was and even still is always interesting to listen to, however much of a bunghole he may undeniably be and whatever you want to say about his morals. There are lots of medical procedures I’d rather be subjected to than listen to Cal yammer even if we’re winning big.

The fact that Pitino DID come back and get to two FFs at a crap school like U6, and win the title as well, should count in his favor, considering he had to build that program basically from scratch as well. If you're going to argue that we don't have any data from Pitino staying at UK, it's fair to count his other successes as well. Saying "there's no telling if Pitino would have gotten another Final4" is absurd on its face, considering that he did so at a lesser school years later.

Well.. not really. There's just no telling what happens. We don't get to count what we THINK Pitino would do if he stayed.

And again, we're not talking some dramatic fall off.. but it's unreasonable to think he was just going to keep repeating his success from 96 to 98. No coach has done that in modern day basketball. Even the best ones have ebs and flows. It honestly goes back to another thread today about why Houston and Purdue are so good. It's because they've had a nice 2-3 year stretch where they kept a good portion of a great team in tact. Yes coaching matters.. but sometimes it's about just landing the right team. Pitino landed the right group of guys in those years. Other years he didn't.

There's also the part about Cal owning Pitino over the last 15 years. Even our lesser teams, Cal would almost always get the better of him. And we can say "well one had UK resources..".. but the records aren't even close enough to make excuses like that. Cal owned him. Pitino, for his ability, should have gotten a few more wins than he did. But Cal was living in his head at this point.

Last edited:
Well.. not really. There's just no telling what happens. We don't get to count what we THINK Pitino would do if he stayed.

And again, we're not talking some dramatic fall off.. but it's unreasonable to think he was just going to keep repeating his success from 96 to 98. No coach has done that in modern day basketball. Even the best ones have ebs and flows. It honestly goes back to another thread today about why Houston and Purdue are so good. It's because they've had a nice 2-3 year stretch where they kept a good portion of a great team in tact. Yes coaching matters.. but sometimes it's about just landing the right team. Pitino landed the right group of guys in those years. Other years he didn't.

There's also the part about Cal owning Pitino over the last 15 years. Even our lesser teams, Cal would almost always get the better of him. And we can say "well one had UK resources..".. but the records aren't even close enough to make excuses like that. Cal owned him. Pitino, for his ability, should have gotten a few more wins than he did. But Cal was living in his head at this point.
First of all, you brought it up. Second, the fact that he did it TWICE at a crap school is a good indicator that he wasn't washed up when he left in 1997. It's very likely that if he could do it at U6, he could do it again at UK. Third, I wasn't saying he would have had the exact same run as he did from 96-98. That's a straw man.

Last edited:
Reactions: ukjenning44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT