ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett retiring, effective immediately.

Feels like he could have made this decision much earlier.

Let's not rule out a dark horse candidate: getting caught with a cheerleader in the press box. Abrupt retires do often come with a scandal attached.

I was about to say - either a health issue or sexual harassment lol. Would be a dick move to the UVA administration to just up and quit with a month before season starts for no reason.

Just saw goodmans tweet, so Bennett essentially retired because of the changing landscape in college basketball. A.KA he didn’t like NIL and having to play an offensive style of basketball.
That’s what I figured honestly. The old school guys are dropping like flies and who can blame them. You have kids making money like them now, I assume it’s hard to run a program now.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I think it’s the “changing landscape” thing. Bennett and his old school system are bad fits for this new NIL money/transfer portal CBB world. He knew it too and decided to get out while the getting’s still good.

I think Jay Wright quit for much the same reasons.
Of course nothing will be done about what we're all witnessing until the fans get sick of, too, and start leaving. The players won't care, they're "getting theirs".

I was about to say - either a health issue or sexual harassment lol. Would be a dick move to the UVA administration to just up and quit with a month before season starts for no reason.
Goodman keeps saying because of the new landscape. I almost wonder if UVA promised nil $ that wasn’t there, or some guy asked for more than agreed upon and Bennett said screw this.

Goodman keeps saying because of the new landscape. I almost wonder if UVA promised nil $ that wasn’t there, or some guy asked for more than agreed upon and Bennett said screw this.
Probably a lot of it, I’m sure many top flight players weren’t excited playing 40-30 games and not having the resources to make money would be the nail in the coffin for talent now.

Reactions: WeWant9
Wonder if he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar?

If it is actually the NIL thing then I can't say I blame him. The churn has to be exhausting. I expect to see many of the old timers follow him out the door in the next two or three years.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Life is too short to mess around if your heart's not in something. The "right timing" of this in the eyes of the general public is irrelevant. What matters is what Bennett wants and what his family wants and needs.

We'll forget about this as a story by next week, but Tony's life is his and he needs to do what is best for him.

Getting out now if he knows his heart isn't it is a good move. Also helps ensure one of his assistants gets the job. Calhoun retired about 2 months before the season and essentially did the same thing.
I get that for sure but man the season starts in like three weeks. You go from March to mid October and then say, “Nah. Eff it?” Seems odd. But it’s his life.

I get it’s Bennett’s decision but man that is a huge middle finger to UVA and especially to those guys that have started school and are getting ready to play!

This is why I’ll never back the critics who say players shouldn’t be able to transfer randomly. Coaches can do this and basically screw your plans immediately.

I get it’s Bennetts decision and his life but man that seems extremely selfish. He just made a ton of enemies at UVA.

If it’s solely due to NIL and the changing landscape of college bball, I get it but man thats a dick move.

I get what you’re saying from an outsiders opinion- but would you feel the same if Cal stuck around this summer, then retired weeks before the season and we had Brusier as an interim coach lol
Honestly, I would have just been so thrilled that we got rid of Cal ….I wouldn’t mind if we lost every game . It would have been worth it for me.

And I agree with him, if that's what it was. The only way it will ever be fixed is for a complete reset.
Just because you don’t agree with certain things about it, doesn’t mean that it is broken and needs fixing. Times change, things evolve.

Bennett can cry all he wants about the “changing landscape “ but his style of play was more damaging than the nil or transfer portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT