ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark finally broke the record.

Both athletes competed under the same umbrella organization. Both were NCAA athletes. It shouldn’t be a shock to you or anyone else that the media, who only cares about clicks, would report on this story. The Japanese comparison doesn’t make much sense.

It feels like it should be a pretty simple and understood concept that there should be some celebration of her without taking anything away from Pistol Pete. What’s the alternative? Should her scoring just simply be ignored? If not how do you suggest we recognize it? Maybe a one giant asterisk party for her?

How about we all recognize her as a great FEMALE athlete, tops in her sport, going to make bank on endorsements, etc (already is) and quit conflating 2 DIFFERENT sports, with a different size ball, different refs, arenas many times, fans bases, coaches etc.

Records are the answer to a trivia question about statistics.
Who scored the most points. Who scored the most points per game in men's games? Who made the most field goals?

No qualifications about shooting it from far away when that didn't get you anything. Not concerned with opponents quality, did they help team make ncaa tournament, final four, or championship, did they use a smaller ball, was there father a coach.

She is now the answer to a question. Very weird that it triggers a bunch of "Well but's"

How about we all recognize her a great FEMALE athlete, tops in her sport, going to make bank on endorsements, etc (already is) and quot coflating 2 DIFFERENT sports, with a different size ball, different refs, arenas many times, fans bases, coaches etc.
Who is conflating the two? People like you are the ones putting such an intense emphasis on it all. Sounds like you’re more of the same of people making a huge deal out of nothing.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I’m curious what sport(s) you think the top female athletes are playing? My daughter was active in sports growing up and, from what I observed, basketball and soccer were the two most popular physical sports on the women’s side. Sure, you have cheerleading and dancing but the top athletes in those are not typically going to transition well to basketball. There is also softball and field hockey, both of which seemed to have a much smaller following.

On the men’s side basketball competes with football, which doesn’t apply on the women’s side. Also, soccer continues to grow in the US.
Track and field, soccer, gymnastics, cheerleading, volleyball.

Not to be a smart ass, or down play the girls achievements. however lets either take away a point for every 3 pointer she made. or go back and plot the shot pistol took and any outside the 3 point line add him a point. BIG DIFFERENCE. To me Pistol Pete will always be the points leader.
I don't think anyone is under the delusion that she and Maravich are in any way comparable. Everything comes with an asterisk these days. Even this record is for "major" colleges. There are two players who played for smaller ones that have more points.

I don't think anyone is under the delusion that she and Maravich are in any way comparable. Everything comes with an asterisk these days. Even this record is for "major" colleges. There are two players who played for smaller ones that have more points.
You’d think so but why is every headline about how this is the “NCAA” record? In reality it’s the NCAA Women’s Basketball record. Different rules, different sport.

To me it diminishes the impressiveness of it by trying to shoehorn it into a girl did something guy didn’t do thing.

Both athletes competed under the same umbrella organization. Both were NCAA athletes. It shouldn’t be a shock to you or anyone else that the media, who only cares about clicks, would report on this story. The Japanese comparison doesn’t make much sense.

It feels like it should be a pretty simple and understood concept that there should be some celebration of her without taking anything away from Pistol Pete. What’s the alternative? Should her scoring just simply be ignored? If not how do you suggest we recognize it? Maybe a one giant asterisk party for her?
It’s simple. Celebrate her for becoming the all time leading scored on women’s college basketball. Nothing more, nothing less. Would that be so hard? Stop conflating men’s and women’s sports under one umbrella. Caitlin Clark had no more opportunity to compete in the same realm as Pistol Pete as he did in hers. Two separate entities.

They do but Fball and Bball attract a huge majority of the best athletes. Women’s basketball while highly popular is down the totem pole compared to some of those others.
What are you basing the popularity off of? Volleyball is one I missed that has really grown and would be a logical alternative to basketball.

You don't really think cheerleading and gymnastics are taking potential star basketball players, right? Cheer and gymnastics athletes are typically smaller, petite women who are in non-contact competitions.

I think you could make the case that men's basketball has more competition for top male athletes than women's basketball does for the top female athletes.

It’s simple. Celebrate her for becoming the all time leading scored on women’s college basketball. Nothing more, nothing less. Would that be so hard? Stop conflating men’s and women’s sports under one umbrella. Caitlin Clark had no more opportunity to compete in the same realm as Pistol Pete as he did in hers. Two separate entities.
I’ve never conflated the two but go off I guess.

What are you basing the popularity off of? Volleyball is one I missed that has really grown and would be a logical alternative to basketball.

You don't really think cheerleading and gymnastics are taking potential star basketball players, right? Cheer and gymnastics athletes are typically smaller, petite women who are in non-contact competitions.

I think you could make the case that men's basketball has more competition for top male athletes than women's basketball does for the top female athletes.
It’s more complicated than that, I’m talking about when you have a possibility for a top talent athlete what sport they choose. Men’s basketball has high level players who don’t fit the typical build of a high level men’s player. Think Tyler Ulis/Markquis Nowell type players. I’m sure there are plenty of high quality short women athletes who choose other sports but could have been transcendent basketball players if they didn’t go into other sports.

Are you suggesting the gap between the best and worst women’s D1 players isn’t larger than men? Have you watched the sport at all? Do you see how top heavy the same teams are in terms of talent in NCAAW? Everyone talks about parity in NCAAM over the last 20 years shrinking substantially. Just look at how often the top 10 this year has lost.

No one is accusing YOU of conflating the two. Sensible people are simply pointing out that the media is conflating the two for the sake of drama and hype, and it’s laughable. No one wishes to take anything away from Clark’s accomplishments.
This exactly. Love to watch her. She’s really impressive and being the best in her sport should be celebrated and be enough for her to garner the attention and praise. Comparing it to the men’s record lessens her accomplishment as it’s being used for as you said drama and hype.

It’s more complicated than that, I’m talking about when you have a possibility for a top talent athlete what sport they choose. Men’s basketball has high level players who don’t fit the typical build of a high level men’s player. Think Tyler Ulis/Markquis Nowell type players. I’m sure there are plenty of high quality short women athletes who choose other sports but could have been transcendent basketball players if they didn’t go into other sports.

Are you suggesting the gap between the best and worst women’s D1 players isn’t larger than men? Have you watched the sport at all? Do you see how top heavy the same teams are in terms of talent in NCAAW? Everyone talks about parity in NCAAM over the last 20 years shrinking substantially. Just look at how often the top 10 this year has lost.
Nope, I didn't say that anywhere. What I'm saying is that basketball is one of the top women's sports and to think that cheer or dance are stealing potential elite basketball players is pretty far fetched. Sure, there might be one-off exceptions but they would be few and far between. There is typically a reason those girls went in that direction and not in the direction of a more physical, team contact sport.

I'm also saying that on the mens side, top male athletes have just as many alternative options, if not more, than the top women athletes do.

I'm not an expert here but I do have a teenage son and a teenage daughter, both of whom have been active in sports. So, I'm speaking towards what I've recently seen and experienced with my kids.

How many different ways are you all going to try to run down Clark’s achievement? Here, you’re making a tortured argument that she’s not playing against the best female athletes so she’s really not as impressive as she seems.

A couple of other posters (not you) have advanced the idiotic criticism that high school males could score as many points against women as Clark. As if that had any relevance.

Do you all have wives or daughters?

She’s arguably the most polarizing athlete in men’s or women’s college basketball right now. She’s the top selling athlete on Fanatics in the NIL era. Of course she isn’t Pistol Pete but she’s an amazing women’s player. Records are about longevity and timing. Pistols record will be hard to break on the men’s side because of guys jumping to pros. It’s kind of nice to see great players stay in college and compete. I enjoy watching her play with my daughters.

Nope, I didn't say that anywhere. What I'm saying is that basketball is one of the top women's sports and to think that cheer or dance are stealing potential elite basketball players is pretty far fetched. Sure, there might be one-off exceptions but they would be few and far between. There is typically a reason those girls went in that direction and not in the direction of a more physical, team contact sport.

I'm also saying that on the mens side, top male athletes have just as many alternative options, if not more, than the top women athletes do.

I'm not an expert here but I do have a teenage son and a teenage daughter, both of whom have been active in sports. So, I'm speaking towards what I've recently seen and experienced with my kids.
Nothing you said is wrong here but basketball is only recently growing in popularity for girls but has always been one of the most popular sports for men. The whole point of the statement was to show the ridiculousness of comparing the men’s and women’s record. Part of that, but obviously not all of it, is that the talent pool as a whole for women’s bball isn’t nearly as deep as men’s. None of this is said to diminish the accomplishment just to critique the comparison.

Not to be a smart ass, or down play the girls achievements. however lets either take away a point for every 3 pointer she made. or go back and plot the shot pistol took and any outside the 3 point line add him a point. BIG DIFFERENCE. To me Pistol Pete will always be the points leader.
Pistol is the men's point leader, and everyone acknowledges that that is more impressive. I've not heard any say she is better than him, just that she scored more points in her college career. They actually write down how many points people score.

How many different ways are you all going to try to run down Clark’s achievement? Here, you’re making a tortured argument that she’s not playing against the best female athletes so she’s really not as impressive as she seems.

A couple of other posters (not you) have advanced the idiotic criticism that high school males could score as many points against women as Clark. As if that had any relevance.

Not diminishing the accomplishment at all, just the media’s idiocy of hyping up her breaking the men’s record like it’s a fair comparison.

What if she played against men?
What if he played against women?

Who would have the record?
Would you even know her name?

Reactions: bIhawk
I don’t understand wanting to intermingle stats between men and women’s sports.

A lot of the best male athletes in America choose basketball, but many of the top females choose other things. The total talent pool of high quality athletes for each gender in basketball creates a substantial gap between the best and the rest. Which is why things like Geno winning 50 championships in a row, while mightily impressive, just simply isn’t comparable to the men’s game.

The sports are separate for a reason, let their records and accomplishments stand on their own.
They do. There is not some "record depository" where she gets some benefit for scoring more points. It is just being pointed out.

They do. There is not some "record depository" where she gets some benefit for scoring more points. It is just being pointed out.
Pointed out for what reason? It’s simply not comparable. It diminishes the accomplishment by turning it into some type of pandering or patronizing thing comparing it to something it’s simply not comparable to.

It should be celebrated because she’s clearly the best scorer the woman’s game has ever seen and that should be enough.

Not diminishing the accomplishment at all, just the media’s idiocy of hyping up her breaking the men’s record like it’s a fair comparison.
No one has said she broke the men's record. They just say that she has scored more points in NCAA than everyone else, men or women. If you actually read the articles, they all point out the differences.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
No one has said she broke the men's record. They just say that she has scored more points in NCAA than everyone else, men or women. If you actually read the articles, they all point out the differences.
lol just google Caitlyn Clark for me please. Scroll down and every single headline says something along the lines of passes Pete Maravich.

Comparing Women’s and Men’s basketball records is no different than comparing Men’s Basketball and Football scoring records. The ball isn’t even the same size for crying out loud.

Way too much negativity on here... I am pretty sure that less than 1% of anyone on here (he, she, they) could do this against the same competition that she faced (but I'm sure many believe so in their heads). Why not just celebrate it? I don't watch women's hoops (nor NBA), but I sure watched the game today to see what she and her team did. Pretty incredible, no matter what gender.
I live in Iowa City and once watched Samantha Logic workout (1st team AA, Big 10 POY, top 5 WNBA draft pick). In a one-on-zero drill, she missed three straight layups then had a hissy fit about it. It was the most appalling display of basketball ineptitude I've witnessed in my cotton picking life.... So yea, I think that most physically healthy dudes on this board could roll out of bed and bust Caitlyn Clark's ass.

Nice achievement as a few others have said. If people didn't care, this thread would only have a few responses. Instead, it's likely to go multiple pages. I'm also enjoying the always weird, passively aggressive comments, whether it's proudly claiming you don't care (even though you're commenting about a subject you "don't care" about), bitching about the media, or whining about wokeness. It is an accomplishment and it's something none of us have the skill to do. Ain't nothing wrong with just saying "Good job!" without taking the thread in a bitter direction.
What’s the fun in that?

How is that an 'idiotic criticism' when we see men all over women's sports breaking records?

You think if a top 50nrivals guy in 24 transitions and plays women's ball he won't absolutely dominate?

Let's put Cyril Somto on a women's team in the SEC next year and see what happens. 70 points 50 boards a game.

Course, Somto might not break her record as he would be the #1 pick in the wnba draft after one season. (He still might break it)

I live in Iowa City and once watched Samantha Logic workout (1st team AA, Big 10 POY, top 5 WNBA draft pick). In a one-on-zero drill, she missed three straight layups then had a hissy fit about it. It was the most appalling display of basketball ineptitude I've witnessed in my cotton picking life.... So yea, I think that most physically healthy dudes on this board could roll out of bed and bust Caitlyn Clark's ass.
Can you hit a shot from 35 feet?

• Haha
Pete scored 741 points his freshmen year. Competition was way tougher than Clark's. Why can't we retroactively add those to his total.
He averaged 44 points a game. She has played like 35 more games than him. Let's say he would average like 34 points if he had of got a freshman season. Since a the freshman team seasons weren't as long he would have almost 1200 mote points

Lot easier with a smaller ball.
So you can make a 35 foot shot with the smaller ball, consistently like her? Bull Shit. I don't know why everyone is pissed about this girl doing well. No one has said she is better than Maravich. And there is no one on this board that can out shoot her, even using the smaller ball.

• Haha
Reactions: Emarc and bIhawk
So you can make a 35 foot shot with the smaller ball, consistently like her? Bull Shit. I don't know why everyone is pissed about this girl doing well. No one has said she is better than Maravich. And there is no one on this board that can out shoot her, even using the smaller ball.
I haven’t seen anyone take anything away from her accomplishments, only take fault with the media categorizing it along side a different sport’s record, with different rules. When viewed from the perspective of her sport everyone I’ve seen is saying it’s impressive and should be celebrated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT