ADVERTISEMENT

Bowden's Bowl

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
UK does not get to a bowl game this year but for Eddie Gran and Lynn Bowden revamping the offense into a ground attack spread option. Lynn strapped this team to his back and the offensive line (and WRs) did a masterful job at creating opportunities and Lynn looked like a Heisman athlete, and would have been in the discussion had he had a whole season like this at QB.

Therefore, I hope Mark Stoops declares this Bowden's Bowl, regardless of what happens this weekend from a W/L perspective.

Mark should tell Lynn that Lynn's role in the bowl game is purely up to Lynn. If Lynn wants to play QB and continue this ride and have his day, so be it. If Lynn wants to go back to WR and potentially have a big day as a WR, to leave that last taste in the NFL scouts mouths, so be it. Gran has 15 days to install whichever Lynn wants.

The bowl is about the extra practice and preparing young players for the spring and next season. I would let Lynn decide what offense we play and his role. He deserves that, IMO.

It’s a team sport, so it’s the teams bowl. Agree about letting Bowden choose his position for the bowl, he has earned that. But I gotta think he lets the coaches decide because he is a team player.

Reactions: Cattrumpeter
pile-of-poo_1f4a9.png

I just hope he plays at all. He doesn't seem like the type to sit it out and wait for the draft but we are screwed if he does sit out.

Reactions: ManitouDan
No chance, Lynn bleeds blue.
He also has a son that he’s obviously wanting to provide for. I don’t have the first clue what Bowden would do, but if he sits out the bowl I wouldn’t be upset with him or question his loyalty to the Big Blue. I’d love for him to play, but he doesn’t owe it to us, IMO.

Last edited:
He also has a son. I don’t have the first clue what Bowden would do, but if he sits out the bowl I wouldn’t be upset with him or question his loyalty to the Big Blue. I’d love for him to play, but he doesn’t owe it to us, IMO.
Josh Allen also had a son, and he played in the C Bowl !!

Reactions: Smashcat
Josh Allen also had a son, and he played in the C Bowl !!
I know and I’m glad he did. I’m just saying Bowden has something that’s going to take priority over him bleeding blue.

If Bowden decides to not play the bowl game, which again I have no idea if he’s even considering that option, he’ll get crushed by some on here. I don’t think he should. He needs to do what’s best for him and I’m not going to question his loyalty to the blue and white regardless.

I know and I’m glad he did. I’m just saying Bowden has something that’s going to take priority over him bleeding blue.

If Bowden decides to not play the bowl game, which again I have no idea if he’s even considering that option, he’ll get crushed by some on here. I don’t think he should. He needs to do what’s best for him and I’m not going to question his loyalty to the blue and white regardless.

It's a glorified exhibition so he won't get crushed by me. He is the main reason we are even going to be in a bowl game.

I suspect part of the OP’s calculus was based on the possibility Bowden might prefer a receiver/returner position in the bowl over QB, as there might be less risk of injury.

I agree with the OP. Let LB decide where LB plays,’and then don’t tell anyone!!

Reactions: jauk11
It's a glorified exhibition so he won't get crushed by me. He is the main reason we are even going to be in a bowl game.
Completely agree. I’m just thinking back to threads on this topic and some will be upset. They’ll be in the minority, but it’ll happen.

I think Stoops wants to win, but he understands the value of a bowl this year, as it was in his first two bowls, is to improve his young team. I think last year was about winning and finishing top 12. It was probably also a bit personal with Franklin. But, this year's mid-tier bowl is about improving for next year.

Reactions: The-Hack
I suspect part of the OP’s calculus was based on the possibility Bowden might prefer a receiver/returner position in the bowl over QB, as there might be less risk of injury.

I also think that Lynn has demonstrated about everything he can to scouts from the QB position. If he had a big bowl as a KR, PR and WR, that would really do well to catapult him into combine season.

Reactions: The-Hack
Why is there even a discussion about LB playing in a bowl game that will be a month away and we have an important in-state rival game this weekend?

Hell, I’m more focused on beating the Dirty Birds right now and winning it, a victory in it probably carries more significance in finishing with a strong recruiting class for next year and for a few more reasons... The bowl game will take place after the early signing period........

Last edited:
If he doesn't play I would hope he would announce early on. Going to be a lot of angry people if they spend the money to go to the bowl and the most important player sits out.

Good post, I was going to suggest a good compromise would be for him to play WR in the bowl, maybe a couple of reverses or so, but giving scouts another look at him at WR and still contributing to the team. But I think he probably does whatever the coaches ask him to do. Can't players take out insurance on their future earnings in a case like this?

I think Stoops wants to win, but he understands the value of a bowl this year, as it was in his first two bowls, is to improve his young team. I think last year was about winning and finishing top 12. It was probably also a bit personal with Franklin. But, this year's mid-tier bowl is about improving for next year.

Yeah, I really wanted him to beat Franklin, payback is a bitch.

And Josh played reduced snaps.

I can't imagine Lynn not playing. But I'll understand if he doesn't

I would understand too. Last year’s bowl was really more significant. Big stage with highly ranked teams. Beating PSU ensured the final season ranking. And, all of the NFLers benefitted from the attention in that game.

I am not sure the lesser bowls have the same impact. But, whether at WR or QB, Lynn would be the primary focus of UK’s team. I am sure scouts would notice. While I want to win, I would love to see Lynn have a big day at WR to cap his career.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT