ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Calipari redshirting, will be at UK 2 more years after this one

This is a great move by coach. Laugh at me all you want, but in 2021 Brad will be a MAJOR contributor to the team. After practicing against the best players in the country for 4 years, he will be an outstanding player as a 5th year senior. He was talented enough coming out of high school to be a 3* type of player and he might be the hardest working player on the team. I would take a 5th year senior 3* with a great work ethic over just about any 5* freshman out there. Especially at a position like PG. Mark my words, this move is all about getting Brad on the floor to play significant minutes in 2021. He is going to be one heck of a basketball player.

No

Reactions: Kentucky31
Laugh all you want. Despite everybody knowing that he'd end up at Kentucky, Brad was still being pursued by Liberty, Wright St, and East Tennessee St. He was a low to mid major type talent after his year at prep school. Is it really so crazy to think that a walk on, who turned down multiple D1 offers, would be a contributor after practicing against the best players in college every day for 4 years? I don't think so. Cameron Mills and Ravi Moss didn't garner that type of D1 offers when they walked on and had they came back for a 5th year they would've played a ton of minutes.

Brad was already playing spot minutes on last year's team. You seriously don't think that with 2 more years of experience he won't earn significantly more PT?

Joke all you want. If he didn't have a chance at playing, i don't see why Coach Cal would be redshirting him. I'd think he would want him to start his coaching career as soon as possible. I'll gladly re-visit this thread in 2 years...

With this being the case Brad could end up being a solid contributor by his final season. He’s already a great shooter. If he can learn to distribute and guard he would be a very nice seasoned leader. We have the coaching staff and now they have extra time with him.

Not to mention all the great teammates he will have pushing and mentoring him.

This folks is why you should never look directly at an eclipse.
It’s a fair point. Only caliber of player I would take over a 5th year Brad is someone like John Wall, Brandon Knight, Bledsoe, etc.

A 5 Star like Andrew Harrison or Teague would have a hard time beating out a guy who has this coaching staff and caliber of teammates pushing him for 5 years of college competition.

If Brad makes zero improvement, then yes, your point is valid.

Let me give you the downside. I'm not buying that Brad picking up a year means he plays a lot. Worst case scenario.

We win it all this year. Cal retires. Brad transfers to a smaller D1 next year to play immediately.

Reactions: Kentucky31
It’s a fair point. Only caliber of player I would take over a 5th year Brad is someone like John Wall, Brandon Knight, Bledsoe, etc.

A 5 Star like Andrew Harrison or Teague would have a hard time beating out a guy who has this coaching staff and caliber of teammates pushing him for 5 years of college competition.

If Brad makes zero improvement, then yes, your point is valid.

Man I think we’ve had a couple fans that have hit their heads. Freshman Andrew Harrison or Marquis Teague would have a hard time beating out 5th year Brad? WHAT?! I feel like some of you have never actually seen Brad Calipari play.

Man I think we’ve had a couple fans that have hit their heads. Freshman Andrew Harrison or Marquis Teague would have a hard time beating out 5th year Brad? WHAT?! I feel like some of you have never actually seen Brad Calipari play.
I have seen Brad play as a freshman and a sophomore. I have not seen Brad play as a 5th year senior.

If Brad improves every year he is here then yes, 5 Stars such as those would have a hard time beating him out. He can already shoot the ball very well. If he can learn how to defend and be a floor general than he would have a very good 5th year here.

It sounds like you don’t have much faith in our coaching staff.

I have seen Brad play as a freshman and a sophomore. I have not seen Brad play as a 5th year senior.

If Brad improves every year he is here then yes, 5 Stars such as those would have a hard time beating him out. He can already shoot the ball very well. If he can learn how to defend and be a floor general than he would have a very good 5th year here.

No offense, but you’re out of your damn mind. Some guys aren’t cut out to be high level basketball players. Physically, they just aren’t. Brad Calipari is one of those guys. It’s fine, my guess is he’s going to be a really good coach somewhere someday. Which is why he’s here. To learn how to coach.

Hell of a leap you make there to say me saying this makes it sound like I don’t have much faith in our coaching staff.

Is this a joke that I’m not in on? Has to be.

If my desire was to be a college BB coach, then I would want to stay at UK and learn for 5 years, rather than 4. It's not complicated.

Actual four-star players that stay for four years at great programs don't often beat our five star talent. What on earth could you have possibly seen that makes you think a walk-on with Brad's physical limitations is ever going to "beat out" a top 10 recruit? When has that ever happened anywhere?

Actual four-star players that stay for four years at great programs don't often beat our five star talent. What on earth could you have possibly seen that makes you think a walk-on with Brad's physical limitations is ever going to "beat out" a top 10 recruit? When has that ever happened anywhere?
Kemba Walker was a 3 or 4 star recruit who stayed until his senior year. Can’t imagine any freshman beating him out that year. He even went toe to toe with our own John Wall.

Also, if you read all my posts on this topic (and they are in this thread), I did said 5 Stars more akin to Teague and Andrew Harrison (freshman). Those two, in stronger guard classes would not have been top 10 coming out HS imo. I did say in the case that we got a top talent (I pointed to examples such as Wall, Knight, and Bledsoe) that he would not beat them out.

No offense, but you’re out of your damn mind. Some guys aren’t cut out to be high level basketball players. Physically, they just aren’t. Brad Calipari is one of those guys. It’s fine, my guess is he’s going to be a really good coach somewhere someday. Which is why he’s here. To learn how to coach.

Hell of a leap you make there to say me saying this makes it sound like I don’t have much faith in our coaching staff.

Is this a joke that I’m not in on? Has to be.
lol how was that leap? You’re saying that after 4 years with our coaches that he won’t be able to beat out a kid fresh out of HS. That is directly insulting the coaching staff’s ability and his work ethic.

There are several examples of former Wall one and lowly ranked (in HS) players who blossom in college.

I’m not saying Brad is going to end up in the NBA Hall of Fame here, I’m just saying that 4 years with this coaching staff and the guys he’s going against in practice are going to make him a hard guy to beat his 5th year.

I’m guessing you were one of the guys that was telling Harrelson to leave when Cal came in?

He was talented enough coming out of high school to be a 3* type of player.

LOL. What BULLSHIT. No, he was never even remotely close to a three star. He was not a legit D1 prospect. Honestly, I don't know where y'all get some of the nonsense tossed out on this board.

And it baffles me how anyone who's watched the last two years could believe what you've written. The dude has not shown a single D1 basketball skill. He's been a horribly awful shooter, not a good ballhandler, can't defend, can't drive, and has no athletic ability. There's NOTHING he does well.

There are some delusional folk on this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: STL_Cat
Jon Hood maybe.

I think that might have been the one. Here are the NBA players he played with. Only including the ones that were drafted and for sure had regular contracts that I remembered and not like a 10 day deal or something like that. Feel free to correct me if I missed anyone.

John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Darius Miller
Eric Bledsoe
Daniel Orton
DeAndre Liggins
Patrick Patterson
Josh Harrellson
Enes Kanter
Terrence Jones
Brandon Knight
Doron Lamb
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Anthony Davis
Marquis Teague
Nerlens Noel
Archie Goodwin
Willie Cauley-Stein
Alex Poythress
James Young
Andrew Harrison
Julius Randle
Dakari Johnson

That's 23 without counting Aaron Harrison who went undrafted and played like 35 games and Kyle Wiltjer who went undrafted and played like 16 games.

So far Brad Calipari has played with these below.

De'Aaron Fox
Bam Adebayo
Malik Monk
Hamidou Diallo
Isaiah Briscoe
Wenyen Gabriel
Jarred Vanderbilt
Kevin Knox
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

That is 9 so far. It will be tough to catch Hood's numbers, but one site has 6 players from this year's team in a mock draft for next year. If that happens then he only needs 9 in his last 2 years. Definitely doable with all the issues facing some of our recruiting rivals and Coach K potentially nearing the end of his run.

UK90 nailed it. Poor Brad can’t play a lick. Don’t know where people get the idea he can shoot. Bellarmine is division 2 and is really good and he would not even play for them. He has no athletic ability and that is the bottom line. Not trying to be mean to him either. Some of you on here are flat out nuts.

Kemba Walker was a 3 or 4 star recruit who stayed until his senior year.

Wrong. Kemba was a five star (see link), And he left school to enter the draft after his junior year.

But congrats on squeezing two false assertions into one short sentence.

Last edited:
He’s already a great shooter. If he can learn to distribute and guard he would be a very nice seasoned leader. We have the coaching staff and now they have extra time with him.

Good lord, man, is this a game where your're trying to see how many laughably false statements you can sneak into one thread?

Do you realize you just called a player whose career shooting percentages are 15 percent from the field, 15 percent on threes, and even from the friggin free throw line only 40 percent a "great" shooter?

What kind of drugs did you ingest today?

Last edited:
Reactions: STL_Cat

I don’t like to see Brad being ridiculed on here, we have to remember that Brad doesn’t say any of these things only the fans. But in the end things like height and quickness are not going to come to him with more time but he can learn the game and be a better overall shooter, that is containable.

Good lord, man, is this a game where your're trying to see how many laughably false statements you can sneak into one thread?

Do you realize you just called a player whose career shooting percentages are 15 percent from the field, 15 percent on threes, and even from the friggin free throw line only 40 percent a "great" shooter?

What kind of drugs did you ingest today?
So his teammates are liars then? Every teammate he has had says he’s one of the best shooters on the team. Him shooting low percentages in games is probably due to lack of confidence.

The word “great” would be better substituted with the word “good.” I’m so sorry.

LOL at announcing his redshirt like it matters.

No disrespect meant to Brad, but I kinda thought the same thing. He may have been able to play and contribute at a smaller school, and he may be a great kid, but I cannot see him ever improving his quickness enough to play defense in his dad's system.

Most guys would also consider this to have a scholarship to pay for school, but I'm guessing Cal could afford tuition if Brad's scholly expired before he completed his degree.

If not, we need to get Cal signed up for Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University ASAP. :smiley:

Josh Harrelson was as as slow and lowly ranked as you get at UK. Yet somehow he improved over his time at UK.
HospitableEminentBillygoat-size_restricted.gif

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

(Please don't compare Harrellson and "Earned Not Given" again.)

lol how was that leap? You’re saying that after 4 years with our coaches that he won’t be able to beat out a kid fresh out of HS. That is directly insulting the coaching staff’s ability and his work ethic.

There are several examples of former Wall one and lowly ranked (in HS) players who blossom in college.

I’m not saying Brad is going to end up in the NBA Hall of Fame here, I’m just saying that 4 years with this coaching staff and the guys he’s going against in practice are going to make him a hard guy to beat his 5th year.

I’m guessing you were one of the guys that was telling Harrelson to leave when Cal came in?

A person can only stretch his/her athletic ability so far, and even with the best coaching in the world, I think Brad will have trouble stretching his to the point of contributing at a major level.

If he proves me wrong, that will be awesome for him as an individual, the UK team, and me as a fun as that would be a great story. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

UK90 nailed it. Poor Brad can’t play a lick. Don’t know where people get the idea he can shoot. Bellarmine is division 2 and is really good and he would not even play for them. He has no athletic ability and that is the bottom line. Not trying to be mean to him either. Some of you on here are flat out nuts.
He actually does well for someone with legs that are 3/4th the expected length for someone of his torso size. But he does compensate for that with his 6 inch vertical leap.

Man...there really are some people on here that are delusional to think he is ever going to be able to compete for any playing time with the guards Cal recruits, and I bet Brad knows it.

He is here to learn how to be a successful coach, and I bet he will be.

I would say that.

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT