ADVERTISEMENT

Burks

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
Not a lot of talk about him.

I thought he had a few bad shots early, but settled down and played a good game after that. He gave us 4 rebounds in limited minutes. He had 2 assists (both 3's) if I'm remembering correctly.

He'll probably lose all of his minutes once the bigs are playing--but I think he's shown he can contribute when called upon. Gonna be a good player in the future.

I thought he played fine, and I wasn't sure why he didn't play more in the 2nd half. I don't know how much it would've impacted the outcome, but Adou and Mitchell were EXHAUSTED down the stretch. Maybe a 2-minute sub for each of them could've helped out in the long run, but that's just pure speculation.

The guys we picked up late + Thiero gave us a chance to win this one. We need big bodies we can put on the floor. Cal has lucked out with the people on the team if 2 of the bigs make it to the floor. Burks ,Mitchell and Thiero gave us what they had and it was almost enough. If and when we get some version of a complete team we could be very good

Reactions: westerncat
I have been pleasantly surprised by his play but also feel he's not ready yet. Much closer than I thought though.

Reactions: ganner918
Neither can Edwards or Wagner
Edwards was viewed as a good 3 point shooter coming in.

College isn't high school. But if he could shoot 39% during EYBL, I think he can shoot it quite a bit better than what we've seen so far.

Burks hustles, rebounds, and plays decent defense. Also seems like he's a really good teammate. I don't think he will ever be a major contributor but a guy I'd love to have for 3-4 years.

Edwards was viewed as a good 3 point shooter coming in.

College isn't high school. But if he could shoot 39% during EYBL, I think he can shoot it quite a bit better than what we've seen so far.

This is a scouting report on him, some weaknesses:
* tends to dribble high
* doesn't avoid body contact totally, but prefers finesse
* does everything to his left
* 37% 3 point shooter
* shoots better in spot up, but misses aren't even close
* not a good free throw shooter

Reactions: sambowieshin

This is a scouting report on him, some weaknesses:
* tends to dribble high
* does everything to his left
* 37% 3 point shooter
* shoots better in spot up, but misses aren't even close
* not a good free throw shooter
Are we really considering 37% a weakness. Seems...good.

Are we really considering 37% a weakness. Seems...good.
It's high school, and I made the point that you expect him to shoot at an even higher clip than he did facing lesser competition. Do you think you're being realistic? Like others, I see EJ Montgomery.

Burks lead the team in +/- at +19. Being +19 in a game we ended up losing by 24 is nuts.

At first I looked at that and scoffed and said that is why +/- is a misleading stat. That was until I broke down the film.

Burks is a surprisingly high IQ player on both ends. He spaces the floor well, he cuts to open spaces and with correct timing, and he finds the open man very well. Defensively and rebounding wise he stays very engaged and covers a lot of ground well.

Is he super skilled? No. Is he very coordinated? No. But he is smart and makes winning basketball plays. Low IQ has been a problem for a ton of our past teams, and our coach hasn't exactly helped with that. We need more high IQ guys like Burks that know how to win.

He has shown enough that if he doesn’t transfer, I believe he can be a huge contributor as a JR if not next year once he adds another 20lbs+

He might not have avoided body contact the first 2 games, but he sure as hell did on Tuesday night. He played timid. Maybe it's just trying to fit in. Whatever it is if he wants to be the player everyone thinks he can be his ass better get in the gym and also develop a mean streak while he's at it.

He seems to be a smart player with a lot of potential; I've been pleasantly surprised by him.

I'll be honest, I had never even heard of this player until he was on the court Tuesday night. I'm so out if the loop on basketball....trying to play catchup on names and jersey numbers now that the season is here.

Reactions: awf
Not a lot of talk about him.

I thought he had a few bad shots early, but settled down and played a good game after that. He gave us 4 rebounds in limited minutes. He had 2 assists (both 3's) if I'm remembering correctly.

He'll probably lose all of his minutes once the bigs are playing--but I think he's shown he can contribute when called upon. Gonna be a good player in the future.
And it didn't look like he was afraid, unlike Edwards and Wagner

And it didn't look like he was afraid, unlike Edwards and Wagner
I don't think Wagner looked afraid. Dude had no problem getting shots up.

Edwards looked more lost than scared. Don't think he knew what to do.

I don't think Wagner looked afraid. Dude had no problem getting shots up.

Edwards looked more lost than scared. Don't think he knew what to do.
Wagner reminded me of the old John Wooden quote, “Play fast but don’t hurry “ . I believe he was “hurrying “ . I believe the moment was just too big for Edwards at this point in the season.

Reactions: Cats192
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT