ADVERTISEMENT

Buyout is imminent

Coach Cal and the University in talks currently on a buyout agreement. I believe Cal will still be involved in the program at a lessor role, not sure on a time-frame to finalize the deal but 90% sure it is happening and happening in the very near future.
How do you know this? Are you a lawyer.

The contract break down on KSR is interesting.

There's the retirement option. Essentially, Cal steps down and he's a figure head and still gets paid.

Perhaps Mitch and brass told him if he plays ball, they'll bump up his retirement package.

That may be the play. It seems there was already money budgeted to pay him to not coach once he did retire on his own.
My idea is you offer him less money but it’s guaranteed, as in he gets it even if he takes another job.

Totally agree. But Cal has failed to recruit quality players at all 5 positions for several years now.

We are ALWAYS missing a critical position player, or two on some teams.

When you don't build a complete roster, your team is a fraud that any good coach can expose your weakness. And Cal never worries about a complete roster, just getting whatever top players he can recruit, regardless of position.
Exactly! He recruits with no plan. He never really recruits for positions 1-5. He'll have 3-4 five star players and a four star recruit coming in, but 3 of them are point guards and the other 2 are 6'6"-6'7" athletes who are too small to play on the interior, but can't shoot well enough to play outside.But hey, it's a top 5 class so let's put the focus on that.
Also, the lineups are based on who he likes and wants PT for and not what's going to put you in the best position to win. So we'll have 2 driving guards (who can't shoot) , 1 pure shooter, 1 big, and then someone he wants to be a stretch 4 but isn't.
This leads to an offense of the shooter being heavily guarded, the 4 being out of his element, and when the guards can't find a bucket to go get, driving at the basket and throwing up a random shot hoping to get a foul call. The irony in all this, they don't practice FTs so a foul is pointless.

I can't help but wonder what Jeff Sheppard thinks.

Guy has to be conflicted
Every member of the Sheppard family has had nothing but great things to say about Cal all year long. You can say they wouldn't be public with criticism, but they could always just say nothing. And other parents have been critical in the past, Jon Hood's dad loves to roast Cal. So I kind of believe what they say.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Cal is most likely gonna be our coach again next year. Dude sucks for 5 years but gets to keep his job most likely because our AD is a damn idiot

Reactions: Fox2monk
He is back or it’s now looking he is back now. So much Stockholm syndrome going on with people in this fanbase, idiots are falling for his damn used car salesman pitch

Exactly! He recruits with no plan. He never really recruits for positions 1-5. He'll have 3-4 five star players and a four star recruit coming in, but 3 of them are point guards and the other 2 are 6'6"-6'7" athletes who are too small to play on the interior, but can't shoot well enough to play outside.But hey, it's a top 5 class so let's put the focus on that.
Also, the lineups are based on who he likes and wants PT for and not what's going to put you in the best position to win. So we'll have 2 driving guards (who can't shoot) , 1 pure shooter, 1 big, and then someone he wants to be a stretch 4 but isn't.
This leads to an offense of the shooter being heavily guarded, the 4 being out of his element, and when the guards can't find a bucket to go get, driving at the basket and throwing up a random shot hoping to get a foul call. The irony in all this, they don't practice FTs so a foul is pointless.
This times 1000

Reactions: HeismaNole
This stuff kills me. It's like a woman saying "You'll never find someone as good as me."

Overvaluing themselves and gaslighting. I promise you that UK can do better. The bar isn't that high considering post 2019.

This guy's method DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE. He hasn't even been to an SEC final since 2018. He loads up on recruits and can't do a damn thing with them. There's a coach out there who can use the portal, develop guys, and bring in a couple of freshmen to compliment a team.

So true. It's like this guy goes off rankings and doesn't care about actually creating a team of guys who play a role.

He's only done this crap at Kentucky too. The 08 Memphis team didn't look like this.

Reactions: Ugoff and cathouse
Every member of the Sheppard family has had nothing but great things to say about Cal all year long. You can say they wouldn't be public with criticism, but they could always just say nothing. And other parents have been critical in the past, Jon Hood's dad loves to roast Cal. So I kind of believe what they say.
the MVP of the NCAA tournament just saw his son go out on the first round after winning freshmen of the year in an embarrassing loss due to coaching incompetence.

I don't doubt they like Calipari, he's a very likeable guy to the players, but they still have to realize he squandered an opportunity with their son. You can love Calipari but not have faith in him

Last edited:
Successful as he is? lol what a joke. Cal has completely ranked this program the last 5-7 years. He needs to go. Period. Get out now.
Yeah I laughed at that too. In the past 8 NCAA tournaments. We have missed 1, lost first weekend 4 times, one sweet sixteen and 2 elite eights. 5-8 tournaments just really really bad and we don’t celebrate sweet 16’s here either. So 2 successful seasons here last 8 years (disregarding covid season all together)

Reactions: EliteBlue
OP has been very pro Cal - just look at his old posts. I think he's toying with people to get them excited.

I mean “imminent” means it’s 100%, the only thing undetermined is the timing….yet he’s saying imminent and 1O% chance it doesn’t happen in the same breath. What a farce.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think Cal coaches anywhere else. I think he ends his career here, whether it be this year or a few years down the road. I'm truly hoping they reach an agreement on the buyout and we can close this chapter and move on to the next.
Did you use to post on wildcats thunder years ago?

I don't want CCC here anymore, I've felt this way for quite some time

One thing I don’t understand is how Cal has anything to negotiate here. He’s got the absurd contract that Barney gave him in 2019 that puts the ball strongly in his court, he doesn’t have to compromise at all here. From triple C’s standpoint he can just say to Mitch “Fire me and pay me the $33M or I’m going to keep coaching as I want to.” It’s as simple as that, there’s nothing else Cal has to say that can improve his situation, he’s already in a great position and can’t get any better from his standpoint.

I hear all of the talk about buyout negotiations, but I am confused why CCC would even consider that at all? I guess one could make the argument that it helps him leave on better terms with the fanbase, but that is the only real incentive here for CCC. I haven’t seen him really care much about how the fanbase feels in the past, so why would he be willing to leave millions of dollars on the table to help his image now with BBN?

Maybe I’m not seeing something and I’m sure there’s plenty I do not know, but why would CCC even consider any type of negotiation here?

Reactions: K86 and ukfan041
I don't want CCC here anymore, I've felt this way for quite some time

One thing I don’t understand is how Cal has anything to negotiate here. He’s got the absurd contract that Barney gave him in 2019 that puts the ball strongly in his court, he doesn’t have to compromise at all here. From triple C’s standpoint he can just say to Mitch “Fire me and pay me the $33M or I’m going to keep coaching as I want to.” It’s as simple as that, there’s nothing else Cal has to say that can improve his situation, he’s already in a great position and can’t get any better from his standpoint.

I hear all of the talk about buyout negotiations, but I am confused why CCC would even consider that at all? I guess one could make the argument that it helps him leave on better terms with the fanbase, but that is the only real incentive here for CCC. I haven’t seen him really care much about how the fanbase feels in the past, so why would he be willing to leave millions of dollars on the table to help his image now with BBN?

Maybe I’m not seeing something and I’m sure there’s plenty I do not know, but why would CCC even consider any type of negotiation here?
That’s a good question that doesn’t get addressed enough by the voices of the program. Here are the reasons why Cal would be willing to negotiate:

-the buyout is set to be paid in monthly installments over 5 years. He could prefer a lump sum.
-the contract has a duty to mitigate. This means he can’t just kind of retire and still collect his installments. If you’re a sports fan maybe you’ll remember Ed Orgeron making a big display of not working…that’s because his contract eliminated any duty to mitigate.
-the contract has offset language. Meaning if he takes another job, his buyout payments would reduce by whatever he makes. Assuming he got a good job then the buyout would become very very little. One problem and risk for UK is if he wants to get into media and the offset is a much smaller amount(this could be a reason for UK to negotiate away risk)

For Cal some lump sum amount X with no offset language could make the most sense for him personally as he decides what to do next.

That's the player and family I'm most interested on. We know DJ and Edwards cant be mad, they got their minutes and they didn't even deserve them. But how does Reed and family feel. I'd think they'd be a little upset about the starting role, and I'd also imagine they want some reassurance about next year before they even think of coming back.

Cal is misaligned in so many ways.. but, the players seem to like playing for him, and it makes sense, he puts them before the fans. I know WE don't like what he did, but the players might not feel the same way.

Cal + a 2nd year Reed would make this pill much easier to swallow. And I think Reed will be good enough to get UK through a lot of tough games, probably get us back to a 4-2 seed.

OP has always been under the @$Z71$ handle. Been on here for years. Likely lots of validity to his post.

I agree with an above poster. This all has a very Stockholm-like feel to it. Several in the media all in on Cal must go in the 24-48 hrs after the loss. But in the last 24 hrs many seem fearful for him to leave.

It’s amazing to me that a school whose had 5 different coaches win a title is fearful to go looking for the 6th.

It’s like a break-up, you gotta focus on the crap you didn’t like until you get to the next relationship.
Go look at tj walkers feed he is the perfect example of this. He is trying to convince himself Sheppard returning solves a damn thing

Go look at tj walkers feed he is the perfect example of this. He is trying to convince himself Sheppard returning solves a damn thing

It will still be very shaky in a one-and-done tournament. But I think Reed is the type of player.. like a Wall or Fox or Anthony Davis.. that can mask Cal's problems, and win DESPITE the poor choice he made. I mean, for all the ****ups Cal had this year, we still got to a 3-seed.. and that was due in large part, to Reed.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
That's the player and family I'm most interested on. We know DJ and Edwards cant be mad, they got their minutes and they didn't even deserve them. But how does Reed and family feel. I'd think they'd be a little upset about the starting role, and I'd also imagine they want some reassurance about next year before they even think of coming back.

Cal is misaligned in so many ways.. but, the players seem to like playing for him, and it makes sense, he puts them before the fans. I know WE don't like what he did, but the players might not feel the same way.

Cal + a 2nd year Reed would make this pill much easier to swallow. And I think Reed will be good enough to get UK through a lot of tough games, probably get us back to a 4-2 seed.

Cal had every opportunity for none of this to be taking place. Instead he trotted that same lineup out there game after game. He doesn’t care about winning. His priorities are not in the best interest of the University. He has to go.

It will still be very shaky in a one-and-done tournament. But I think Reed is the type of player.. like a Wall or Fox or Anthony Davis.. that can mask Cal's problems, and win DESPITE the poor choice he made. I mean, for all the ****ups Cal had this year, we still got to a 3-seed.. and that was due in large part, to Reed.
What does it matter if we get a high seed when the coach puckers up and can't make a game plan?

I’m not giving cal that benefit of the doubt anymore, he has multiple chances, multiple star players come through here, and has shit the bed everytime. 2 postseason wins in both tournaments since 2019, 2 wins. How is him coming back even a thought process, because our AD sucks to. Reed is great but even he can’t get overall excitement back for Kentucky basketball, we all know what the end result is if this fraud is our coach next year, and yet let’s bring him back, so other programs can continue to pass Kentucky by while we suck in mediocrity land

Reactions: Fox2monk
That’s a good question that doesn’t get addressed enough by the voices of the program. Here are the reasons why Cal would be willing to negotiate:

-the buyout is set to be paid in monthly installments over 5 years. He could prefer a lump sum.
-the contract has a duty to mitigate. This means he can’t just kind of retire and still collect his installments. If you’re a sports fan maybe you’ll remember Ed Orgeron making a big display of not working…that’s because his contract eliminated any duty to mitigate.
-the contract has offset language. Meaning if he takes another job, his buyout payments would reduce by whatever he makes. Assuming he got a good job then the buyout would become very very little. One problem and risk for UK is if he wants to get into media and the offset is a much smaller amount(this could be a reason for UK to negotiate away risk)

For Cal some lump sum amount X with no offset language could make the most sense for him personally as he decides what to do next.
Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense and I can see his side of negotiating now.

Reactions: G-PIP
OP has always been under the @$Z71$ handle. Been on here for years. Likely lots of validity to his post.

I agree with an above poster. This all has a very Stockholm-like feel to it. Several in the media all in on Cal must go in the 24-48 hrs after the loss. But in the last 24 hrs many seem fearful for him to leave.

It’s amazing to me that a school whose had 5 different coaches win a title is fearful to go looking for the 6th.

It’s like a break-up, you gotta focus on the crap you didn’t like until you get to the next relationship.
The toxic relationships are often the hardest to leave from a psychological standpoint. Trauma bonding is legit

TJ Walker is a dumbass. **** anything that guy has to say.
He is literally saying cal shouldn’t be coach, but then giving a caveat that if reed, adou, Wagner, and z return then everything will be fine and cal should return. Hell no, that roster would be extremely flawed. Stop giving this coach passes and extra chances, he doesn’t deserve them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT