ADVERTISEMENT

What happened between Calipari & Matt Jones?

Aug 17, 2021
Genuinely asking.

I'm fully aware of how polarizing MJ is on this board, but personally I haven't followed him too closely in recent years. I've been listening to more postgame shows this season, especially after the losses and big wins, and he's been very open about how Calipari doesn't like him anymore, but what actually happened to make it get that far? Can someone fill me in on the lore?

Genuinely asking.

I'm fully aware of how polarizing MJ is on this board, but personally I haven't followed him too closely in recent years. I've been listening to more postgame shows this season, especially after the losses and big wins, and he's been very open about how Calipari doesn't like him anymore, but what actually happened to make it get that far? Can someone fill me in on the lore?
He criticized some of Cal’s decisions i. The past few seasons. Especially during the 9-16. Cal cut him off.

He did the same to Tucker last season.

Cal is an egotistical ass who can’t handle legit criticism.

He criticized some of Cal’s decisions i. The past few seasons. Especially during the 9-16. Cal cut him off.

Exactly why Cal surrounds himself with yes men. This is another reason I don’t trust Cal because he doesn’t like when people challenge his decisions

Calipari is a sore ass loser. Jones told the truth about Calipari that he is not meeting Kentucky standards, the way he talks down to this fan base, etc and CCC didn't like it. He expects everyone to touch the hem of his garment like he's a prophet and how dare anyone question his lordship. I'm not a big MJ guy but he is right. What else is Jones supposed to say about the sorry ass state of the program after an embarrassing loss? I don't think MJ has an agenda against Cal. He's just calling it as he sees it which is no different than most everyone on here who voice their displeasure. Jones just has a much larger platform. He has stated numerous times and it is evident KSR boomed around the time Cal got here and it has helped his career with the success of Kentucky Basketball.

But but but.. what did Cal do to you personally to cause you to butt in someone else's beef?

He did this while he was at memphis too. Anybody that was critical of him or his program were cut off. Ask Geoff Calkins. Why do yall think he went scorched earth on Cal when he left for Kentucky?
My parents were in the Memphis area during the Cal run there. To say he was thin-skinned was an understatement. He went after any criticism with a purpose.

Reactions: adam512003
Genuinely asking.

Matt talked about it after loss on Thursday. He said Peavey was his connection and source to Calipari. First 10 years, he and Cal spoke on a regular basis. But Peavey left around Covid, and Matt said he was critical of Cal during the 9-16 season, and Cal basically cut him off. He also said there are some people in UK Admin/Athletics who have been trying to get he and Calipari "back together".

Matt said when Peavey, Robic, and TJ Beisner left... there is now no one who is willing to tell Calipari when he is making mistakes..

One phone from Cal to the show would heal up all wounds.
You're right and Matt Ryan and Drew all would have their nose back in his ass again Matt hates it he can't get to the punch anymore his inner circle has been taken away from him drama and attention uggh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT