ADVERTISEMENT

Brock Vandagriff in the Portal

Georgia has done a wonderful job the past few years identifying really good QBs who fit their system. Nobody thought Bennett would be much more than a game manager and he turned into a damn good college QB. Beck was a relative unknown and he's played very well this year. So, Vandagriff doesn't have much experience. As a poster above said, he's scrimmaged against Georgia's defense the past 3 years. I'm guessing he's had his share of experience even if not during a real game.

Reactions: hmt5000
That is the sell, the upside. He’s had 3 year learning under a fantastic coach. Seeing a legit defense everyday as well. You take a guy like that here. He doesn’t have game experience and that’s a downside but he can get PT here and we can see what he’s got.
Thanks brother

This guy is talented enough he could have started at a lot of programs as a freshman. It just so happens he was behind some really good QB's at Georgia. I am sure they would have loved to have him backing up Beck for another season then take over the starting role as a senior. But I think he'd rather come here and start as a junior. In a best case scenario, he has an incredible year and goes to the NFL draft. Worst case, he's our QB here for two full seasons. Neither of those were options at Georgia. This would be one helluva good deal for UK and Vandagriff if it all works out. And Georgia won't miss a beat without him. They will always have talent stockpiled at the QB position.

Reactions: abader88 and catben
Just because it's freaking Georgia doesn't sell me, and just because he had 5 stars & zero experience doesn't translate to success @ UK.
Again, I was asking for someone to sell why he's the option over other proven highly talented options on the portal. Him being on Georgia's roster tells me nothing, I can read the same roster.......hence my comment asking what the sell is lol
Will Levis was a really good get for us and he had minimal experience. Leary came in with all kinds of game experience and was meh.

Probably a stupid question but how good is he? Dont know much about him and I feel like I probably should. Does he fit what Coen would want? Can he add a run element like Levis?
Supposedly to be a very good runner for a pro style quarterback. A person I respect says his best comp would be Brady Cook from Missouri.

Reactions: The-Hack
Some things Georgia fans are saying.

-IDK, Kentucky seems to be all about those one and done transfers that have starting experience. But I think Kentucky would be a good landing spot for him. Solid program, good coach, and solid acadamics a little below that of UGA. I wish him the best of luck.

-Wouldn’t be a bad place to transfer. They go bowling almost every season now and their QB situation is a good opportunity for him.

-Kentucky has had physical O lines as well. Good fit for him. Hope he balls out.

-Man, that sucks. I really wanted to see what he could do in this offense. I love the way he runs with the ball.

-I will be pulling for the kid!

-Hate to see it, but I get it. I’m a big Vandagriff fan.

-My pre season pick to lead the Dawgs and a guy I still believe in. I want to see Brock go out and go off. Lead his next team and be successful. Rather see him in the ACC/Big 12 type good team but if the SEC I really hope they have a good OL. I can't wait to see his legs in action.

-I can see it now, wherever Brock transfers he's going to throw for 4,000+ yards, 500+ rushing yards and 40 total touchdown. Our fanbase will completely melt down and the Kirby doesn't start 5 star qb narrative will be back just like that lol.

-I think there's a better fit out there for Brock, he has a lot of ability, it just has to be unlocked.

I can’t help but feel Auburn will be a player here. A combination of their deep pockets and the Vandergriff’s once upon a time fandom, tells me they will be our major competitor for his services.

perhaps Vandagriff will look to steal the souls of our opponents. Frankly, Stoops and Coen could do a bit more of that themselves.
Mmmmm.

In November, Stoops went to Floyd Street, lookin’ for a soul to steal. . . .

From Georgia class A high school, level of competition could be suspect. Has been at UGA 3 years I think
GA single A is not like many states A. The private schools are mostly A in GA, have deep pockets and take their sports seriously. Private schools dominate the lower classes so much the they are tossing them out of the GHSA tourneys next year. His sister plays softball at the same high school and is probably the best player in the state across all classes.

Will Levis was a really good get for us and he had minimal experience. Leary came in with all kinds of game experience and was meh.
Joe burrow had very little experience before transferring too. He’s the gold standard. It’s a gamble but hopefully we can trust the staff to identify their guy

Auburn guy is saying we’re offering 2mil in NIL. Don’t know how true it is. One of those sisters cousins dog sitter said so kinda deal.
I hear they're offering to build his parents a Yellawood deck, and the Freezes have invited him to a Liberty U-style key party.

• Haha
Or Stone. Vandagriff can play 2 yrs, and should if he wants the best draft position.

I'm almost dizzy just thinking about a QB room at UK with such studs as Vandagriff and Boley and Stone.
Let's be realistic. With the nil today, I don't think that scenario will happen

Ahh my bad then Maximus.

👀

Meh, someone please sell me on this guy. Didn't seem to get a sniff at UGA maybe GrumpyDawg can shed some light. But after all the pre hype on Twitter about it being a homerun transfer, this doesn't move the needle much other than being a former 5 star. Then again I could be wrong, it's happened before lol

I can't shed much light on him one way or another because he hasn't played enough to earn a thumbs up or thumbs down. The only game he played much in was the UK game and he was the QB that threw the TD that upset alot of UK fans. I don't really know if he can run through progressions are receiver because a use of limited opportunities. He does grow a nice red beard if that counts for aything.

Reactions: Chuckinden
sounds like to me he was a good enough to play anywhere coming out of HS but he wanted to stay in his hometown (Bogart is in the “Athens Metro”). It was a dream come true even if he was behind multiple great QBs, it didn’t matter.
You will notice that his biggest pronouncement in his posting was that he achieved his goal of graduating from the University of Georgia which is great for him. Congratulations!

Now he has two years of being in graduate school taking courses on whatever he wants and have fun playing QB somewhere. If goes to UK I hope t works. If goes to another school I hope it works.

He gave up playing many places to get that degree.

Really funky throwing motion, but he was obviously a high level prospect for a reason and it sounds like a lot of UGA fans liked what they saw from him. And let's be honest, UGA fans probably know talent when they see it.

I hope it pans out.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Just because it's freaking Georgia doesn't sell me, and just because he had 5 stars & zero experience doesn't translate to success @ UK.
Again, I was asking for someone to sell why he's the option over other proven highly talented options on the portal. Him being on Georgia's roster tells me nothing, I can read the same roster.......hence my comment asking what the sell is lol
Joey Gatewood came from Auburn who was supposed to have Stars galore. He was supposed to be the next Cam Newton. We saw how that worked out. Hopefully Vandagriff is the real deal if the rumors are true or were stuck.

That's one thing he has going for him...let's hope he shows that 5 star talent on the field here.
It's all we can do is hope he pans out if he does land at UK. I will say I like the fact he comes from a program like UGA and that having been there for three years he should be able to provide some insight on how to exploit their defense. Also, having spent a lot of time practicing against it, he should be adept at reading their coverages, understanding their stunts and blitz packages, and being able to help the receivers and blockers know what to expect and possibly help them find ways to overcome the talent deficits by exploiting some areas of weakness only he may know about. He could become a coach on the field that week.

Reactions: screwduke1
I posted this about Brock few days ago because he has ties with Coen and his sister plays volleyball for eku heard it on ksr some caller compared him to big Ben

Don't be dumb. You know everyone talks about their team by saying we. You don't have to be employed by the school or be a big booster to be part of the we.
You “we” pay these players. Which big donor are you?

Just a rumor but I heard Levis in 2022 & Leary this yr earned about $250k. By far the highest on the team. Only a couple are over $50k.

You “we” pay these players. Which big donor are you?
I'm not paying them anything for NIL. They get enough from the school as it is (probably a couple hundred thousand at the bare minimum for what their scholarship offers them). The only support they will get from me is fan support like it's been for the previous 35 to 40 years I've been a fan. Like tickets purchased, concessions, merchandise, TV watching expenses, etc. if that's not enough then oh well.

Apathy has set in with me and many others and I'm losing my motivation to keep supporting sports as it is. Most families are struggling to make ends meet in this horrible economy and they want us to pony up to give these players more money than a lot of families make in years. Well it's not happening with me and apparently most fans. Stoops better get to begging the rich boosters if he wants to buy players. "We" average fans have bigger priorities than making 18-23 year old players wealthy.

I'm not paying them anything for NIL. They get enough from the school as it is (probably a couple hundred thousand at the bare minimum for what their scholarship offers them). The only support they will get from me is fan support like it's been for the previous 35 to 40 years I've been a fan. Like tickets purchased, concessions, merchandise, TV watching expenses, etc. if that's not enough then oh well.

Apathy has set in with me and many others and I'm losing my motivation to keep supporting sports as it is. Most families are struggling to make ends meet in this horrible economy and they want us to pony up to give these players more money than a lot of families make in years. Well it's not happening with me and apparently most fans. Stoops better get to begging the rich boosters if he wants to buy players. "We" average fans have bigger priorities than making 18-23 year old players wealthy.
I also do not donate to NIL. But I’m glad that someone is. I’m also glad that these kids can make life changing money. In this country I don’t think anyone should be denied the opportunity to make a living

I see your points. This economy does suck. Stoops comment didn’t go over well with the common fan but that wasn’t who he was talking to. He knows he isn’t going to get money from you and I. NIL is largely supplied by big fish.

Sorry about your apathy.

Reactions: KyCatFan

a scholly is worth a couple of hundy thousand minimum at UK?.... Shoot dude..... WRONG!

Reactions: hmt5000
a scholly is worth a couple of hundy thousand minimum at UK?.... Shoot dude..... WRONG!
That scholarship comes with more than just education. They get like 4 or 5 years worth of food, clothes, housing, training, coaching, medical, tutors, stipends, travel, and exposure (maybe other things). That's probably worth well over a couple hundred thousand.

GA single A is not like many states A. The private schools are mostly A in GA, have deep pockets and take their sports seriously. Private schools dominate the lower classes so much the they are tossing them out of the GHSA tourneys next year. His sister plays softball at the same high school and is probably the best player in the state across all classes.
I saw that his sister is going to Bama on a Softball scholly but may also run track because I think she won the state 200 and 400 or something. LOL.

Joey Gatewood came from Auburn who was supposed to have Stars galore. He was supposed to be the next Cam Newton. We saw how that worked out. Hopefully Vandagriff is the real deal if the rumors are true or were stuck.
Gatewood was athletic but qb was always a concern for him. Most colleges wanted him to switch to TE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT