ADVERTISEMENT

Buyout is imminent

I hope Cals not involved in the program in any way. At least not in the near term. He will be a distraction. He needs to find another gig and try to reinvent himself. If in the future he came back and was around the program that would be fine.
Agree 100% Don't want him around the program. He has done enough damage.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Coach Cal and the University in talks currently on a buyout agreement. I believe Cal will still be involved in the program at a lessor role, not sure on a time-frame to finalize the deal but 90% sure it is happening and happening in the very near future.
Cal and Mitch meeting tomorrow. That means your guess here is stupid and wrong as usual

Reactions: JFCats22
It is imminent, that doesnt mean its a done deal yet. Part of any negotiation is an agreement that both parties are okay with. Cal holds the cards currently unfortunately, due to the lifetime contract.
Thanks for the info.

For the record, I've been here long enough to know you've had some scoops. So my questions aren't poking at you with skepticism, just clarity.

Cal and Mitch meeting tomorrow. That means your guess here is stupid and wrong as usual
Not sure your hard on with following my posts and posting drivel like this constantly in response. Believe what you want to but the initial talks occured today. Cal and Mitch supposedly meeting tomorrow means nothing, though I do expect a resolution to be had by tomorrow and announced early next week. You are the worst type of troll, a stalker troll.

Thanks for the info.

For the record, I've been here long enough to know you've had some scoops. So my questions aren't poking at you with skepticism, just clarity.
I understand, like I said before I don't post for the clout, the responses or to start drama. I just pass along what I personally know, not 3rd or 4th hand information or things I read on Twitter but things I know to be true.

I'm just hoping an agreement is made sooner than later so we can land our next coach. Would be sad if Cal remains the coach and I've been behind him longer than most. This year was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

I understand, like I said before I don't post for the clout, the responses or to start drama. I just pass along what I personally know, not 3rd or 4th hand information or things I read on Twitter but things I know to be true.

I'm just hoping an agreement is made sooner than later so we can land our next coach. Would be sad if Cal remains the coach and I've been behind him longer than most. This year was the straw that broke the camels back for me.
So by the end of these talks do you believe cal will still be the coach or not?

Yes the new coach needs to be hired before the portal opens on 4/1. I think it only runs 4/1 - 5/15, but most of the best players are gone in the first 10-14 days. He also needs to get here to work on convincing Reed, Z, and maybe DJ to return (at least Reed and Z). Then build around that core, along with Thiero.

So by the end of these talks do you believe cal will still be the coach or not?
I believe he will not be the coach next season. He wants to remain a part of the program so for them to reach an agreement he will have to be offered a new position moving forward. If we don't offer him that he will remain the coach. He doesn't want the buyout and to walk away so IMO the only way to get what we need which is a new coach is to give Cal an administrative role within the program.

I believe he will not be the coach next season. He wants to remain a part of the program so for them to reach an agreement he will have to be offered a new position moving forward. If we don't offer him that he will remain the coach. He doesn't want the buyout and to walk away so IMO the only way to get what we need which is a new coach is to give Cal an administrative role within the program.
give the relationship they currently have, I wonder if this is some powerplay against Mitch

Would that not be the ambassador role? I believe in the contract it was "Special Assistant to the AD"... And I believe Mitch and Calipari both said at the time, the actual duties were TBD.

So maybe the negotiations are $2 million a year in stead of $1m??? He could do NIL, raise money, PR, etc.

I think the fan like yourself who has been on CALs side longer than others now thinking a change is needed speaks volumes. To me the main reason you can’t bring him back is the pressure on next years teams would be unfair to all those players. They would pressure on every game and they couldn’t handle it. Combine that with bad results and you need a change

I haven't been a fan of Mitch for a long time. Guy is just not my cup of tea, had the displeasure of talking with him too many times.
maybe I am reading it wrong
Cal doesn't want the buyout so he wants a $9m a year (or negotiated but it ain't going to be 1/8 of what he is making now) administrative position in the University?

I can think of only 1 job that isn't a coaching position in the athletics that would even be a consideration for that salary

I think the fan like yourself who has been on CALs side longer than others now thinking a change is needed speaks volumes. To me the main reason you can’t bring him back is the pressure on next years teams would be unfair to all those players. They would pressure on every game and they couldn’t handle it. Combine that with bad results and you need a change
Sad thing is majority of the players absolutely love Cal. He is actually a good leader and helps these kids almost as a mentor would. Former players call him for advice quite often. Problem is he just can't coach anymore, he never was a great in game coach but he is even worse now than he was before. IMO he simply.got too complacent and refused to adapt as needed. Everyone on this years team loves Cal, but the results is what matters and he simply hasn't produced.

LiarNot sure your hard on with following my posts and posting drivel like this constantly in response. Believe what you want to but the initial talks occured today. Cal and Mitch supposedly meeting tomorrow means nothing, though I do expect a resolution to be had by tomorrow and announced early next week. You are the worst type of troll, a stalker troll.
Lying The Princess Bride GIF by Disney+

Sad thing is majority of the players absolutely love Cal. He is actually a good leader and helps these kids almost as a mentor would. Former players call him for advice quite often. Problem is he just can't coach anymore, he never was a great in game coach but he is even worse now than he was before. IMO he simply.got too complacent and refused to adapt as needed. Everyone on this years team loves Cal, but the results is what matters and he simply hasn't produced.
Cal is a good dude, and will do anything for his players for sure. But the lack of in game coaching is to much to overcome now. I wish cal the best if he leaves.

Reactions: WildcatNC
maybe I am reading it wrong
Cal doesn't want the buyout so he wants a $9m a year (or negotiated but it ain't going to be 1/8 of what he is making now) administrative position in the University?

I can think of only 1 job that isn't a coaching position in the athletics that would even be a consideration for that salary
The buyout means he is gone and no longer part of the Kentucky Men's Basketball Program. He wants to remain involved even if it's for less money. He wants to remain coach, but I don't believe that will happen.

In reality he can remain coach and that's scary, that's why I vote to create the position and appease him so we can move on. Unlike most I don't have Ill will toward Cal, he revived our program but his time is past and it's time to bring in someone new.

Sometimes when you’re a leader or in charge you can’t have “everyone like you.” Tough decisions have to be made and he sucks at it or is incompetent.
You blindly defended him right to the end. Makes me wonder if you did so due to whatever connection you had instead of using common sense.

Reactions: $Z71$
The buyout means he is gone and no longer part of the Kentucky Men's Basketball Program. He wants to remain involved even if it's for less money. He wants to remain coach, but I don't believe that will happen.

In reality he can remain coach and that's scary, that's why I vote to create the position and appease him so we can move on. Unlike most I don't have Ill will toward Cal, he revived our program but his time is past and it's time to bring in someone new.
yea but if they are negotiating his buy out and he refuses, he's cooked next year - with the fans, the administration, and players will know he is coaching on borrowed time.

It may look like he has house money with the contract but it will be misery with every loss next year - amplified 100X beyond this year - and he was getting boo'd in Rupp this year

of course if negotiations fail both sides will deny it ever happened in the first place

but too many people will know

Reactions: ukfan041
Sometimes when you’re a leader or in charge you can’t have “everyone like you.” Tough decisions have to be made and he sucks at it or is incompetent.
You blindly defended him right to the end. Makes me wonder if you did so due to whatever connection you had instead of using common sense.
You are absolutely right any true leader isn't liked by every one. Cal is definitely not liked by everyone, lots hate him. I didn't blindly defend him, you may see it that way but Cal wasn't as bad or as good as people made him out to be. The haters hate him way too much and the pumpers defend him way too much. My defending him was almost exclusive for when people were hating him because they were either misinformed or believed things that simply weren't true.

I've always known he was a terrible in game coach but I've also always realized there's a ton of things he is really good at as well.

You are absolutely right any true leader isn't liked by every one. Cal is definitely not liked by everyone, lots hate him. I didn't blindly defend him, you may see it that way but Cal wasn't as bad or as good as people made him out to be. The haters hate him way too much and the pumpers defend him way too much. My defending him was almost exclusive for when people were hating him because they were either misinformed or believed things that simply weren't true.

I've always known he was a terrible in game coach but I've also always realized there's a ton of things he is really good at as well.
I used to be a big Calipari fan. Idc to admit it. I used to take up for him a lot.

Not sure your hard on with following my posts and posting drivel like this constantly in response. Believe what you want to but the initial talks occured today. Cal and Mitch supposedly meeting tomorrow means nothing, though I do expect a resolution to be had by tomorrow and announced early next week. You are the worst type of troll, a stalker troll.

I have one of those on this site. I don't get it, but it's whatever lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT