ADVERTISEMENT

Buyout is imminent

To me even Reed returning can’t justify cal coming back. Cal has failed to many times with so much talent. Losing to St. Peter’s and Oakland in the first round is enough justification to move on

I feel ya, but I'm not in line with Drew...that is the issue. If it was Tommy Lloyd or Dan Hurley, totally different story. If I getting Scott Drew and none of this core, give me Reed and Cal for one more year and just re-evaluate. JMHO. I don't trust Cal but I trust Mitch less and I'm focused on the future.

This decision is critical. I know we haven't done shit in 5 years but Cal is so polarizing we are still a hot topic.

I feel ya, but I'm not in line with Drew...that is the issue. If it was Tommy Lloyd or Dan Hurley, totally different story. If I getting Scott Drew and none of this core, give me Reed and Cal for one more year and just re-evaluate. JMHO. I don't trust Cal but I trust Mitch less and I'm focused on the future.

This decision is critical. I know we haven't done shit in 5 years but Cal is so polarizing we are still a hot topic.
I’m fine with Scott drew especially if he brings edgecomb with him

Reactions: Fox2monk and 1war
I remember OP saying at one time he had access to practices? or was loosely connected to the program. It wasn't a flex, matter of fact it was annoying to me because he was taking up for Cal.

fwiw, and I know my opinion ain't worth jack, I believe him

it would be a pipe dream but in a way , if Cal headed up the NIL and supporting recruiting, he'd still be doing all that players first horseshit while doing the heavy lifting for a coach

I mean I can't imagine that being an option but I'd love Cal for taking that position

Personally I don't think Cal coaches anywhere else. I think he ends his career here, whether it be this year or a few years down the road. I'm truly hoping they reach an agreement on the buyout and we can close this chapter and move on to the next.
I thought you said an agreement has been made?

Reactions: catben
maybe he takes that ambassador role seriously that he once so arrogantly thought was an insult to him

Personally I don't think Cal coaches anywhere else. I think he ends his career here, whether it be this year or a few years down the road. I'm truly hoping they reach an agreement on the buyout and we can close this chapter and move on to the next.
Same, I could also see him wanting to prove a point and go to Michigan to prove he still has it. But it’s time for both sides to move on, Kentucky needs to get a new coach in place so they can begin attacking the portal

Same, I could also see him wanting to prove a point and go to Michigan to prove he still has it. But it’s time for both sides to move on, Kentucky needs to get a new coach in place so they can begin attacking the portal
He is 65, not old, but I'm certain he realizes the odds are against him kickstarting his career after tanking against Oakland and St. Peter with uber talented teams. If its not working at Ky its sure as hell ain't working in Michigan.

I"m sure he is a confident guy, but he wouldn't be human if he didn't do some serious self reflection in the past 48 hours about whether he still has it or not, and it has to be clear to him that he doesn't have the answers right now

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I've always thought he'd leave and go do something else besides coach. Most likely he'll take a break and then come back to TV like Jay Wright. But he'll need a good long break, otherwise he might be laughed out of the interview when he tries to get a TV gig.

I don't even think Drew comes here. He's stated before basically preaching the word of Jesus is more important to him than basketball, he just uses basketball as a medium to do that. That flies at a private baptist school like Baylor. It's not going to fly at UK.

I don't even think Drew comes here. He's stated before basically preaching the word of Jesus is more important to him than basketball, he just uses basketball as a medium to do that. That flies at a private baptist school like Baylor. It's not going to fly at UK.
win a national championship and you can kneel during the national anthem, don't see why praying wouldn't work either

Reactions: Fox2monk
He said 90%.
I didn't even say that. I said the talks between Cal and UK began today on a buyout and I don't know the time frame but I'm 90% sure they will come to an agreement in the very near future. Practically word for word what my initial post said. Never did a say an agreement is already made.

The initial talks were about 2 things, money and a role in the organization. Personally I believe a firm decision will be made within the next 24 hours and probably announced publicly early next week. Cal doesn't want the buyout and to walk away, he wants to remain part of Kentucky Basketball. I think he is being a glutton for punishment. but I believe we need a change and a new coach so if that's what it takes count me in.

If that’s true and Calipari walks out of there still the Kentucky coach I’m going to start a riot….. I can not handle another season with Cal. He will continue to bash the fans, acts like he’s always right, won’t play the right players, will use the “we’re young excuse” every time they lose. The fans are fed up with his shit and Mitch can kick rocks with Cal if he lets him stay
Start a riot. 🤣

win a national championship and you can kneel during the national anthem, don't see why praying wouldn't work either
Because he wouldn't want to leave a school whose religious values aligns with his. But either way, he can mandate his team pray with him at Baylor. He cannot do that at a public university.

I didn't even say that. I said the talks between Cal and UK began today on a buyout and I don't know the time frame but I'm 90% sure they will come to an agreement in the very near future. Practically word for word what my initial post said. Never did a say an agreement is already made.

The initial talks were about 2 things, money and a role in the organization. Personally I believe a firm decision will be made within the next 24 hours and probably announced publicly early next week. Cal doesn't want the buyout and to walk away, he wants to remain part of Kentucky Basketball. I think he is being a glutton for punishment. but I believe we need a change and a new coach so if that's what it takes count me in.
Well, you lead off the thread with "buyout is imminent". That pretty much means it's happening, at least according to you.

Reactions: Fox2monk and catben
maybe he takes that ambassador role seriously that he once so arrogantly thought was an insult to him
That was basically an insurance gig. In case a medical thing happened while BBN still loved him, but he couldn't coach. There was an interview recently where Cal himself described that scenario and that role.

he's not much of a Christian if he's mandating people pray with him
His coaching philosophy is called J.O.Y. Jesus, others, yourself, in that order. I just don't think a guy like that is leaving his private baptist university to go to a place where basketball results are infinitely more important than his religion will ever be.

That was basically an insurance gig. In case a medical thing happened while BBN still loved him, but he couldn't coach. There was an interview where Cal himself described that scenario and that role.
well, he probably needs some insurance now.

Seriously while there is a serious stain now, 3 years from now of Cal doing the shaking hands and kissing babies routine, he'd be beloved - either because his replacement its good and UK is winning again or his replacement sucks and everyone wishes he was back

His coaching philosophy is called J.O.Y. Jesus, others, yourself, in that order. I just don't think a guy like that is leaving his private baptist university to go to a place where basketball results are infinitely more important than his religion will ever be.
I"m not saying he is or isn't, I'm just saying him being religious would be fine at UK. Hell, this program would put up with a lot if he is was winning - and proselytizing on campus in the state of KY is pretty far down the list of egregious offenses as a coach

(it would be funny as hell though if he called a player a selfish motherf'er on camera during a game though)

fwiw, I don't want Scott Drew - he and many other coaches would be a bland as rice cakes in this program

Well, you lead off the thread with "buyout is imminent". That pretty much means it's happening, at least according to you.
It is imminent, that doesnt mean its a done deal yet. Part of any negotiation is an agreement that both parties are okay with. Cal holds the cards currently unfortunately, due to the lifetime contract.

Reactions: TheDude73
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT