ADVERTISEMENT

Braylon Mullins

At the end of the day, I am happy with getting Johnson. He’s a legacy. He’s a 5-star. I can live with it, even though I felt like Mullins was probably a better fit for Pope’s system.

At this point in time, before either player is finished with HS, it’s really hard to tell.

And players sometimes play better than we think they will. There was quite a bit of criticism thrown at Dillingham when he signed with us and he turned out fine. You just never know how it will work out.

Let’s just hope it works out for the best for UK and Johnson.

Now add that many other guys Kentucky is recruiting don't really like how Jasper plays. That also should factor in. I'm not asking people to agree with me, and I hope this staff gets a version of Johnson that makes the investment worthwhile. There are several angles to discuss when taking a commitment and Pope felt this was the way to go. How it ends up will play on the court and hope it's a home run.

Best thing about it is the player gets to prove everyone right/wrong depending on their take of his talent.
In a vacuum, I would rather have Mullins personally. But Johnson is a great player, with possibly a higher ceiling. It is a shame if we don’t get both, but we have no idea, if we even stood a chance with Mullins. To their credit, Indiana has been on him forever. It is likely the staff got wind that he was less interested in Kentucky than people thought and forced them to go all in on Johnson. Still would love to have him, but he is more of a luxury than a need now that we have Jasper.

Now add that many other guys Kentucky is recruiting don't really like how Jasper plays. That also should factor in. I'm not asking people to agree with me, and I hope this staff gets a version of Johnson that makes the investment worthwhile. There are several angles to discuss when taking a commitment and Pope felt this was the way to go. How it ends up will play on the court and hope it's a home run.

Best thing about it is the player gets to prove everyone right/wrong depending on their take of his talent.
Jasper has the “ Caleb love “ gene that scares me. It’s why I preferred Mullins to begin with. I’m happy Johnson is here, and he deserves a chance to prove everyone wrong. I would be interested to see how Lewis and Johnson would fit together.

Yes. It's not a coincidence they went full staff to visit Acaden Lewis the other day.

I'll add that I think everyone has slept on UConn's chances here from Day 1. They made him a top priority and everyone blew off the fact he took his OV immediately out there and how Hurley and company have recruited him. It's funny how many CBB media people act like UConn is some flash in pan program and never mention them as legit threats for top guys. Kentucky had a great chance if Johnson went elsewhere which was my personal preference but what I think doesn't matter. So just going to see how the rest of the class ends up. Loved them landing Moreno, would've let Jasper go elsewhere. Hope that Jasper ends up making UK look great for paying what they did to land him, as with any investment, if it pays off, worth the price.
Hope we land Mullins and Lewis. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Jasper has the “ Caleb love “ gene that scares me. It’s why I preferred Mullins to begin with. I’m happy Johnson is here, and he deserves a chance to prove everyone wrong. I would be interested to see how Lewis and Johnson would fit together.
Dilly had that gene and he was a badass. Caleb Love led UNC to the title game and played amazing for Zona last year and probably this year too.

Last edited:
Dilly had that gene and he was a badass. Caleb Love led UNC to the title game and played amazing for Zona last year and probably this year too,
Caleb was great for UNC the year they went to the title game, but his issue is he will shoot you out of games, and last year zona lost in part because he shoot them out a game. I think Johnson is more Caleb love than what dillingham was here. Jasper will be good here, I just though Mullins was a better fit.

Last edited:
Caleb was great for UNC the year they went to the title game, but his issue is he will shoot you out of games, and last year zona lost in part because he shoot them out a game. I think Johnson is more Caleb love than what dillingham was here
If Johnson is an AA candidate and leads us to a title game he will be loved.

Great players love playing with gteat players. As JJ went to UK I see this kid going ti IU. Why? FOR THE SAME REASON JJ WENT TO UK. NIL money plain and simple. All this talk of playing with other people is pure BS

Great players love playing with gteat players. As JJ went to UK I see this kid going ti IU. Why? FOR THE SAME REASON JJ WENT TO UK. NIL money plain and simple. All this talk of playing with other people is pure BS
I hope he goes to IU . I’d hate to see him at UConn , North Carolina, or Tennessee.

Reactions: G-PIP
I don't know which one Pope preferred but he was smart to take the first to commit. How many times did Cal wait around for his top choice only to miss out and by then all the other options had gone elsewher.

Couldn’t have said it better. This is exactly how I feel about the situation.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
So what would you have been writing all over this message board if Johnson had picked Bama or UNC?

Would you have been equally as "scared" that Pope wasn't securing in-state five stars?

There's nothing to complain about with Johnson. He's a pure scorer, but he's not going to be asked to carry the team. I don't get the concern. It seems contrived, maybe even a little manufactured on your end.

I don't know which one Pope preferred but he was smart to take the first to commit. How many times did Cal wait around for his top choice only to miss out and by then all the other options had gone elsewher.
Half of these guys pissing and moaning about possibly missing on Mullins because of Johnson, would be pissing and moaning if we missed on Johnson and landed Mullins instead.

Mullins isn't a future lottery pick. His potential production on next year's team could be replicated in the portal.

the state of Kentucky rarely produces kids rated this highly.
Reed was outstanding, but he wasn't rated in the top 10.
Coach had to land JJ, with his father being a former football player, this being his 1st year as UK coach.
I would truly like to see Mullins sign with UK as well, but I fear there would be jealousy over the NIL $.
I would guess IU has plenty to throw Mullins way, as they did that big transfer from Arizona

Half of these guys pissing and moaning about possibly missing on Mullins because of Johnson, would be pissing and moaning if we missed on Johnson and landed Mullins instead.

Mullins isn't a future lottery pick. His potential production on next year's team could be replicated in the portal.
I agree with you. Just going to make the point that I don't believe being a "future lottery pick" means a whole lot to increasing a team's chances of winning a title either if the future lottery pick is OAD, i.e., drafted mostly on future potential rather than how much he currently impacts winning.

So what would you have been writing all over this message board if Johnson had picked Bama or UNC?

Would you have been equally as "scared" that Pope wasn't securing in-state five stars?

There's nothing to complain about with Johnson. He's a pure scorer, but he's not going to be asked to carry the team. I don't get the concern. It seems contrived, maybe even a little manufactured on your end.
Saul you pick the weirdest times to get upset about something and when not to, it’s interesting to watch on here. And no I would not have. Johnson was going to be the same thing wherever he went. A microwave scorer with efficiency issues. I’m glad he is here, but to ignore what type of player he is at this point is silly. It’s not manufactured when multiple people share the same viewpoint. LOL manufactured on my end, that’s a good one man.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

False, but do you man(only kidding) before people get upset.

Last edited:
False, but do you man.
I don't think you would have been one of the folks SOS is talking about at all. You've got the kind of message board name that makes you stick in the mind maybe more than others, and from my recollection I think you're a good and reasonable poster (e.g., not over hyperbolic and agenda driven posting). But I do think SOS has a point that many would have just absolutely trashed Pope if he didn't get a highly ranked in-state kid, even though he's just getting started at UK.

I don't think you would have been one of the folks SOS is talking about at all. You've got the kind of message board name that makes you stick in the mind maybe more than others, and from my recollection I think you're a good and reasonable poster (e.g., not over hyperbolic and agenda driven posting). But I do think SOS has a point that many would have just absolutely trashed Pope if he didn't get a highly ranked in-state kid, even though he's just getting started at UK.
I agree, I’m joking with Saul a little because I know he can take it. I’m happy Johnson is here, and will be cheering for him every damn game. But if we’re being honest he has some shot chucker, Caleb love vibes on his game. I preferred Mullins because I think he is a bette fit for what pope wants to do. Saul is correct in that people are going to complain to complain. That’s not what agenda was. Either way Johnson will be great here, and I’m glad he is a cat.

I agree, I’m joking with Saul a little because I know he can take it. I’m happy Johnson is here, and will be cheering for him every damn game. But if we’re being honest he has some shot chucker, Caleb love vibes on his game. I preferred Mullins because I think he is a bette fit for what pope wants to do. Saul is correct in that people are going to complain to complain. That’s not what agenda was. Either way Johnson will be great here, and I’m glad he is a cat.
I had the same feelings about Johnson & Mullins as you. But like you, I'm very glad Pope landed Johnson. I also think being an in-state guy gives UK just a little better chance of getting a year two from Johnson (vis a' vis an out of state kid).

I had the same feelings about Johnson & Mullins as you. But like you, I'm very glad Pope landed Johnson. I also think being an in-state guy gives UK just a little better chance of getting a year two from Johnson (vis a' vis an out of state kid).
No offense, but did you see his commitment press conference? He is in for the money period! I am glad we got him, but that press conference cringed me out about as much as Lebron’s “South Beach” announcement. Just can’t see him coming back for year 2 unless, god forbid, he has an injury during the season and needs to rehab and prove rehab was successful.

Reactions: G-PIP
No offense, but did you see his commitment press conference? He is in for the money period! I am glad we got him, but that press conference cringed me out about as much as Lebron’s “South Beach” announcement. Just can’t see him coming back for year 2 unless, god forbid, he has an injury during the season and needs to rehab and prove rehab was successful.
Ha, that bad, huh? But no, I didn't see the press conference. I saw on local news, etc. the t-shirt advertising stuff. Did he say anything suggesting he was pretty much OAD regardless of how things go (like some of the recruits in the past have flat out said I'm here for a few months).? If he can get drafted in the 1st round, then who can blame him. But situations like with Chris Livingston (and others) or also guys who want to transfer b/c they're upset the coach can't "make" them a projected 1st round draft pick after their freshman year are ones to avoid I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT