ADVERTISEMENT

Blue/White Radio Broadcast?

Sep 24, 2016
I know that there won't be tv or video streaming of the basketball game Friday night, but will there be a radio broadcast? I think the game has been broadcast on the radio in the past.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I looked this up on my Newspapers.com account. The Blue-White was broadcast on cable tv on either FoxSports South or the SEC network until this year. The game has been always radio broadcast on the UK radio network, including clear channel WHAS 840 also. While you can't tell much about the team (one year, a player scored about 50 points in this game, but seldom played in the real games) because the players are only giving a half hearted effort particularly on defense, we die hard fans would like to watch the Cats. We fans out in the boondocks, from Paducah to Ashland, love our Cats, but live too far away to attend games in person. The SEC Network is broadcasting the "Out of Pocket" show during the Blue-White Game, so it's not like the basketball game wouldn't fit into the schedule.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Bunch of welfare queens. Think you're entitled to everything for free. There are plenty of tickets to support Kentucky players.

Bunch of welfare queens. Think you're entitled to everything for free. There are plenty of tickets to support Kentucky players.
1) times are tough for people, and UK priced a lot of people out
2) some of us live pretty far from Lex
3) it isn't our job to pay the salaries UK promised those players, so they can in turn make money off them.

Calling people welfare queens when they choose to not pay money to watch an intrasquad scrimmage? Call me whatever you want but I wouldn't pay a dime to watch them scrimmage. College basketball /college sports in general are bastardized to the point now that I can barely watch when it is free.

Most of us pay plenty for Xfinity or one of the other cable providers. Since DirecTV recently bought Dish Network, there will be even less competition among tv providers, and the tv providers can charge even more every month. I have a computer and can stream a lot of games via my Xfinity account. My point is that SEC Network has nothing in particular on their channel at the time of the UK game, and could easily have broadcast the game. By my count, there are 10 UK basketball games that will only be available via streaming SEC+ , and older computer-illiterate fans and less well heeled fans will not be able to see. While I can afford Xfinity's total tv package with the high speed internet, there are lots of UK fans who cannot.

So, does anyone know if it's an actual scrimmage (not a glorified practice) and if it will be on the radio tomorrow?

I don’t really care if they televise it or not and try and turn it into an NIL fundraiser, but they should expect the turnout not to be great.

If the option is to spend $ for a scrimmage vs saving it for an actual game, I’ll take the game 10 out 10 times. I’ve just lost interest in all the preseason stuff.

My understanding is that UK deliberately blocked tv, streaming, and radio broadcasts so as to use this game for NIL fundraising. Only the more affluent fans can afford the expensive tickets to this game. They should be careful in doing this. College sports earns billions of dollars in revenue every year only because of widespread public interest. When the general public becomes alienated from their college teams, and quit watching the games on tv, the networks will quickly cut payments to the college conferences, and if the ratings fall low enough, will quit broadcasting college sports. The shows tv networks broadcast are determined by ratings. In my childhood in the late 1950's, it seemed that half or more of the tv shows were westerns. By the mid-1960's, the general public lost interest in westerns, ratings quickly fell, and virtually all westerns were cancelled. Gunsmoke was the last surviving of the old time westerns when it was cancelled in 1975. In the past 50 years, there have been very few westerns on tv. Colleges, pumped up by the billions of dollars from tv deals, may think they can do anything they want in their arrogance and greed, but they may get a surprise when the public loses interest. Remember that radio is only about 100 years old, and tv about 75 years old. Prior to 1950 or so, only a small percentage of the population attended college, and the general public didn't even care that the colleges fielded ball teams. I think it is possible that the general population could lose its interest in college sports, and whole system collapse. End of 10 million a year coaches, end to 100 million a year college athletic budgets, etc.

As others have said, UK missed a golden opportunity to set up a PPV option for this. You could charge $20/$25 and get a bunch of buys. The number of buys would greatly outpace ticket sales and that NIL coiffure would increase much more than it is with the so-so ticket sales. After the renovations, the capacity is 6250. At $125 per ticket, a sell out would net $781,250. A PPV at $25 would only need a buy number of 31,250. I don't see any reason the buy number wouldn't greatly exceed that. I think UK dropped the ball here big time.

My understanding is that UK deliberately blocked tv, streaming, and radio broadcasts so as to use this game for NIL fundraising. Only the more affluent fans can afford the expensive tickets to this game. They should be careful in doing this. College sports earns billions of dollars in revenue every year only because of widespread public interest. When the general public becomes alienated from their college teams, and quit watching the games on tv, the networks will quickly cut payments to the college conferences, and if the ratings fall low enough, will quit broadcasting college sports. The shows tv networks broadcast are determined by ratings. In my childhood in the late 1950's, it seemed that half or more of the tv shows were westerns. By the mid-1960's, the general public lost interest in westerns, ratings quickly fell, and virtually all westerns were cancelled. Gunsmoke was the last surviving of the old time westerns when it was cancelled in 1975. In the past 50 years, there have been very few westerns on tv. Colleges, pumped up by the billions of dollars from tv deals, may think they can do anything they want in their arrogance and greed, but they may get a surprise when the public loses interest. Remember that radio is only about 100 years old, and tv about 75 years old. Prior to 1950 or so, only a small percentage of the population attended college, and the general public didn't even care that the colleges fielded ball teams. I think it is possible that the general population could lose its interest in college sports, and whole system collapse. End of 10 million a year coaches, end to 100 million a year college athletic budgets, etc.
So much for it being "our" team. Lol Love Pope but won't lie, this is disappointing.

As others have said, UK missed a golden opportunity to set up a PPV option for this. You could charge $20/$25 and get a bunch of buys. The number of buys would greatly outpace ticket sales and that NIL coiffure would increase much more than it is with the so-so ticket sales. After the renovations, the capacity is 6250. At $125 per ticket, a sell out would net $781,250. A PPV at $25 would only need a buy number of 31,250. I don't see any reason the buy number wouldn't greatly exceed that. I think UK dropped the ball here big time.
Exactly.

Could have raised a ton of money doing a PPV. There’s a lot more eyeballs out in the state and outside of the state and in other countries, than will be in the building that night.

So much for it being "our" team. Lol Love Pope but won't lie, this is disappointing.
Can't get over the sense of entitlement from you lazy layabout good for nothings. You get to watch 30 to 40 basketball games for free. You get pro day for free. You watch big blue madness for free. One thing. One measly exhibition game you all would complain is boring. It's not for free. And suddenly it's all hurt fannies and acting like you've been cast out of Eden. Bottom lip all dragging on the ground and stomping your feet because for once you're not getting everything you want from this basketball team.

Well suck it up snowflakes. It's ok if the people that help get Jasper Johnson and Oscar Tshiebwe to play here get to watch a freaking exhibition game that you could but choose not to because you don't work hard enough in life or school to afford it.

An I going? No. And because I'm a well adjusted adult, I won't lose a minute of sleep and no less a fan.

Next thing you know, I’ll have to stay up and watch the delayed broadcast of a mid-week SEC game at 11:30.

And make sure I don't watch/listen to anything so I don't know who wins.
Just put everyone here on ignore like I have. You're next.

J/K :D

Most of us pay plenty for Xfinity or one of the other cable providers. Since DirecTV recently bought Dish Network, there will be even less competition among tv providers, and the tv providers can charge even more every month. I have a computer and can stream a lot of games via my Xfinity account. My point is that SEC Network has nothing in particular on their channel at the time of the UK game, and could easily have broadcast the game. By my count, there are 10 UK basketball games that will only be available via streaming SEC+ , and older computer-illiterate fans and less well heeled fans will not be able to see. While I can afford Xfinity's total tv package with the high speed internet, there are lots of UK fans who cannot.
If it was on TV, how many of those $125 tickets would have been sold?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT