ADVERTISEMENT

Boycott of UK

For the last 3 seasons our fans have been FILLING UP Rupp even though we have had the worst 4 seasons of UK Basketball since the probation of the late 80's. People will continue to come because for many in the state, attending games in Rupp is a STATUS SYMBOL as much as it is a sporting event.

Heck, fans that have had seats in the first 6 rows of Rupp for a long time are being uprooted for corporations to pay BIG BUCKS for those seats. The fans being uprooted are SUING to keep their seats. I would tell Mitch to EAT IT!!!

Mitch cares NOTHING about the RABID fans!!! He is a STOOGE!!!

I gave up my seats in 2019 because of the 9 pm games and Cal's attitude toward the home schedule. But I am one of just a few.

I still watch EVERY GAME on TV and go to some of the neutral site and road games, but I am DONE giving Mitch ANY more money for basketball!!!!

Do not know. I have not talked to one single fan that wants John calipari back. These are people that three years ago thought he hung the moon.

Boycotts don't work, just ask Budweiser.
You have to impact the purse strings in order to make a boycott successful.
I live in Ohio but I know a lot of the people in Eastern Kentucky are upset.
Sad thing is most of us are fans that will never be able to attend a game.
We're probably a big majority people wise, but we're in the minority money wise.
I just dvr the games.
We win, I watch the replay, we lose I delete.
Delete button has a lot of wear and tear on it.
Would be interesting to see the results if this debuncle could be put on a ballot.
Big boys might be surprised.
Have a great day.

Yeah I'm worried about what kid Rock's doing.

If you don't want to participate don't, otherwise piss off.
Damn this really riles people up. I mean, I havnt been to a game in years but my absence hasn’t meant anything. Yours won’t either. Maybe in football if we have a joker spell.

So no one should attend a UK football game come Sept. either when we're starving for sports, is that correct? This grand "boycott all sports" idea might've made a bit more sense when the basketball team ended their season with nine wins. I get the frustration - but this suggestion is just silly and unrealistic but it's the internet so go figure. Glad you got a pile of internet likes though.

As hard as it is my family is donating / buying nothing from AA and attending no sporting events except baseball. I cannot support this. As alumni with kids it’s hard, but I’m not contributing to this. It’s all I’ve got and I’m using it.

Some of you need to respect that there are those of us who think not supporting the product is the best way to support this program over the long haul.

This is what happens when you allow non Kentucky men to have the power. This ain’t happening at UNC and Kansas.

So no one should attend a UK football game come Sept. either when we're starving for sports, is that correct? This grand "boycott all sports" idea might've made a bit more sense when the basketball team ended their season with nine wins. I get the frustration - but this suggestion is just silly and unrealistic but it's the internet so go figure. Glad you got a pile of internet likes though.
People that want to attend football games can attend football games. People that want to attend the basketball games can attend the basketball games. If you are upset about this situation, you do not need to be supporting UK athletics in any way across the board. All sports.

If anyone with season tickets is looking to unload (in either sport), please PM me. Im serious. Looking for football tickets.

Please do not boycott UK football. And also I don’t discount how great Cal was at reviving the program when he got here but he is out of motivation.

If we have a mass exodus the class coming in is going to get killed in a ton of games. The arena will slowly sprinkle out and he’ll have to be fired middle of the season. Either way, Calipari is going to be replaced very soon and Mitch has a lot of time to get Oats or whoever ready to go. But he needs to be fired too, he’s only been seen successful thanks to exploding modern revenues it’s absolutely nothing he’s done. He was handed SEC pie money. That’s it. He doesn’t even really have programs that contribute to it.

And he’s destroyed our basketball program over time, slowly. He’s the worst AD I’ve ever seen running high major SEC programs.

158907767.jpg

I’m not watching or giving my money to anything involved with uk athletics. Im done till Cal is gone
I stopped giving money 3 years ago. Now I'm just going to go on and enjoy life with my family and not watch the finishing touches of the bastards destroying our basketball program. It's a literal shitstorm happening in Lexington.
Don't buy merchandise or donate any money to NIL or anything involving the athletics department. Since the UK administration doesn't care, stop donating to scholarship funds. Hurt them where they cam feel it..no more money until Calipari and Barnhart are gone. Eli can hit the road to as he has no cahoonas to make anybody accountable.

Comparing UK to IU is a terrible comparison. IU has been shit for 30 years.

We'd be more like Auburn football if we fired coach after coach.

Sounds like 30,000 mask wearers to me.

Exactly. I understand sorta/ kinda “supporting” (I use that term very loosely) Cal at this point. I mean not really but I’ve seen some good posters say something along the lines of “I want him gone but I’m not sure we should hire so and so to replace him”.

The above is a BIG difference than folks like @MdWIldcat55 and all those clowns in that Facebook group. You’ll notice certain people ADAMANTLY defend and slurp Calipari. From behind.

To support Cal that much… to bash and ridicule those who want him gone. To create Facebook groups with explicit rules “nOt tO baSh coAch cAL”. To post on this board constantly whining and menstruating all over the threads about how stupid we are for wanting a change… all of that means they support his political views and social activism and that is why they are so steadfast in their support.

2020 changed a plethora of folks. For the worse.

Last edited:
I stopped giving money 3 years ago. Now I'm just going to go on and enjoy life with my family and not watch the finishing touches of the bastards destroying our basketball program. It's a literal shitstorm happening in Lexington.
Don't buy merchandise or donate any money to NIL or anything involving the athletics department. Since the UK administration doesn't care, stop donating to scholarship funds. Hurt them where they can feel it..no more money until Calipari and Barnhart are gone. Eli can hit the road to as he has no cahoonas to make anybody accountable.
The cal cult is trying to shame us into watching because they know uk lost a lot of fans

Didn't UNC fans have to do something similar to get rid of Matt Doherty?

No, the guy was just a major league ahole from day one:

“The new coach replaced pictures of legendary coach Dean Smith with photos of himself. He got rid of office personnel that had been there for decades, including the main basketball secretary, Angela Lee, considered "the backbone of the program" by numerous former Tar Heels.

Lee was the program's liaison to all former players, a friendly and comfortable contact. If Smith was the Godfather of Carolina basketball, many have said Lee was the Godmother.

Doherty made numerous changes, including reportedly moving Smith and Guthridge's offices to the basement of the Dean Smith Center, and by the time he coached his first game, he had alienated a significant portion of the athletic department and former players, many of whom stopped coming to Chapel Hill. The family, so important to this program's extended culture, was falling apart, and Doherty was at the root of the collapse.

The situation deteriorated so much that despite Doherty's reported profanity-laced tirades and personal insults directed at the players, office personnel, ticket workers, the janitorial staff, and what is believed to be broken relationships with Smith and Guthridge, the players received the blame. And all the while Baddour and Chancellor James Moeser – both some 40 years older than the accused – have watched quietly for eight days, doing nothing to exonerate the kids who will make the school millions.”

I'm not sure I could do that.

Cal or no Cal, UK is just too big a part of my life to just say I'm boycotting this.

Joker didn't get fired over some boycott.

Joker got fired because he didn't produce results at all. Obviously neither is Cal at this point but he at least has the track record to fall back on I guess.

I'm not sure I could do that.

Cal or no Cal, UK is just too big a part of my life to just say I'm boycotting this.
I graduated from UK, I love the University and I love the basketball program but I can't continue supporting those who are destroying what I love. The only way to make them feel the power of BBN is to hurt their money flow. It's all they understand or care about.
Cut the flow of dough going in and they will get the message.
Sometimes it's necessary to discipline something you love.

Let them play in empty stadiums. All sports.
I'm there with you; I'll still read this board and the boxscores, maybe the highlights. But I expect UK to go downward next year and then Cal will be let go so it's a wasted year.

A guy over 65 that's been showing obvious signs of mental decline isn't going to become like he used to be no matter how hard he tries. What else would you call what has happened to Cal the last 4 years other than mental decline?
I'm older than Cal and I know my brain doesn't work as efficiently as when I was young man and even I knew UK would have been very good this year if Reeves, Sheppard, and Dillingham had spent 28-30 minutes per game on the court together instead of 15-20 minutes on the court together. Even against Oakland with Sheppard and Dillingham having bad games we outscored them when those 3 on the court together. Any coach that couldn't
figure that out shouldn't be in charge of our program.

If anyone with season tickets is looking to unload (in either sport), please PM me. Im serious. Looking for football tickets.
I already offered my basketball lowers to you at cost. $6k. Be happy to sell a few football games as well- to the crappy games. 40 yard line- lowers.

Reactions: blubo
Sounds good, but will never happen. There's 30,000 reta- I mean people in a facebook group called ''TRUE KENTUCKY FANS NO HATERS NO BASHERS''. And one of the questions when joining is ''do you support coach cal''. And ''negative'' posts against Cal is met with a swift ban. We're so ****ed. Half the fanbase is under the spell of a yankee salesman. The other half is too apathetic to care or in the process of bailing on the program.
I joined that group a long time ago because they had something I wanted to read. Don‘t remember what it was but left it yesterday. Some idiot was posting that if UK fired Cal UK would become IU. I couldn’t resist so I replied. I respected their rules and simply replied why that wouldn’t be the case including that when Knight was let go the players bonded together and said if Davis was not the coach they were all leaving. IU let the inmates run the asylum.

Wont regurgitate the whole thing but some asshole starts defending Knight and says Knight was treated unfairly and Alford got screwed. That asshole is a “top contributor“ over there. Now I am UK through and through but my parents moved to Indiana in 1978 and I have lived here since. I am an IU grad but am not a fan of anything IU—especially how they treat in-state students and nobody in their right mind can say Knight was treated unfairly. So evidently closet IU fans can post any bullshit they want.

IU made a lot of mistakes to get them where they are now, including letting Knight guys force out Sampson for his recruiting transgressions, which honestly should not have been a deal killer. So IU is reaping what they sowed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT