ADVERTISEMENT

CA governor signs bill to allow athletes to profit from endorsements

Look for California teams to start getting all the 5 stars. It will take Kentucky and Ohio years to get a bill like this passed. What if UK and UCLA are recruiting the same player. UCLA says hey kid come play for us and you can make this amount dollars. Kid turns to Cal and he says "I got nothing kid".

Your other one was better. This was more of a half-hearted effort. You can do better, and you will do better.

I'm just stating the obvious which you have had no rebuttal yet. There are only about 20 to 25 schools where their athletic departments operate in the black. Paying athletes will cause all student's tuition to increase. Athletic departments will have to hire tax accountants and wealth advisors on their staffs since athletes will have to pay taxes.

Reactions: westerncat
Look for California teams to start getting all the 5 stars. It will take Kentucky and Ohio years to get a bill like this passed. What if UK and UCLA are recruiting the same player. UCLA says hey kid come play for us and you can make this amount dollars. Kid turns to Cal and he says "I got nothing kid".

They won't go there since all California schools will not be able to participate in the NCAA.

Reactions: chroix
Everyone is making good points. I don't believe this is the end of college sports, but it will create major changes to the system as we know it. If there is an appeal of the law to the US Supreme Court, I doubt the Court even rules on it. and if the US Supreme Court does review it, I don't think they change or reverse it.

I believe a few states will follow immediately if it appears that the Californian law will stay as is on the books.

The bigger schools will undoubtedly have an advantage, as will schools in more populous areas. However, some cities that have professional teams, may not have as much advantage.

If Kentucky passes a similar law, then UK will have a major advantage since we have no professional teams nearby, and the ones that are (Reds, Indy, Nashville) are not marketing into Kentucky that often.

But overall, Kids that normally got paid under the table, because of their talent, will get paid over the table. Will it be something that is public knowledge, probably not, but it will be apparent which schools/boosters/etc have an advantage, in just a couple of years after the laws go into affect.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Just maybe, teams like Villanova and UVA will win even bigger because they won’t be getting kids who will come into college already stars instead of hungry guys who are looking to make a name for themselves. Oh wait, that’s already happening.

Logical reply by NCAA. They are logical when defending themselves but illogical when trying progress and move forward. I think the real cost of the whole topic is the non revenue sports and how they are subsidized.

Or I mean... it can some down to simply who’s willing to offer the most $$$

“Smaller” schools will barely be getting 3 stars.

Players will go to the highest bidder. Schools will recruit by claiming that if they go to their school, they can arrange that a car dealer will pay them X amount of dollars or they can market them better than the other schools. Players will go to schools that they feel can make them the most money. College sports will be just one big advertising campaign. It will be the wild west in that money will be thrown around to buy recruits. Marketable college players will be focused more on making commercials, signing shoe deals, and making paid appearances than trying to play as a team. Players will refuse to wear uniforms because the player will be represented by a different shoe company. Recruits in high school will have so much baggage due to the endorsement deals.

I can't tell if you're doing a really great satire or not. This is already going on.

If you hooked me, well done.

Reactions: JDHoss and gossie21
Gotta be hard to keep yelling amateurism when coaches, university presidents and NCAA executives making millions.

The NCAA model has had years to change and is now at the mercy of the states. Which state is next?
Exactly right.

It's been headed this way for over 40 years. From the time schools first started giving scholarships/preferential treatment to athletes (which dates back to prior to the 20th century), up until the mid to late 70's, you could always make a very strong argument that athletes were getting a fair deal. A free college education is valuable, and the salaries for professional athletes generally weren't astronomically higher than what regular college graduates could expect to make, especially given the limit on the number of years any player in any sport would actually be able to play professionally.

That's changed drastically in the last 40 years. Sports on the college and pro levels are multi-billion dollar industries. College coaches are paid like CEO's, and there are 10's of thousands of people who earn upper-middle class and up incomes directly related to college athletics. Professional contracts, even ones under rookie restrictions, are often for an amount of money that a college graduate with a very good "normal" job would expect to make for an entire career.

There is no logical way to continue to argue that players are getting a fair deal. At least not economically. A school like Texas has yearly athletic department revenue that is over 1/2 of what a lower income NFL team generates, and NFL teams have a $188 million dollar salary cap, just for the players.

The NCAA and the major college conferences turned pro decades ago.

Or I mean... it can some down to simply who’s willing to offer the most $$$

“Smaller” schools will barely be getting 3 stars.

go luck up recruiting budgets and cross check it against class rankings. "smaller" schools not getting elite players is and has always been that way.

I'm just stating the obvious which you have had no rebuttal yet. There are only about 20 to 25 schools where their athletic departments operate in the black. Paying athletes will cause all student's tuition to increase. Athletic departments will have to hire tax accountants and wealth advisors on their staffs since athletes will have to pay taxes.

You realize the schools aren’t going to be paying the players right?

Reactions: dakid_0812

I don't think you realize what you're arguing against. The schools aren't paying anyone. This lets athletes be paid for using their likeness (endorsements, etc.)

Reactions: Duke Blu
Number 1. This is the dumbest thing ive ever heard of. California made a law making it legal for something that is not or has never been illegal to start with...
Number 2. The NCAA seems like its going to fold anyway.
Number 3. There will be no more amateur sports in the United States. This is the end of that.

Professional sports is unwatchable for me, so i will probably be out of luck.

So when so and so big time quarterback or running back or pick your big name position player on a team makes a million dollars off his likeness will California make him share it with the O-line, D-line, tutors, etcetera that helped him get to be that start player?

Reactions: catben
I was actually thinking about posting a poll here/Devils Den/Inside Carolina/Arizona if posters agreed with allowing Athletes to profit from their likeness...This is a game changer indeed..FWIW: Similar legislation has been introduced in South Carolina and New York and Kentucky Gov was on record in 2018 as being in favor.

Agree that all BB blue bloods would benefit much more than non blue bloods. Based on posts, seems like Rupp is split on the topic.

With California being such a liberal state, it does surprise me that their Ultra-Liberal Governor passed a bill that is purely capitalistic.:D
If you think this is solely about economics you are mistaken. Although it is fascinating to watch conservatives argue against a free market system. College athletes are predominantly from one socioeconomic demographic.

Reactions: dakid_0812
So when so and so big time quarterback or running back or pick your big name position player on a team makes a million dollars off his likeness will California make him share it with the O-line, D-line, tutors, etcetera that helped him get to be that start player?

no

If you think this is solely about economics you are mistaken. Although it is fascinating to watch conservatives argue against a free market system. College athletes are predominantly from one socioeconomic demographic.

You do understand that there is nothing free-market about playing college athletics? By accepting a scholarship you agree to be an amateur and play under those rules.

The only free market part is that you do not have to choose to accept the scholarship and participate in their system.

Reactions: sjjones
You do understand that there is nothing free-market about playing college athletics? By accepting a scholarship you agree to be an amateur and play under those rules.

The only free market part is that you do not have to choose to accept the scholarship and participate in their system.
Yes. I understand that (and your second point is not actually a free market choice..... even the NCAA agrees their system is not free market, it is a cartel system). And many of my fellow conservatives have no problem with this system.

I think college athletics should be a free market, just like every other industry in the USofA. Colleges and the NCAA should not be allowed to limit the earning capacity of its participants. If they want to say colleges can't pay, fine. But they shouldn't be able to stop shoe companies, energy drink companies, or anyone else that wants to pay for an endorsement. If Adidas wants to pay Brian Bowen $100k to go to UofL, then they should be able to pay Brian Bowen $100k to go to UofL. I have absolutely no problem with this.

Need to look into this a little more. Schools will be paying nothing to the students. It's all from endorsements. As for your other point about kids not going to a school because they won't have a chance to win the NCAA, if the money is good enough, that's the last of a high profile recruits worries.

So the way I understand this it's for all athletes to profit from endorsements no matter what sport they play. Basketball, football, track, tennis or even rifle team. I think this will cause a lot of jealous between players if one is getting more than their teammates. I think it will open up a can of worms so to speak.

We don't have to wait for Kentucky to pass a similar law. UK could start allowing this tomorrow. The California law simply disallows its own schools from blocking it. i.e. Stanford can't block its players from making money in order to abide by NCAA rules. So if Stanford has its hand forced to break the rules, UK could break the rules too, just of their own accord. And if everybody's breaking the rules, they aren't the rules anymore.

If this sticks, probably does, you better believe Kentucky, North Carolina, Texas, South Carolina, Alabama will quickly act. They have too, and all UK and Loserville fans will push until it happens.

I can see it now.

Player - "Sorry I missed practice coach. I was shooting my new Foot Locker commercial and it ran long."

Reactions: Samurai Cat

Heh, fair but it’s even funnier to see leftists argue for what they believe to be a “free market system”

Reactions: catben and gossie21
So the way I understand this it's for all athletes to profit from endorsements no matter what sport they play. Basketball, football, track, tennis or even rifle team. I think this will cause a lot of jealous between players if one is getting more than their teammates. I think it will open up a can of worms so to speak.

LOL. people are just making stuff up now to feel good about antiquated never was true system.

I love this development.

The Pac-10 is already greedily scrambling to protect their "assets".

Yes. I understand that (and your second point is not actually a free market choice..... even the NCAA agrees their system is not free market, it is a cartel system). And many of my fellow conservatives have no problem with this system.

I think college athletics should be a free market, just like every other industry in the USofA. Colleges and the NCAA should not be allowed to limit the earning capacity of its participants. If they want to say colleges can't pay, fine. But they shouldn't be able to stop shoe companies, energy drink companies, or anyone else that wants to pay for an endorsement. If Adidas wants to pay Brian Bowen $100k to go to UofL, then they should be able to pay Brian Bowen $100k to go to UofL. I have absolutely no problem with this.
So are you also saying a private organization should not be allowed to determine the rules in which you can participate in their events?

If this sticks, probably does, you better believe Kentucky, North Carolina, Texas, South Carolina, Alabama will quickly act. They have too, and all UK and Loserville fans will push until it happens.

I don't know what would hold them back unless they're going to pretend that they're above it by continuing the fairy tale tea party of "amateurism".

I love it. I wish we could pay players outright to attend college through private donation funds, but this will have to suffice for now.

P.S., for those of you who continue to cling to the fictitious notion of "integrity of the game", you must have missed the news - that bus left the station years ago. Time to pay up, college sports. The players have made you billions and now it's their day to collect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT