ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark finally broke the record.

I dont understand the logic.

Pete played 3 seasons.

Clark played 4.

Pete played against men, Clark plays against women.

If it's the same why don't we have co ed teams and one league? Could it be because Clark wouldn't make the cut and it would be all males?

I don’t understand wanting to intermingle stats between men and women’s sports.

A lot of the best male athletes in America choose basketball, but many of the top females choose other things. The total talent pool of high quality athletes for each gender in basketball creates a substantial gap between the best and the rest. Which is why things like Geno winning 50 championships in a row, while mightily impressive, just simply isn’t comparable to the men’s game.

The sports are separate for a reason, let their records and accomplishments stand on their own.

Pete scored 741 points his freshmen year. Competition was way tougher than Clark's. Why can't we retroactively add those to his total.

Reactions: IbnSaran
I dont understand the logic.

Pete played 3 seasons.

Clark played 4.

Pete played against men, Clark plays against women.

If it's the same why don't we have co ed teams and one league? Could it be because Clark wouldn't make the cut and it would be all males?
She is about to find out how much people care about women’s basketball. She has the record for most points scored in college by either a man or woman. If she was a man, she would have been in the Pro’s already. Wonder what her other job will be along with WNBA - shooting coach for a college?

Not to be a smart ass, or down play the girls achievements. however lets either take away a point for every 3 pointer she made. or go back and plot the shot pistol took and any outside the 3 point line add him a point. BIG DIFFERENCE. To me Pistol Pete will always be the points leader.
And only played 83 games vs 129.

Total stats are meaningless when comparing cross generations. Averages per game matter. Totals only matter when you’re looking at all time team comparisons in the same sport etc

Reactions: IbnSaran and KFuqua
She is about to find out how much people care about women’s basketball. She has the record for most points scored in college by either a man or woman. If she was a man, she would have been in the Pro’s already. Wonder what her other job will be along with WNBA - shooting coach for a college?
I agree nobody cares. But she won’t need a second job. Nike will sign her as the face of all women’s sports essentially and she will have a shoe deal and be in every Nike commercial as the required female. Like Mia Hamm or Serena Williams

Reactions: bIhawk
Apparently on a technical FT? Lame way to pass it

Congrats to Clark… but it’s definitely not as exciting as “a THREE from THE LOGO!!!”

The NCAA promotions dept. is doing a facepalm, too. It takes a lot of pizzazz out of their plans to use that moment non-stop during the Tournament and beyond.

(Oh… and nothing can ever really compare to what Pistol Pete accomplished.)

Reactions: bigbluedon
Not to be a smart ass, or down play the girls achievements. however lets either take away a point for every 3 pointer she made. or go back and plot the shot pistol took and any outside the 3 point line add him a point. BIG DIFFERENCE. To me Pistol Pete will always be the points leader.
Am I mistaken that she played 5 seasons w COVID, or was it 4?

She’s the biggest name in college sports right now . It’s not shocking that they are saying she broke the record for college basketball . More clicks more discussions.

This.

You won't hear any espn men's basketball analyst say this out loud but Bilas and company are rolling their eyes in secret.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I think that will be the take of any logical person while ackowleding Clark in her own right. There isn’t a line that needs drawn in the sand here. A heck of an accomplishment by Clark nonetheless.

Reactions: ala_kat2
imagine her total if allowed to shoot 40 times a game.
Former LSU coach Dale Brown noted that recordings of Maravich's games make clear he routinely shot from beyond 20 feet. He and retired Baton Rouge-area sports writer Sam King concluded that Maravich would have averaged about 54 points per game had a 3-point line — adopted by the NCAA in 1986 — existed when he played.

Nice achievement as a few others have said. If people didn't care, this thread would only have a few responses. Instead, it's likely to go multiple pages. I'm also enjoying the always weird, passively aggressive comments, whether it's proudly claiming you don't care (even though you're commenting about a subject you "don't care" about), bitching about the media, or whining about wokeness. It is an accomplishment and it's something none of us have the skill to do. Ain't nothing wrong with just saying "Good job!" without taking the thread in a bitter direction.

Exactly, if they are going to bring his name up they need to include no threes back then and didn't he only play 3 years cause freshman didn't play varsity?

Nice achievement as a few others have said. If people didn't care, this thread would only have a few responses. Instead, it's likely to go multiple pages. I'm also enjoying the always weird, passively aggressive comments, whether it's proudly claiming you don't care (even though you're commenting about a subject you "don't care" about), bitching about the media, or whining about wokeness. It is an accomplishment and it's something none of us have the skill to do. Ain't nothing wrong with just saying "Good job!" without taking the thread in a bitter direction.
Says the chairman( I'm guessing you identify that way) of the woke squad.

Reactions: bIhawk and Ugoff
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT