ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark finally broke the record.

imagine her total if allowed to shoot 40 times a game.
So we are using the “Pete took more shots” angle to try to counter the “she’s played 129 games to Pistols 83. The issue with that is game length is a set length. Pete didn’t have extended minutes to get up more shots. He still averaged over 5 assist so he wasn’t shooting every trip…pace of lay was just faster despite no shot clock. She’s a gunner as well.

(weird way to measure career stats since it’s making a hypothetical from something that was possible by rules but not accomplished)…. (other than games played and adding how many more shots Pistol would have taken seeing as scorers have to shoot to score in the actual minutes played and she had that opportunity but didn’t do it…thats part of a scoring title….anyways back to back to a hypothetical of adding to her shot attempts the scorer chose not to shoot). The only logical way to “even circumstance” is to take the stats that actually happened not create stats that never happens.

She’s made 503 3pters (per espn stats currently updated) so the easiest comparison is that she needs another 230-250 fgs (range based on how many freethrows she may hit between now and April…made by season end to truly eclipse without a debate other than “she had an extra year/games”. But again that’s trying to create something that didn’t happen. Thats a slippery slope where we could take any one and done and be like “if they played 4 years they’d have this record” and that’s equally as silly.

It is a heck of an accomplishment and she’s phenomenal. But massive rule changes in the game contributed to it which is why cross generational comparisons should use per game averages only bc the factors are vast and limiting otherwise.

She’s a hell of a player. What I’m confused about are the myriad of people that are somehow offended that she scored enough points to break the record. It’s fine to point out that Pistol Pete only had 3 seasons and no three point line. That’s not Caitlin’s fault though, so why hold it against her.

She’s a hell of a player. What I’m confused about are the myriad of people that are somehow offended that she scored enough points to break the record. It’s fine to point out that Pistol Pete only had 3 seasons and no three point line. That’s not Caitlin’s fault though, so why hold it against her.

We aren't offended, it's just two different entities.

Why do we never hear that ucla men and uconn women both have 11 ncaa basketball titles?

Or why doesn't uconn claim 16 to be number 1? If we are combining men and women's sports then uconn has the most titles.

UT also has 8 women's to UKs 8 men titles. So I guess UT us tied with UK for now 3rd all time n titles.

That's our only point.

Former LSU coach Dale Brown noted that recordings of Maravich's games make clear he routinely shot from beyond 20 feet. He and retired Baton Rouge-area sports writer Sam King concluded that Maravich would have averaged about 54 points per game had a 3-point line — adopted by the NCAA in 1986 — existed when he played.
I’ve always thought that number was way high. That means he would have made 10 3 pointers per game. He shot .438 from the field during his career. So, conservatively, let’s say he was .388 from what would have been a 3 pointer. That means he’s would have shot 25 times a game from 3 point range to average 10 makes.

I find it hard to believe that 25 of his 38 attempts per game (career average attempts) would have been from 3.

We aren't offended, it's just two different entities.

Why do we never hear that ucla men and uconn women both have 11 ncaa basketball titles?

Or why doesn't uconn claim 16 to be number 1? If we are combining men and women's sports then uconn has the most titles.

UT also has 8 women's to UKs 8 men titles. So I guess UT us tied with UK for now 3rd all time n titles.

That's our only point.
I never called you out personally but if you feel as such that's fine. I’ll just say that Caitlin Clark is the first big national Women’s basketball star since NIL began. She also belongs to a sport that is desperate to generate buzz and NIL opportunity so there will obviously be a push to market her name. It’s not surprising that her name is all over the place right now.

None is that to say that her accomplishments are in the same stratosphere as Pistol Pete’s. But I’m not going to be the person to feel the need to point that out.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Congrats to Clark… but it’s definitely not as exciting as “a THREE from THE LOGO!!!”

The NCAA promotions dept. is doing a facepalm, too. It takes a lot of pizzazz out of their plans to use that moment non-stop during the Tournament and beyond.

(Oh… and nothing can ever really compare to what Pistol Pete accomplished.)
If Clark was a savvy business woman, she would have missed that free throw and made sure it was a highlight worthy moment.

Even though I’ll say again… she broke no such record… but whatever. She’s still gonna make bank marketing herself… far more than she will ever make playing basketball.

She’s a tremendous player. No doubt. But when Pete played it was such a different game and time. He didn’t play as many games, only 83. No 3pt shot. No shot clock. I don’t believe freshmen played varsity back then.

I dont understand the logic.

Pete played 3 seasons.

Clark played 4.

Pete played against men, Clark plays against women.

If it's the same why don't we have co ed teams and one league? Could it be because Clark wouldn't make the cut and it would be all males?

It’s a great accomplishment for women’s basketball. But, it had nothing to do with Pistol Pete.

It seems as if they are trying to cram women’s basketball down our throats. Any decent boy’s high school player would break Clark’s record in 2 seasons.
Also, just as the girl’s game gets a little traction, it is revealed as the shit show it truly is. Mulkey and Staley, the coaching face(s) of this game are complete idiots.
I do have a question, why are so many of the female college players fat? You don’t see this in the men’s game.

• Love
Reactions: bIhawk and flacat22
Congrats to Clark. It's a great accomplishment and she's a heck of a player. I don't typically watch women's basketball but I've intentionally watched several of her games this year.

As a few others have said, I'm not sure why some are getting all worked up over this accomplishment. I haven't heard anyone say the women's game is equal to the men's or that the era Pistol Pete played in is the same as today.

I also don't buy into the "better competition" argument. The women's game has evolved and Clark plays against top-level women's competition. It's not like she scored all her points in a women's YMCA league. She's playing against the highest level of non-professional women's basketball players that there is.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Not to be a smart ass, or down play the girls achievements. however lets either take away a point for every 3 pointer she made. or go back and plot the shot pistol took and any outside the 3 point line add him a point. BIG DIFFERENCE. To me Pistol Pete will always be the points leader.
Pete also did it in THREE years

Reactions: ruppcat

Pete played 3 seasons.

Clark played 4.

If it's the same why don't we have co ed teams and one league? Could it be because Clark wouldn't make the cut and it would be all males?
Meathead. lol. Thanks for outing yourself.

Way too much negativity on here... I am pretty sure that less than 1% of anyone on here (he, she, they) could do this against the same competition that she faced (but I'm sure many believe so in their heads). Why not just celebrate it? I don't watch women's hoops (nor NBA), but I sure watched the game today to see what she and her team did. Pretty incredible, no matter what gender.

Nice achievement as a few others have said. If people didn't care, this thread would only have a few responses. Instead, it's likely to go multiple pages. I'm also enjoying the always weird, passively aggressive comments, whether it's proudly claiming you don't care (even though you're commenting about a subject you "don't care" about), bitching about the media, or whining about wokeness. It is an accomplishment and it's something none of us have the skill to do. Ain't nothing wrong with just saying "Good job!" without taking the thread in a bitter direction.
Amen...

Congrats to Clark. It's a great accomplishment and she's a heck of a player. I don't typically watch women's basketball but I've intentionally watched several of her games this year.

As a few others have said, I'm not sure why some are getting all worked up over this accomplishment. I haven't heard anyone say the women's game is equal to the men's or that the era Pistol Pete played in is the same as today.

I also don't buy into the "better competition" argument. The women's game has evolved and Clark plays against top-level women's competition. It's not like she scored all her points in a women's YMCA league. She's playing against the highest level of non-professional women's basketball players that there is.
It’s not that she isn’t playing against the top competition available but it’s that the majority of top female athletes do not choose basketball as their sport. Same reason why USA has historically struggled in soccer compared to the rest of the world. It’s not that we don’t have the athletes to compete it’s just that we have more popular sports taking our best male athletes. (Though as soccer increases in popularity with our youth this might change.)

That is to say, compare the top women’s teams to the next tier down and it’s a much more drastic drop off compared to men’s.

Edit: to clarify I’m not saying it’s not a tremendous accomplishment, I just don’t think it’s comparable to Pistol or should be labeled as breaking his record. Completely different things but that’s ok we can celebrate both. It just doesn’t need to be a look girl did better than guy thing.

PPetty sure a decent high school boy player who starts for a top team could easily do what she did in womens basketball. Im thinking a saul smith type could score 60 a game in womens basketball.

Ive actually ran pickup with female collegiate players, and they really arent that good.
Nice achievement as a few others have said. If people didn't care, this thread would only have a few responses. Instead, it's likely to go multiple pages. I'm also enjoying the always weird, passively aggressive comments, whether it's proudly claiming you don't care (even though you're commenting about a subject you "don't care" about), bitching about the media, or whining about wokeness. It is an accomplishment and it's something none of us have the skill to do. Ain't nothing wrong with just saying "Good job!" without taking the thread in a bitter direction.

Reactions: bIhawk
Oh, piss off

People are offended by the fact the fact it is 2 different sports you're comparing.

No one cares about Sadahuru Oh and his 800+ Homer's in Japan, either.

Reactions: Cat06 and bIhawk
People are offended by the fact the fact it is 2 different sports you're comparing.

No one cares about Sadahuru Oh and his 800+ Homer's in Japan, either.
Both athletes competed under the same umbrella organization. Both were NCAA athletes. It shouldn’t be a shock to you or anyone else that the media, who only cares about clicks, would report on this story. The Japanese comparison doesn’t make much sense.

It feels like it should be a pretty simple and understood concept that there should be some celebration of her without taking anything away from Pistol Pete. What’s the alternative? Should her scoring just simply be ignored? If not how do you suggest we recognize it? Maybe a one giant asterisk party for her?

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns

Pete played 3 seasons.

Clark played 4.

Clark had the 3 pt shot.

PP didn't.

It’s not that she isn’t playing against the top competition available but it’s that the majority of top female athletes do not choose basketball as their sport.
I’m curious what sport(s) you think the top female athletes are playing? My daughter was active in sports growing up and, from what I observed, basketball and soccer were the two most popular physical sports on the women’s side. Sure, you have cheerleading and dancing but the top athletes in those are not typically going to transition well to basketball. There is also softball and field hockey, both of which seemed to have a much smaller following.

On the men’s side basketball competes with football, which doesn’t apply on the women’s side. Also, soccer continues to grow in the US.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT