ADVERTISEMENT

Boycott of UK

158907767.jpg
Do they still do the stupid candy cane pants?

Lol, I can't wait to see you all in the game thread in 8 months (the uptick in new usernames will be a sight to behold).

Not happy with the decision but also understand it. Would have been an incredibly tough turn to replace Calipari right now with the way portal is structured, NIL, etc.

As a half glass full guy, Mitch made this decision and has firmly tied himself to Calipari's hip. If it blows up, he is on the hook too and that may be the best of both worlds.

I think the collective will get their wish of Reed doesn't return. If he does, the place will be full. I won't miss any games and fully intend of enjoying as much as possible. Life's too short...JMHO.

Back in the day, family banned me from watching UK games with them because I would get, shall we say, vocal about my displeasure with coaching decisions (Forgive me, Tubby!).
I was such an avid fan I could not handle mediocrity. And we’re beyond that now (I know fans in other programs would note we were #9 in both polls going into the Tournament and #12 in the final poll. But this is Kentucky! We’re not satisfied with that alone. These early exits are inexcusable and directly tied to lack of preparation and flexibility by our coach.).
I said that to say, choosing to not spend hard-earned dollars or time off attending games might seem odd to outsiders, but it doesn’t mean we don’t care or aren’t fans. Quite the opposite: we are SUCH fans that we cannot handle this same pattern year-after-year again, only to have the same ending over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (the “overs” represent the number of seasons since our last Final Four). Of course we want the ‘Cats to win! We want them to win it all next season, and every season for that matter. But enough is enough.

Last edited:
You have to impact the purse strings in order to make a boycott successful.
I live in Ohio but I know a lot of the people in Eastern Kentucky are upset.
Sad thing is most of us are fans that will never be able to attend a game.
We're probably a big majority people wise, but we're in the minority money wise.
I just dvr the games.
We win, I watch the replay, we lose I delete.
Delete button has a lot of wear and tear on it.
Would be interesting to see the results if this debuncle could be put on a ballot.
Big boys might be surprised.
Have a great day.

You hit the nail on the head. I’m in eastern ky. Literally almost everyone is upset with cal. The people here are not the ones attending the games very often. It’s a long drive and it’s expensive. This why I laugh when people urge people to stop going to games. Hell I kinda hope you do stop going then maybe those prices will come down more people from my area will make the trip. I’d like to sit in lowers at some point lol. But rupp will never sit empty. The folks in those seats may not be the same, but there will still be folks in those seats

Spending money on Kentucky sports doesn’t make anyone a better fan than us in eastern ky either.

The fact that people don’t believe boycotts are effective proves they’ve been brainwashed by big business. There are plenty of examples proving that’s wrong. from Budweiser to the movie industry to Kentucky football it has been proven, over and over again, that there is still power in the vote of the dollar.

And if you don’t think BBN can boycott games then idk what to tell you. You must only watch UK basketball because we did that to Joker and he got bounced.

I’m not sure we have enough of the fanbase on board for an effective boycott but every little bit helps. And if this season follows historical trends then I think they’ll have a hard time filling up Rupp by January.

The people who support Cal no matter what are not most of the fans buying tickets to games and spending thousands on travel arrangements to see the cats play in the SEC or NCAA. But they soon will be the only ones doing those things and we’ll see how well yall can fill up an arena.

Last edited:
Serious question.
How many people do you really think will boycott?
Is this a few fish in a big pond or a lot of sharks circling the prey situation?
Can't answer your question, but I will say that Rupp attendance used to average over 23,000 and now even after "renovations" that reduced capacity to 20,500 there are plenty of empty seats for most games. Mitch can keep Cal if he wishes, but there can be a price to pay for that decision that in the end may be greater than the contract/buyout that he is responsible for.

Joker didn't get fired over some boycott.

Joker got fired because he didn't produce results at all. Obviously neither is Cal at this point but he at least has the track record to fall back on I guess.

100% false. He was being retained by Mitch until then. He was forced to make a move because of fan support and revenue. It 100% made a large impact.

No offense but, did you just assume that and make it up? lol.

Reactions: Ugoff
Exactly. I understand sorta/ kinda “supporting” (I use that term very loosely) Cal at this point. I mean not really but I’ve seen some good posters say something along the lines of “I want him gone but I’m not sure we should hire so and so to replace him”.

The above is a BIG difference than folks like @MdWIldcat55 and all those clowns in that Facebook group. You’ll notice certain people ADAMANTLY defend and slurp Calipari. From behind.

To support Cal that much… to bash and ridicule those who want him gone. To create Facebook groups with explicit rules “nOt tO baSh coAch cAL”. To post on this board constantly whining and menstruating all over the threads about how stupid we are for wanting a change… all of that means they support his political views and social activism and that is why they are so steadfast in their support.

2020 changed a plethora of folks. For the worse.
It really shows the power of propaganda and group think.

This is the oldest and most vocal message board. I am not sure it is the largest group . There are several and each has several thousand members. I know of two on FB that have close to 50000 total. The support Cal percentage for those groups are as high , or higher, than the fire Cal group is here. A boycott, in my opinion is just talk at this point. Too many supportive and yes, rabid, fans still out there.

Let them play in empty stadiums. All sports.
I almost always like your takes but don't agree with this one. Let not the sins and failings of Cursed Cal the False Prophet and his Minion Milquetoast Mitch the Inept be spread amongst the masses.

Let Rupp Arena alone be an empty tomb for their failings.

Last edited:
You show them boys, and hang tight. BBM will be as it always has been. Attendance will probably increase. Now the real fans will be able get those blue hair tickets.

I posted this in another thread but I am not one to tell someone else how to be a fan or say that they aren't a fan if they don't support the team the same way I do. With that said UK is my team and I will wear my UK gear, I will buy more of it, I will watch every game and I will have high hopes going into the season that we turn things around. If you choose to do the opposite then that is your choice and I will not call you out for it as that's your choice. I would hope you will do the same for me and we can disagree but be civil and mutual UK fans.

Reactions: sk73
I've told multiple seasons ticket owners to re-evaluate their decisions. That decision is ultimately up to them and I stated as much but I asked them, "is this mediocrity the standard you're paying to see? If so, then a change may be needed."

I posted this in another thread but I am not one to tell someone else how to be a fan or say that they aren't a fan if they don't support the team the same way I do. With that said UK is my team and I will wear my UK gear, I will buy more of it, I will watch every game and I will have high hopes going into the season that we turn things around. If you choose to do the opposite then that is your choice and I will not call you out for it as that's your choice. I would hope you will do the same for me and we can disagree but be civil and mutual UK fans.
You really will have high hopes? What are you, 12? You can fan how you like but having hopes while Cal is here is not reality.

I guess the civil part must be hard for you to do? I have high hopes because I choose to be happy instead of miserable person for the next 7 or 8 months.
I don't consider that not to be civil.

Most adults can analyze a situation and look at it realistically. I do not think expecting Kentucky to make deep runs with calipari is realistic.

I don't consider that not to be civil.

Most adults can analyze a situation and look at it realistically. I do not think expecting Kentucky to make deep runs with calipari is realistic.
I didn't call you names or insinuate you are a child because you don't agree with me. You have an opinion and I respect it and you could do the same. I don't see how, even in your rebuttal where you still insinuate I am not an adult, that you are civil.

I posted a couple days ago that I was leaving but my friend just told me Cal is officially back so I came here just to see how everyone was feeling, old habits die hard I guess

But yeah, I really don’t watch a lot of football in general anymore and this was the first season I came back to college basketball pretty heavy but I just can’t support this program any longer while the clowns are still running the show.

I’ll be departing now, I guess nail might have a chance at the funniest poster award and who knows, might even get lucky winning the prediction contest.

Thank you all for your friendship through the years and who knows, maybe I’ll come back once changes are made but I do feel as I’ve gotten older, my love for sports has died down. Take care of yourself

I didn't call you names or insinuate you are a child because you don't agree with me. You have an opinion and I respect it and you could do the same. I don't see how, even in your rebuttal where you still insinuate I am not an adult, that you are civil.
Done with this. Good luck on the hope thing.

I posted a couple days ago that I was leaving but my friend just told me Cal is officially back so I came here just to see how everyone was feeling, old habits die hard I guess

But yeah, I really don’t watch a lot of football in general anymore and this was the first season I came back to college basketball pretty heavy but I just can’t support this program any longer while the clowns are still running the show.

I’ll be departing now, I guess nail might have a chance at the funniest poster award and who knows, might even get lucky winning the prediction contest.

Thank you all for your friendship through the years and who knows, maybe I’ll come back once changes are made but I do feel as I’ve gotten older, my love for sports has died down. Take care of yourself
Don't leave here yet.

I didn't lose. I just ran out of time. Two decades.

I won't be engaged this season. I will be prioritizing winter activities over Kentucky basketball. Like ice fishing. Ice fishing.

I already don't buy merchandise, last thing I bought were UK themed scrub caps for my mother following chemo, last fall. Haven't been to a game since Tubby was dipping on the sidelines. I've streamed the games for free the last few years.

I don't know how much or if I can make a difference, but I'm sick of this clown show, and it's going to be the same thing. Again. I won't be blocking out time for gamedays any longer to watch Calipari shit his pants.

I won't be engaged this season. I will be prioritizing winter activities over Kentucky basketball. Like ice fishing. Ice fishing.

I already don't buy merchandise, last thing I bought were UK themed scrub caps for my mother following chemo, last fall. Haven't been to a game since Tubby was dipping on the sidelines. I've streamed the games for free the last few years.

I don't know how much or if I can make a difference, but I'm sick of this clown show, and it's going to be the same thing. Again. I won't be blocking out time for gamedays any longer to watch Calipari shit his pants.
I stopped giving any donations and buying merchandise 3 years ago. I'll keep my money in my pocket.
I'll go about my life and enjoy my family and try not to lose my sanity over the complete shitshow that we see happening in Lexington. I don't agree with keeping the asshole as coach but if our incompetent School President and the board don't care and the AD has no backbone then so be it. Next season will be a laughingstock. For those who have hope that things will change, reality is going to be a rude awakening for you but keep your hope.
I choose to not lose my sanity to the insane clown posse currently in charge of the basketball program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT