ADVERTISEMENT

Bossi picks Greg Brown to Memphis, which has no 2020 commits

Why do these guys wanna go play against Marshall and south Florida with a coach who is going to miss the tourney and had the #1 player in the class of 2019 bail on him I’ll never understand it
Because they can be the number one guy on their team. Why would Cade Cunningham go to OK st? He can do what he wants in that offense and get his stock even higher for the draft.

Cal doesn’t travel solely to see a player play. He travels to meet players, shake their hands, meet their coaches, meet their families - you know, to recruit. There’s no question that you can see things in person the camera doesn’t capture - like how the player reacts to coaching, how he talks to his teammates, etc. But you could get 90% of what matters from film - not highlight videos - from film.

Again, that’s why coaches rely on film sessions, and officiating in many sports is subject to review using - you guessed it - a video recording. Why? Watching a video closely and repeatedly can tell you more about an event than a single firsthand glimpse at full speed.

Yours is a very silly opinion and I think you know it. Every day we send people to prison on the basis of grainy, black-and-white security feeds. I can sure as hell express a general opinion about a high school basketball player on the basis of a veritable library of high definition video.

And what’s the alternative? The bar for an opinion on Greg Brown is traveling across the country to sit in a Texas high school gym? This website, and every other site like it, wouldn’t exist if anyone shared your opinion. Thank the lord no one is that dense.

Again you're not talking about any of these things you mentioned. Not TV, film sessions, black and white security videos...you know that. You are talking about YouTube and edited videos where said recruit never misses a shot. You cannot judge a kid on that. Just can't. Everyone knows. I'll repeat because you like to stray from the original posts back and forth, you are talking about YouTube videos versus actually being on hand to see recruit.

They are fun to watch and you like that. I get it. Cannot evaluate talent from videos where they don't miss shots or show very little defense

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Again you're not talking about any of these things you mentioned. Not TV, film sessions, black and white security videos...you know that. You are talking about YouTube and edited videos where said recruit never misses a shot. You cannot judge a kid on that. Just can't. Everyone knows. I'll repeat because you like to stray from the original posts back and forth, you are talking about YouTube videos versus actually being on hand to see recruit.

They are fun to watch and you like that. I get it. Cannot evaluate talent from videos where they don't miss shots or show very little defense

Nobody ever said “YouTube videos” or “edited videos” except you. You kept that qualification to yourself, which is part of why your argument was so silly.

This^. He’ll slide right in and be able to do basically whatever he wants on offense to showcase his ability. Penny has let his players have a lot of freedom in that offense and memphis should surely improve since i think their top 6-7 are all freshman, even if they lose Precious (in the golem voice).
Precious has been really good for them. Wiseman's departure helped his role expand, for sure. I wish I knew his back story. Seems like Cal never gave him any attention and he didn't wind up at Kansas like most predicted for some time. Has to be something behind the scenes that was a red flag.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Anyone that picks Memphis over UK is not about winning and winning at a high level. The hard choice is to go to UK and compete against the best everyday and get better, win games, and have a chance at a title. You go to Memphis to put up gaudy numbers against inferior competition and maybe hang a AAC banner before your early exit in the tourney (if you make it at all). But as Cal says, “UK isn’t for everyone.”

I get it at first when Memphis had a shinny Penny, but why would any top guy go there now. Penny has never won an NCAA game and that might not change this year if they make it. He had the #1 class and hasn't looked that impressive especially getting drummed by Tulsa by 40. I get they don't have Wiseman, but they still have 3-4 really good players and a stud in Precious. I rarely hear about Memphis and I watch a lot of college BB. Why go there and play in that league and get little pub. Right now they have zero guys coming in and they will lose a decent amount in a very weak draft. If 2 studs like Brown and Green go there it won't be enough to be much better than this year.

Brown would be a star playing with Boston and Clarke at UK. I just don't see how it's even close. Yesterday they showed 7 or so of the Top 10 recruits this year and guys like Isiah Stewart UW, Edwards GA, Scottie Lewis FL, Wiseman Memphis-gone, and McDaniels UW, and how disappointing their teams have done and that maybe the Blueblood path that some spurn is the much better bet.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Return EJ, Quickley, Juzang, Allen, Brooks and sign one of Kepnag, Banchero (preferably, although I think he stays in 2021 and becomes a package deal with Kennedy Chandler), or Omoryui (sp?) and we’re all set. We are loaded at the forward position. Brown sees that as well and that’s why I believe he won’t be at Kentucky. He’s more of a want than a need anyways.

Last edited:
Return EJ, Quickley, Juzang, Allen, Brooks and sign one of Kepnag, Banchero (preferably, although I think he stays in 2021 and becomes a package deal with Kennedy Chandler), or Omoryui (sp?) and we’re all set. We are loaded at the forward position. Brown sees that as well and that’s why I believe he won’t be at Kentucky. He’s more of a want than a need anyways.

Return Montgomery, Quickley, Brooks, Juzang, and Allen and I don’t think we will sign anyone else.

We already have Clarke, Boston, Jackson, Askew, Ware, and Fletcher coming in. That’s 11 scholarship players plus a preferred walk-on (Canada). That’s a full roster for Cal. I doubt another stud big will want to come in and battle with a Junior Montgomery for minutes.

The roster is pretty loaded anyway with those guys back. Anymore and we will likely lose a guy mid-year to transfer (just like Green and Whitney the last two seasons).

G Quickley/Askew
G Clarke/Allen
G Boston/Juzang
F Brooks/Ware/Fletcher
F Montgomery/Jackson

Thats a loaded team for a coach that rarely plays more than 8 guys meaningful minutes. Some very talented guys like Askew, Allen, Ware, Jackson, and Fletcher are probably going to have to be patient if that happens.

We sign Brown and Montgomery comes back, the front court becomes very, very crowded. Going to be hard to keep all those guys happy. We would likely be the early favorites though with Quickley, Clarke, Boston, Brown, and Montgomery as our starters. Three stud OAD Freshmen on the wing anchored by a veteran PG and C with a loaded bench. Sounds like a championship team.

Anyone know if Penny’s sister’s brother’s uncle’s cousin’s best friend’s mother’s daddy paid Brown’s family half a million for a snickers on a Sunday afternoon while Penny was not on Mempiss property?

That should be grounds for an injunction in some Memphis kangaroo court.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Anyone know if Penny’s sister’s brother’s uncle’s cousin’s best friend’s mother’s daddy paid Brown’s family half a million for a snickers on a Sunday afternoon while Penny was not on Mempiss property?

That should be grounds for an injunction in some Memphis kangaroo court.
Penny is organizing a uhaul crew as we type

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
Return Montgomery, Quickley, Brooks, Juzang, and Allen and I don’t think we will sign anyone else.

We already have Clarke, Boston, Jackson, Askew, Ware, and Fletcher coming in. That’s 11 scholarship players plus a preferred walk-on (Canada). That’s a full roster for Cal. I doubt another stud big will want to come in and battle with a Junior Montgomery for minutes.

The roster is pretty loaded anyway with those guys back. Anymore and we will likely lose a guy mid-year to transfer (just like Green and Whitney the last two seasons).

G Quickley/Askew
G Clarke/Allen
G Boston/Juzang
F Brooks/Ware/Fletcher
F Montgomery/Jackson

Thats a loaded team for a coach that rarely plays more than 8 guys meaningful minutes. Some very talented guys like Askew, Allen, Ware, Jackson, and Fletcher are probably going to have to be patient if that happens.
I believe Ware and Fletcher aren’t immediate impact players. I hope they are willing to stick around and put the time in to be great multi year players. IMO, in this scenario, we still need an immediate impact big to fill the 5 spot with Montgomery. There’s room. I just really hope we return the 5 I mentioned. If we lose any of those, my expectations will become very tempered for next season. We will be good but not national championship caliber. There’s something to be said for experience and talented depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT