ADVERTISEMENT

Someone please explain Oh St QB situation

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
McCord starts for an 11-1 OSU team that certainly would be in the playoffs if it was 12 teams this year. No reason to think they won't be in the mix next year.

OSU goes to a NY6 bowl game, Cotton, and the kid not only ours out but transfers to Syracuse, where 6 wins will be a challenge and the only way he'll be at at NY6 bowl is if he buys a ticket.

OSU did not lose Day, so coach leaving is not a reason. Gotta believe starting QB at OSU has more NIL opportunities than anyone at Syracuse. Maybe wasn't assured he'd be the starter next year but has a leg up and injuries/slumps happen so he'd played a bunch, regardless.

Why not play in the Cotton Bowl and THEN transfer? Not like he's gonna have any opportunities to play a game at that level at Syracuse. But, why transfer at all? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Can any make sense of this?

McCord starts for an 11-1 OSU team that certainly would be in the playoffs if it was 12 teams this year. No reason to think they won't be in the mix next year.

OSU goes to a NY6 bowl game, Cotton, and the kid not only ours out but transfers to Syracuse, where 6 wins will be a challenge and the only way he'll be at at NY6 bowl is if he buys a ticket.

OSU did not lose Day, so coach leaving is not a reason. Gotta believe starting QB at OSU has more NIL opportunities than anyone at Syracuse. Maybe wasn't assured he'd be the starter next year but has a leg up and injuries/slumps happen so he'd played a bunch, regardless.

Why not play in the Cotton Bowl and THEN transfer? Not like he's gonna have any opportunities to play a game at that level at Syracuse. But, why transfer at all? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I think I probably also would have left before the Cotton Bowl if I were in his shoes.

If your coach comes to you and effectively says “we don’t think you’re the right QB for us moving forward,” then why stay? Especially after having a decent year.

People don’t seem to realize that a lot of the transfers we’re seeing are due to coaches running players off, and not simply kids wanting to switch schools.

I’ll at least give Ryan Day credit for letting McCord know this early on, and allowing McCord to take full advantage of the transfer portal window.

Seriously, does anything in the transfer portal make sense right now? I understand kids needing to be able to get enrolled for the spring semester of school. But, the timing of the transfers are killing CFB. I wish the old transfer rules were put back in place with a few caveats… like coaching changes.

I think this is at least a small example of why coaches like Kirby and Chip Kelly and a lot of talking heads are starting to be more vocal about changing.

There is no rhyme or reason for 90+ percent of all the turnover.

There is absolutely no reason for starters and players who are getting good playing time at P5 programs to transfer.

There's also no reason for anyone to bail before the championship game.

The schedule/logistics of recruiting season, portal season, and even coaching carousel season have to get figured out.

Secondly, I think there needs to be a legit free agency system and contracts. Meaning, there's a specific period of time when players can roll if they don't want to re-up with the team.

I'd like to see 2-year contracts as part of NIL.

Lastly, we need to know what the market is. We need to know who is making what as well as other perks, agreements, etc...

There's a structure in the NFL for this very reason. You can't have stars or even role players just up and leaving right before the post season.

O$U's offense has struggled this year and part of it is due to QB play. Dude was getting recruited over so he got out.

I think this is at least a small example of why coaches like Kirby and Chip Kelly and a lot of talking heads are starting to be more vocal about changing.

There is no rhyme or reason for 90+ percent of all the turnover.

There is absolutely no reason for starters and players who are getting good playing time at P5 programs to transfer.

There's also no reason for anyone to bail before the championship game.

The schedule/logistics of recruiting season, portal season, and even coaching carousel season have to get figured out.

Secondly, I think there needs to be a legit free agency system and contracts. Meaning, there's a specific period of time when players can roll if they don't want to re-up with the team.

I'd like to see 2-year contracts as part of NIL.

Lastly, we need to know what the market is. We need to know who is making what as well as other perks, agreements, etc...

There's a structure in the NFL for this very reason. You can't have stars or even role players just up and leaving right before the post season.

Why 2 year contracts, most of the top players are gone in 3 years, make it 3 years, that gives the original school a chance to get a return on investment and it gives the kid a chance to move on if things didn't work out at the first school. Leaving after 5 months because you didn't move up the depth chart as fast as dad or handlers expected is just abuse of the system. I have no hard feelings with Vandagriff and JDJ transferring out, Vandagriff had spent 3 years in the system and never won the starting job and Beck returning meant he would have 1 year, if he won the job, to start. JDJ saw talented kids taking snaps, hated they left but understand their reasons.

Seriously, does anything in the transfer portal make sense right now? I understand kids needing to be able to get enrolled for the spring semester of school. But, the timing of the transfers are killing CFB. I wish the old transfer rules were put back in place with a few caveats… like coaching changes.
Are you all not paying attention? It’s free agency disguised as NIL. Because the NCAA has no backbone it will continue.

Reactions: Girthang and K86
McCord was ok but was being recruited over, and I’ve read that he wanted to be promised the starting job next year. Day wouldn’t promise him the starting job, so he followed the money to start at Syracuse.

Why 2 year contracts, most of the top players are gone in 3 years, make it 3 years, that gives the original school a chance to get a return on investment and it gives the kid a chance to move on if things didn't work out at the first school. Leaving after 5 months because you didn't move up the depth chart as fast as dad or handlers expected is just abuse of the system. I have no hard feelings with Vandagriff and JDJ transferring out, Vandagriff had spent 3 years in the system and never won the starting job and Beck returning meant he would have 1 year, if he won the job, to start. JDJ saw talented kids taking snaps, hated they left but understand their reasons.

Maybe there's a "redshirt contract" kind of like a "rookie contract." You sign it, get a season to develop and 2 seasons to play. So, a team and kid essentially have 3 years to see if it's going to work. End of sophomore year the contract is up. Coaches know if he can play or not, and player knows his prospects.

Generally speaking, though, I don't want college teams to make the same mistake the NFL, and all pro sports, have made with contracts that are too long and agree to too much.

Contracts are a double-edged sword, they're great in that they lock people in and they're awful because they lock people in.

I don't want that mentality of "well we're paying him, so we got to play him..." to come into CFB.

As great as the league is, that's the one thing that tarnishes it. Ruins good teams, handicaps front offices.

I would still have thought he'd have the opportunity to start. Plus, if he's QB2, he'll play a bunch and the starter may get hurt or struggle.

Why Syracuse, an also-ran program? He wouldn't have had suitors at a better program after starting at OSU? Really curious decision, imo. Plus, lost most likely the only chance to play in a big bowl game.

FYI: Ohio State's had 2 4* freshman WRs enter the portal in the last 24 hours. Both with multiple SEC offers out of HS including UK.

Reactions: BigTyrone
I would still have thought he'd have the opportunity to start. Plus, if he's QB2, he'll play a bunch and the starter may get hurt or struggle.

Why Syracuse, an also-ran program? He wouldn't have had suitors at a better program after starting at OSU? Really curious decision, imo. Plus, lost most likely the only chance to play in a big bowl game.
McCord likely wasn’t going to get a chance to play in the Cotton Bowl if he stayed.

After the Michigan loss, Ryan Day said they were looking at starting Devin Brown instead of McCord in the Cotton Bowl.

Day made it crystal clear that OSU was going to move on from McCord. With only one year of eligibility left, it makes perfect sense why McCord would choose to enter the portal. He wants to play and who can blame him for that.

Reactions: grevey35
McCord was ok but was being recruited over, and I’ve read that he wanted to be promised the starting job next year. Day wouldn’t promise him the starting job, so he followed the money to start at Syracuse.
And his coach at Syracuse is already trying to recruit over him. At every school in every sport, coaches are always trying to recruit over every single position. It doesn't matter if you're the QB at Bama or the lead bidder on the Rook team at Alice Loyd.

One question I have is what happens to the kids, in the portal, who doesn't get an offer from another school? Do they go back to their original school, drop football altogether or walk on somewhere? There are 1882 kids in the portal and more to come, not all of them are moving onto another school and a lot of them aren`t highly rated.

One question I have is what happens to the kids, in the portal, who doesn't get an offer from another school? Do they go back to their original school, drop football altogether or walk on somewhere? There are 1882 kids in the portal and more to come, not all of them are moving onto another school and a lot of them aren`t highly rated.
Guys not offered would either move on with their lives or walk on. And you're right, there's likely to be many who won't be picked up. Still, would have to think there are schools in FCS/D2/D3/NAIA/JUCO who need players.

Maybe there's a "redshirt contract" kind of like a "rookie contract." You sign it, get a season to develop and 2 seasons to play. So, a team and kid essentially have 3 years to see if it's going to work. End of sophomore year the contract is up. Coaches know if he can play or not, and player knows his prospects.

Generally speaking, though, I don't want college teams to make the same mistake the NFL, and all pro sports, have made with contracts that are too long and agree to too much.

Contracts are a double-edged sword, they're great in that they lock people in and they're awful because they lock people in.

I don't want that mentality of "well we're paying him, so we got to play him..." to come into CFB.

As great as the league is, that's the one thing that tarnishes it. Ruins good teams, handicaps front offices.

I don't have an answer, but there has to be some kind of compromise. I know this won't stand up in court because it will be violating someone's rights. If you want to transfer your first 24 months, you have to sit a year. But if you transfer after 24 months you can play immediately. I think that is fair and reasonable for both sides. Granted things weren't fair and reasonable for the last 50 years, prior to that I don't think there was a ton of money being made. But to survive, there has to be some changes, otherwise let's get things in the open. Hire an auction company, put together highlights of players entering the portal and let the bidding begin.

Reactions: K86
Some of them have a brother that is good enough to get them onto another team whereas their actual talent doesn’t justify.

McCord likely wasn’t going to get a chance to play in the Cotton Bowl if he stayed.

After the Michigan loss, Ryan Day said they were looking at starting Devin Brown instead of McCord in the Cotton Bowl.

Day made it crystal clear that OSU was going to move on from McCord. With only one year of eligibility left, it makes perfect sense why McCord would choose to enter the portal. He wants to play and who can blame him for that.

Day never once said that about Brown starting the Cotton Bowl over McCord! McCord's Dad requested a 1 on 1 with Day looking for a guarantee his Son would be QB1 in 2024 and Day said there would be an "open competition" and Dad McCord didn't like hearing that.

Reactions: UK_fanatic
And his coach at Syracuse is already trying to recruit over him. At every school in every sport, coaches are always trying to recruit over every single position. It doesn't matter if you're the QB at Bama or the lead bidder on the Rook team at Alice Loyd.
True except that UK is probably the only place that promises starting QB spot to newest transfer (Levis, Leary, and VG) and never has a backup decent enough to challenge them at all.

True except that UK is probably the only place that promises starting QB spot to newest transfer (Levis, Leary, and VG) and never has a backup decent enough to challenge them at all.
How do you know who was promised what, were you there?

How do you know who was promised what, were you there?
How many examples do you need?

This off-season all 3 backups transferred out when they knew a transfer QB was on the way.

You think Leary after being successful at NC State saw Wade in the bowl game and thought he wouldn’t be the starter?

Not to mention the transfers were hand selected by Coen and had the biggest NIL deals on the team.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong about it, just that the backups were probably not SEC level while the new guys were brought in with NIL = automatic (guaranteed*) starters.

Last edited:

This off-season all 3 backups transferred out when they knew a transfer QB was on the way.

You think Leary after being a successful at NC State saw Wade in the bowl game and thought he wouldn’t be the starter?

Not to mention the transfers were hand selected by Coen and had the biggest NIL deals on the team.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong about it, just that the backups were probably not SEC level while the new guys were brought in with NIL = automatic (guaranteed*) starters.
I'll give you the last paragraph but it remains that neither you nor I were there, anything above that is speculation. But, so what? You think Nix and Pennix and Jaden Thompson and Dart et al weren't given a wink-wink, nod-nod?

This the way I see it at least:

Ohio St wants an open comp for the spot. Probably with a transfer in as well. Which QBs cost big money to transfer so that would probably be the player with the advantage from the off.

If he stays and competes for the job in the spring, he could win which would be the best scenario for McCord.

Or he could lose the job, which would be the worst case scenario as he would want to transfer to play in his last year. Then he wouldn’t get spring practice at his new school and his options would probably be limited cause a lot of schools already have their QB.

So they took the least risky option. Enter the portal, hear out what teams have to say and what NIL offers there are. Syracuse must have offered something decent.

Reactions: albundy83

You think Leary after being successful at NC State saw Wade in the bowl game and thought he wouldn’t be the starter?

You act like we're alone in this. Lots and lots of teams have been relying on Portal QB's since the portal became a thing. What has Ole Miss been doing? How did Jayden Daniels arrive at LSU? How about Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, etc.? How did Michael Penix arrive at Washington? WHere would UT have been last year without Hendon Hooker? It's the trend for lots of teams lately. Pretty much all of those guys were guaranteed or expected the starting jobs when they transferred. Vandagriff has two years of eligibility and unless he blows up and becomes a top draft pick, he will be here both years. So I'm not sure what the griping is about? It's the way to survive present day college football.

Reactions: Girthang
As I'm sure others have said, OSU basically put the Michigan loss on him and told him that they were getting someone else.

It's quite pathetic of them as he won 11 freaking games but Day might be in trouble if they lose to Michigan next year so they went hard for the top QB transfers.

I’m not griping not pointing out that players are actually promised starting jobs regardless of what people on here think. My only gripe is that we rarely have a serviceable backup because all the eggs are put the starter’s basket if that makes sense haha.

Apparently Levis was taking backup snaps when he got here. Word was that he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the roster the first practice. It was obvious after the first day that he was QB 1 on talent alone.

Reactions: Girthang and JDHoss

Well....that's called recruiting over players, just like I said earlier. They think the portal player is the better player, so they recruited him. If that player gets here and can't win the starting job, then he doesn't start. In the cases with Levis and Leary, they have been better than the other quarterbacks. They thought Ray Davis was a better RB than anyone else we had on the roster, so they recruited him. They were right, he was better.

Sicilian mafia made him an offer he couldn't refuse

All of that sounds great, but people look at pro sports as the example. Good or bad, that's what they seek to emulate.

And contracts are made to be broken. Coaches do it all the time. Programs do it all the time. No reason the kids shouldn't and won't.

It's been "in college football" for a very long time.

It's not easy to put all of this together at a team/program with great football tradition, and it shouldn't be. I wish the ncaa wasn't complete bullsht with no real leadership, too. It's not gonna change

Reactions: The-Hack
Well....that's called recruiting over players, just like I said earlier. They think the portal player is the better player, so they recruited him. If that player gets here and can't win the starting job, then he doesn't start. In the cases with Levis and Leary, they have been better than the other quarterbacks. They thought Ray Davis was a better RB than anyone else we had on the roster, so they recruited him. They were right, he was better.

It's not "recruiting over players." Sick of that passive term. It's simply recruiting the best available. If the ones on the roster want the job, they should work harder and develop more.

What none of these QBs seems to understand and may never do is that THEY need to get their receivers and backs together and run drills on their own, just like basketball players need to get in the gym and shoot besides what they do in practice. Nobody just wakes up one day and are handed a starting job. They need to know the scheme and read defenses lie they're reading a kid's book. If they do that, and have a repoire with their backs, TEs, and receivers, they'll show out and win the job.

Mommy and daddy aren't going to make them a successful starter. Their coaches can only do so much. THEY HAVE TO DO THE HARD STUFF.

Reactions: The-Hack
You act like we're alone in this. Lots and lots of teams have been relying on Portal QB's since the portal became a thing. What has Ole Miss been doing? How did Jayden Daniels arrive at LSU? How about Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, etc.? How did Michael Penix arrive at Washington? WHere would UT have been last year without Hendon Hooker? It's the trend for lots of teams lately. Pretty much all of those guys were guaranteed or expected the starting jobs when they transferred. Vandagriff has two years of eligibility and unless he blows up and becomes a top draft pick, he will be here both years. So I'm not sure what the griping is about? It's the way to survive present day college football.

Cam Newton transfer paid off for him. Stephen Johnson and Terry Wilson paid off for us. It's not that new and shouldn't have taken this long to happen. But it's chaos right now.

It's not "recruiting over players." Sick of that passive term. It's simply recruiting the best available. If the ones on the roster want the job, they should work harder and develop more.

What none of these QBs seems to understand and may never do is that THEY need to get their receivers and backs together and run drills on their own, just like basketball players need to get in the gym and shoot besides what they do in practice. Nobody just wakes up one day and are handed a starting job. They need to know the scheme and read defenses lie they're reading a kid's book. If they do that, and have a repoire with their backs, TEs, and receivers, they'll show out and win the job.

Mommy and daddy aren't going to make them a successful starter. Their coaches can only do so much. THEY HAVE TO DO THE HARD STUFF.
Was thinking about this recently. Hopefully BV/QBs can get with WRs, TEs, RBs ASAP and throw and throw and throw. It'll pay off.

That’s exactly what took Andre Woodson from being a so so QB, actually a not so great QB in his first season as a starter to damn near being a Heisman contender. He showed leadership and got his receivers out there in the off season to work. He wasn’t assured of being the starter after his first season as one, but he got out there and proved he deserved it and it paid off.

Why should player movement be restricted? Other students can transfer at will, coaches can change jobs. Whether fans and coaches like it is irrelevant, the system is finally fair for the players

As I'm sure others have said, OSU basically put the Michigan loss on him and told him that they were getting someone else.

It's quite pathetic of them as he won 11 freaking games but Day might be in trouble if they lose to Michigan next year so they went hard for the top QB transfers.
As mentioned in another post, McCord (and his father) wanted Day to promise he would be QB1 next year. Day wanted to open the competition and was planning to give the backup QB some run in the bowl game, before deciding on how aggressively to look for an experienced QB in the portal. Unfortunately, Devin Brown got hurt early in the bowl game and wasn’t able to show enough to give Day the confidence he was ready to be QB1 next year. There were also reports that McCord was also asking for an NIL raise. 🙈

McCord had a decent year and put up some pretty good numbers. However, he was a big step down from the last 3 QBs at OSU (Stroud, Fields, Haskins). He’s not mobile, accuracy was inconsistent, struggled to go through his reads, and would often lock onto a single WR, typically Marvin Harrison Jr, whom he played with in high school. Luckily for him he was throwing to 4 and 5 star wr’s. It will be interesting to see how he does at Syracuse.

Will Howard K-State QB committed to tOSU today.
This is a guy I would have loved to have. A physical monster who thrives running the ball. Frankly, though, BV reminds me of him, though a tad smaller.

I’m sure he did well by NIL at tOSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT