ADVERTISEMENT

Buyout is imminent

BKO...curious as I know you've been vocal against Cal for awhile, seeking your thoughts here....

Hypothetically, if we were to hire Scott Drew and return no one to team OR keep Cal and re-evaluate after next year but retain say, Reed/Z/Thiero at minimum, what would you do?

I'm torn. Was late to fire Cal party, but fully on board now. That said, I have always had less faith in Mitch than Cal. I don't think Drew is the answer (I may be wrong- JMHO). Reed is a once in a lifetime kid...and I grew up idolizing his dad. He brought me a ton of joy this year...a second year would be incredible, but Cal is gonna Cal unfortunately, so I'm torn.
Believe me I feel your pain
While I’m not sure Scott Drew is the answer, Calipari has been given enough chances and re evaluating will change nothing at all. I would let him go and take our chances

This is one of those times we have to take a leap of faith. Our program is in the gutter. Nothing less than a full house cleanse is needed
I hate like hell that will mean likely losing Reed and others, but I’m thinking long term

We are Kentucky basketball

While I’m not sure Scott Drew is the answer, Calipari has been given enough chances and re evaluating will change nothing at all. I would let him go and take our chances

This is one of those times we have to take a leap of faith. Our program is in the gutter. Nothing less than a full house cleanse is needed
I hate like hell that will mean likely losing Reed and others, but I’m thinking long term

Totally get it. The one concern I have is that if we replace Cal it is with a good fit. Trust me I know Calipari has failed miserably the past 5 years but with the buyout that would be required it will absolutely force a GREAT hire because we wouldn't be able to buyout another coach should they not work out.

Trying times.

100% agree.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Totally get it. The one concern I have is that if we replace Cal it is with a good fit. Trust me I know Calipari has failed miserably the past 5 years but with the buyout that would be required it will absolutely force a GREAT hire because we wouldn't be able to buyout another coach should they not work out.

Trying times.

Buying out Cal for 33M to get Drew would be one of the dumbest things ever done in coaching hire/fire history. Talk about being a laughing stock.

Trying times.
It truly is trying for UK and the fans
We have no idea what will happen, despite what all the “insiders” are saying

Thank you, btw, for asking my opinion about it.

Alot of people have connections. I have a few. I've heard a few things from them. But until I see it come to fruition, I don't believe it. However, I do believe they are working on a buyout and have decided his time at UK is up. Fingers crossed it happens.

Look I expect him to be back - they will dump Chin & Bruiser - say they are getting defensive help the rough coaching and roster and going to try and get older tougher players in portal
Probably correct, but gonna be hard for me to see Cal actually giving a shit if he’s forced to get rid of Chin and Bruiser (although they need to go) and still actually giving a shit after. He’s the type that would say screw it, you make me do something I don’t want to do, see what happens now.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
lots of people seem to think that Mitch isn't excited about any candidates he can bring in and a "humbled" Cal returns with some staff changes and a focus on older players.

While I get the logic of it, its coaching poison for a season. Every loss becomes a reference point to failure.

If Cal was truly humbled, he'd openly agree to a pay cut with incentives for performance, he'd address the fanbase with an admission that he knows he has to change - both from a coaching , fan appreciation and dedication to the UK program standpoint. Add to that, he has to take accountability for the teams failures.

No more of this don't be mad at them be mad at me, and then after a season defining loss, he throws his players under the bus and nothing changes on his end.

Even then, I think Cal is so horribly arrogant, every win would be him recreating how he was after the Auburn win this year while forgetting he hides from fans when he loses.

• Angry
Reactions: RunninRichie
lots of people seem to think that Mitch isn't excited about any candidates he can bring in and a "humbled" Cal returns with some staff changes and a focus on older players.

While I get the logic of it, its coaching poison for a season. Every loss becomes a reference point to failure.

If Cal was truly humbled, he'd openly agree to a pay cut with incentives for performance, he'd address the fanbase with an admission that he knows he has to change - both from a coaching , fan appreciation and dedication to the UK program standpoint. Add to that, he has to take accountability for the teams failures.

No more of this don't be mad at them be mad at me, and then after a season defining loss, he throws his players under the bus and nothing changes on his end.

Even then, I think Cal is so horribly arrogant, every win would be him recreating how he was after the Auburn win this year while forgetting he hides from fans when he loses.
Good ****ing god. Didn't we just do that in 2022? And lost 12 games?

My source, “Imjustmakingupish” says that there will be no buy out. Cal will be the coach next year but it will be his last. I’m going with my source since he seems to be the most reliable at this point.

This marriage is over, whether it’s now or a year from now. Gotta move on with fresh ideas and hope for BBN. I’d even be ok with giving Welch an interim shot with his ideas. I know that’s not gonna happen, but something has to happen or it’s gonna be Indiana gone. Try and get a Wright or somebody in here, or lie fallow with Welch and company until a marquis choice is available or willing to accept.

Too much for a buyout. Donors would have to do it. Plus, you have to think, we will need to buyout our next coach's contract to come here, plus give them a salary too. Next year will be another first round flameout on the backs of future NBA stars.

Coach Cal and the University in talks currently on a buyout agreement. I believe Cal will still be involved in the program at a lessor role, not sure on a time-frame to finalize the deal but 90% sure it is happening and happening in the very near future.
Still believing this?

Still believing this?
I definitely believe the original plan was to buyout Cal. Problem being Cal holds the cards due to his contract. Barney can f up a wet dream, obviously he couldn't just give Cal a position within the organization in which he could assume the role of and collect a paycheck still. The feelers put out to the top candidates to replace Cal did not get the responses hoped for, shit happens. They should have been able to make the buyout happen, I think it didnt due to fear which is asinine. Sucks, as I truly believe it's time for Cal to move on and for UK to move on from Cal. That being said fans will be happy to see who all returns for next season.

Last edited:
I definitely believe the original plan was to buyout Cal. Problem being Cal holds the cards due to his contract. Barney can f up a wet dream, obviously he couldn't give Cal a position within the organization in which he could assume the role of and collect a paycheck still. The feelers put out to the top candidates to replace Cal did not get the responses hoped for, shit happens. Sucks, as I truly believe it's time for Cal to move on and for UK to move on from Cal. That being said fans will be happy to see who all returns for next season.
All you people scooping and speculating all just look plain silly now.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I definitely believe the original plan was to buyout Cal. Problem being Cal holds the cards due to his contract. Barney can f up a wet dream, obviously he couldn't give Cal a position within the organization in which he could assume the role of and collect a paycheck still. The feelers put out to the top candidates to replace Cal did not get the responses hoped for, shit happens. Sucks, as I truly believe it's time for Cal to move on and for UK to move on from Cal. That being said fans will be happy to see who all returns for next season.
You was exposed as the fraud you are

F&@k this I’m done with UK until that b&$tard is gone! Thanks Mitch you mother f$&ker you are one big piece of $hit too hope you both are unemployed real soon for screwing up the best basketball tradition in America!

Coach Cal and the University in talks currently on a buyout agreement. I believe Cal will still be involved in the program at a lessor role, not sure on a time-frame to finalize the deal but 90% sure it is happening and happening in the very near future.
good call

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
Question -- would you rather wait 3-4 years for Cal to retire and THEN hire Drew?

I would rather never hire Drew.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all aboard the get rid of Cal train but if we fired him today, paid his insane buyout, hired Drew and paid his buyout… that would be even more idiotic than keeping his woke ass as coach.

Reactions: ukfan041
I don’t know Z71 nor do I know his sources. I will say I heard the initial thought was to find the money for the buyout. As I posted earlier, the crafts said piss off we aren’t paying. I think that’s when the plans really started to unravel.

As for RunninRitchie, he’s the one I remember laughing about my Craft family info. Clearly he’s not connected to anyone in Lexington and only lives to crap on others. Oh well, you just can’t fix stupid.

He is literally saying cal shouldn’t be coach, but then giving a caveat that if reed, adou, Wagner, and z return then everything will be fine and cal should return. Hell no, that roster would be extremely flawed. Stop giving this coach passes and extra chances, he doesn’t deserve them
That’s called talking out both sides of your mouth.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT