ADVERTISEMENT

Bigs locked in?

Personally I wasn't expecting anything great next season losing your coach and entire roster, but that's me. I'm looking at the following season.

Reactions: Coach Marrow
Do we even know for sure he's coming here? Last I saw he was visiting another place. If he does come, maybe after getting him in our strength and conditioning program, he will lose a lot of that fat and be more effective. At least that's what I'm hoping. He just won't add much besides his knowledge of the offense/defense, his passing and an occasional 3 right now. Hopefully after the surgery he will be able to workout better and be a changed man.
Fair and good point.

Khalifa's looked the same from Charlotte to BYU (amazing how a doughy/out of shape guy has legs problems? Get in shape and it's less stress on the joints/ligaments) so not expecting any physical change. The new trend in CBB analytic nerd-dom is to celebrate out of shape guys who have skill and ignore that eventually it catches up and hurts the team because their statistical chart says.....

I'd love to see that happen but the games I watched he was a liability and when you teach any defense, it's on a string--you pull one guy--they all should move.....he was just such a liability and we always see how SEC may not be the best league, but has NBA size/athleticism. That leads to seeing so many SEC players CBB fans are "stunned" are in the NBA/still in the league due to benefiting from skill development but already possessing the physical traits to excel. (at all positions too, not just frontcourt)
Can’t defend, can’t rebound, can’t score.

Looks like who starts and who is backup has already been settled. I like that. Means backup will not come thinking he might start and be disappointed when he doesn't. Know their roles from the start.
How can a coach already give a player the starting gig without seeing 1 second of practice time from either? What has happened to battling it out in practice and competition?

That wasn't the final poll and before we lost in the SEC and NCAA tournament to crappy teams. The final poll had us listed as 19 & 20. While not awful I would say losing 3 home games, losing in the first round of the SEC tournament, losing to Oakland in the first round of the NCAA tournament and doing it will multiple guys who will play in the NBA is awful.

That was the final poll for the season which is what I said

Try reading.

You guys who act like cal stole your woman are incapable of honest conversation. Its always hyperbole of last season was awful or the last three years have just been the worst ever. It’s hilarious to watch.

It’s perfectly acceptable to say, we had great years but the way they ended is unacceptable. And it is. But when you’re intellectually dishonest about everything it negates the actual truths.

Try reading.

You guys who act like cal stole your woman are incapable of honest conversation. Its always hyperbole of last season was awful or the last three years have just been the worst ever. It’s hilarious to watch.

It’s perfectly acceptable to say, we had great years but the way they ended is unacceptable. And it is. But when you’re intellectually dishonest about everything it negates the actual truths.

We didn't have great years any of the last 3 years.

We didn't win the SEC regular season or tourney once.

I'd call 2022 a good year until March disaster and 2024 a solid year before the March disaster. 2023 was disappointing from beginning to end but ironically won a ncaa tourney game.

With a strong finish to the season, I could see us saying it was a good season. With us losing in the first round of both tournaments combined with losing to UNC-W, losing 10 games, and losing 3 in a row at home, it was a bad season.

Again, we finished the season in the top ten

Whether we were undefeated or had the results we had losing in the first round is unacceptable.

It’s perfectly okay to say that while also saying we once again had a season that was worthy of Kentucky. Were there low points? Of course. Were there high points? Yes

To make moving on from cal the right move we need to be able to have top ten seasons with teams that can make tournament runs. Finishing 25th and losing in the second or third round is not an improvement.

We didn't have great years any of the last 3 years.

We didn't win the SEC regular season or tourney once.

I'd call 2022 a good year until March disaster and 2024 a solid year before the March disaster. 2023 was disappointing from beginning to end but ironically won a ncaa tourney game.

Who said anything was great?

But two of the years you listed we finished the regular season in the top ten. That’s pretty close to great.

I’m strictly pointing out the intellectual dishonest of people claiming the season was a disaster. The tournament was. The season was fine. Could have been better- could have been a lot worst.

Sign me up for a top ten finish every single year right now. The tournament will have its ups and downs as it always does.

It’s possible to have been ready to move on from cal and not just making shyt up or resorting to personal attacks. It’s entirely possible and pretty easy to do… unless one has no life and requires 18-20 year old kids to dictate their happiness- which describes a major portion of this board.

SHow them film of 1996 team where the 11 man was Ron Mercer. But he won a championship.

Pitino intentionally held Mercer back out of respect for the older guys. Until the Syracuse title game where he turned him loose. I think Mercer put up 20 in that game. I do rememberf Pitino stating that about RM.

Don't care for this. Promising starting spots wasn't ok 2 weeks ago and it isn't today.
I appreciate your consistency.

Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the different standards this board holds depending on who they are talking about.

Last season we lost three in a row in Rupp and lost in the first game in both the SEC and NCAA tournaments. That's not a good season, even with some solid/difficult road wins.

Try reading.

So a “great year” to you is not winning the SEC regular season, not even winning a game in the SEC tournament, losing 3 straight at Rupp, losing to Wilmington at home, and having about 6-7 mysterious injuries? Lol, if that’s a great year to you, you ain’t a UK fan.

And Cal didn’t steal my woman, he just stole my basketball program.

How can a coach already give a player the starting gig without seeing 1 second of practice time from either? What has happened to battling it out in practice and competition?
What does a recruiting coach tell a player who asks if he comes will he start? Should he be coy with him and tell him that he will let the two battle it out and if he is better he will start just to get him, knowing that he plans to start the other guy? I can't see that being how Pope operates. I see Coach Pope being upfront and telling him that as right now he sees him being the backup, but it could always change. If the recruited player doesn't see himself in that role he should not accept the offer. Stops potential team problem before it happens.

And he was arguably the star of the championship game against Syracuse. He had 20 pts and Delk had 24.
Disciple of the R.P years for sure!!! I watched that game again after the P.C/BBN celebration 🍾! Listened to Pitino as he spoke how Mercer was the Star, his time had come, but he stayed the course and he played for the name on the Front of the Jersey.
Old to the New! CP I feel brings that same mindset.. This feels good overall!!

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
If Khalifa plays more then Eloy Vargas minutes, it's going to get ugly.
I watched a few BYU games and for what Pope wants to run he does great. I would be happy to have him. The days of us getting long lean athletic players are gone imo. Passing and shooting are on the forefront now.

I watched a few BYU games and for what Pope wants to run he does great. I would be happy to have him. The days of us getting long lean athletic players are gone imo. Passing and shooting are on the forefront now.
This is Kentucky--you can get elite athletic AND skilled players (as in they possess all those qualities). You don't have to settle for frumpy guys who get abused to the point you need a safety whistle to call off the ass kicking.

I thought Robbie Avila was a lock for St. Louis but he hasn’t committed there yet. If Khalifa is an option, then Pope should at least ask Avila first.

So a “great year” to you is not winning the SEC regular season, not even winning a game in the SEC tournament, losing 3 straight at Rupp, losing to Wilmington at home, and having about 6-7 mysterious injuries? Lol, if that’s a great year to you, you ain’t a UK fan.

And Cal didn’t steal my woman, he just stole my basketball program.
Cal hijacked UK basketball for his own selfish reasons and basically destroyed it. 5 stars rarely win in March, but they made him look good in the draft.

Try reading.

No that wasn't the final poll. Had you said the final regular season poll it would have been clear but what you said is incorrect. Go to the link I provided and look at it. It literally says "Final Rankings" for the last poll. The one you are referencing is Week 19 and 2 additional polls came out after that which would indicate that is not the final poll. 😂

This is Kentucky--you can get elite athletic AND skilled players (as in they possess all those qualities). You don't have to settle for frumpy guys who get abused to the point you need a safety whistle to call off the ass kicking.
OUCH. I am having trouble discerning how Ralph really feels about this.

Who said anything was great?

But two of the years you listed we finished the regular season in the top ten. That’s pretty close to great.

I’m strictly pointing out the intellectual dishonest of people claiming the season was a disaster. The tournament was. The season was fine. Could have been better- could have been a lot worst.

Sign me up for a top ten finish every single year right now. The tournament will have its ups and downs as it always does.

It’s possible to have been ready to move on from cal and not just making shyt up or resorting to personal attacks. It’s entirely possible and pretty easy to do… unless one has no life and requires 18-20 year old kids to dictate their happiness- which describes a major portion of this board.
No you are skewing the facts to make Cal look better. The season doesn't end when we play our last regular season game especially when he said we are a team built for March. The season ends when we have played our last game and those last 2 games we didn't play like a top 10 team in losses to inferior teams.

Reactions: Ugoff
I’m gonna wait and see what happens before poo-pooing on anything.

I think our trauma of not having an X and O coach is still here with us. We will be fine.

Go On Coach GIF by Apple TV+

That wasn't the final poll and before we lost in the SEC and NCAA tournament to crappy teams. The final poll had us listed as 19 & 20. While not awful I would say losing 3 home games, losing in the first round of the SEC tournament, losing to Oakland in the first round of the NCAA tournament and doing it will multiple guys who will play in the NBA is awful.

Agreed. Good teams often lose games they should not have lost. But, the loss to Oakland combined with the other losses that you mentioned was failure no matter how you define the word.

With a strong finish to the season, I could see us saying it was a good season. With us losing in the first round of both tournaments combined with losing to UNC-W, losing 10 games, and losing 3 in a row at home, it was a bad season.
where did you get that gif with pope doing CATS in the BYU stadium?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT