ADVERTISEMENT

Boom

Those rankings mean jack. On3 has us at 40. 24/7 ranks our class in the top 5. How about we play some games first instead of handwringing over made up class rankings.

On3 also factors in a in/out transfer ranking - Teams like WVU and UL look good because the players out weren't very productive. UL's player in ranking is 88 vs player out at 73.4. UK has a 86.6 (in) vs 83.6 (out).

This proprietary algorithm determines if a school has improved its overall team talent, stayed the same, or declined in talent during the transfer window.

Louisville also has 10 transfers coming in, but 2 of them are redshirting, while our ranking is based on 7 incoming as of this morning. So we really should have an 8 vs 8 comparison.

It isn’t that dude. It’s just that you’re still stuck in the “dribble drive” mentality.

When you have players that know how to pass the ball, and 10 out of 12 guys can burn the nets… it changes things.

Edit: oh and the coach actually teaches plays. And don’t even get me started on defense.
That and a big thing I’ve noticed is people are focusing solely on PPG at the previous stops and not the other things the guys pope has brought in can do. Also a lot of people are ignoring what Collin Chandler can become. I like every add and this roster as a whole, add one of( Robinson/laneir/poplar) which they need to do and this becomes a really good team

Not everything is about Cal. You still need good talent to compete.
We don’t have a guy that will do it every night, but we do have 6-7 guys that will average 12-14 points per game and any one of them CAN drop 20 on any given night. I don’t want to rely on one player. I prefer a balanced scoring attack. I wouldn’t turn down a major scorer, but to act like we are helpless without one is silly.

Nice depth piece. Now finish it with one of the guys who will pull out of the draft. The SEC is LOADED this season.

I think adding one of those 3 takes us to being really good
Agree, you have good defensive guys, good shooting, good rebounding, a go to scorer in laneir and a bunch of players who all fit clear roles. The only thing missing is a guy who can consistently beat his defender off the dribble, but that’s CALs offense not popes. Pope actually runs sets and calls plays so he doesn’t necessarily need that.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Agree, you have good defensive guys, good shooting, good rebounding, a go to scorer in laneir and a bunch of players who all fit clear roles. The only thing missing is a guy who can consistently beat his defender off the dribble, but that’s CALs offense not popes. Pope actually runs sets and calls plays so he doesn’t necessarily need that.
You still have to have the talent no matter what offense you run.

Boom!
sunglasses.gif

Kentucky-Boom5.gif

You still have to have the talent no matter what offense you run.
Where has pope not added talented pieces? He added a guy who shot 50 percent from 3 last year is that not talented? 2 DPOY in their conference is that not talented? Oweh and Carr avg double digits in good conferences last year is that not talented? Krisa is TBF not high on him, but we move on. Chandler is going to be really good once he gets settled, garrison has potential. Laneir/Robinson takes this roster to another level

What was Oakland's ranked last year?
Is Oakland our benchmark now? If Oakland was in the SEC they wouldn't have made the tourney.

There is nothing wrong with not being thrilled about not getting high level talent. Yall are probably the same ones who thought Alex Legion and AJ Galloway were gonna get us 8 back in the BCG era.

Is Oakland our benchmark now? If Oakland was in the SEC they wouldn't have made the tourney.

There is nothing wrong with not being thrilled about not getting high level talent. Yall are probably the same ones who thought Alex Legion and AJ Galloway were gonna get us 8 back in the BCG era.
Then go follow your boyfriend cal then man. You have complained about damn near the whole roster. How pope has built this roster is how most of college basketball has to build rosters.

Reactions: smac99
Where has pope not added talented pieces? He added a guy who shot 50 percent from 3 last year is that not talented? 2 DPOY in their conference is that not talented? Oweh and Carr avg double digits in good conferences last year is that not talented? Krisa is TBF not high on him, but we move on. Chandler is going to be really good once he gets settled, garrison has potential. Laneir/Robinson takes this roster to another level
If this is our final roster piece the record will tell the truth.

Not everything is about Cal. You still need good talent to compete.
how did all that talent work the last 5-6 years big man, thought so go find another team we do not need all your positive energy running around go make others miserable

Reactions: flacat22
If this is our final roster piece the record will tell the truth.
Do you think this roster right now is a 17-14 Theo of roster or something? Add Lanier and this team can seriously challenge for the SEC and that’s not even including the final spot which could be will Riley or a foreign player

Reactions: Catfan2226
I can't believe the staff pulled this off! Going toe to toe with Siena and stealing one!
I posted this the other day. Worth reposting here.

It's a New York sportswriter on how Almonor scored 23 points in his first NCAA tournament game -- then took on the totally different role of frustrating Edey as FDU upset a #1 seed.

So, save your snark. There is plenty this kid can do to help Kentucky. He reminds me of Heshimu Evans, if Heshimu was a better shooter.

Honestly I see about 20 wins without adding anyone. It is what it is.
That the beauty of the situation. It’s all speculation, nobody knows what’s going to happen or who will be good and who won’t, we are all just guessing. Add laneir and this is a clear top 10-15 roster in college ball, and if Riley is the reclass guy then it’s top 10 for sure

Last edited:
Looks like we will have 9-10 guys shooting at least 33% from 3, with 2-3 of them in the 40% range. Fueger said we are going to shoot at least 35 threes per game. I can't wait for the Coach Mark Pope era to begin-so excited to be about college hoops and NOT NBA draft.
Same here! Let the clowns and broccoli tops in Pigville get all excited over "recruiting class rankings".

Reactions: Samurai Cat
There are people who were negative about Calipari. And there are people who are negative about Pope. This guy has been negative about both, and everything else related to the program -- a pretty clear sign he just loathes Kentucky basketball and is trolling.
Sure man my family has had UK season tickets for over 30 years because I have been trolling all that time.

I think it's a fair guess and it's not an insult to Pope. He had to build from nothing so making the tourney would be big for first season.
I don't think you're being unreasonable with this.

I expect him to recruit more to a Kentucky level in the coming years. The signs all point to him being a force on the recruiting trail. But that's going to take time to show results, and certainly won't happen in a month.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT