ADVERTISEMENT

Bigs locked in?

If true, that must mean Khalifa and I hope Amari Williams from Drexel. That's about as good as you could do in adding two centers, since portal guys generally want some assurance of starting. You can't start nine guys, which is roughly the number of transfers Kentucky needs to pull.

It's a slow day at work and I've refreshed my browser 291 times today waiting for news of an assistant coach. Due to this desperation, I am 100% believing the random Twitter guy and Im choosing to believe the starting big is an All-American.

It's a slow day at work and I've refreshed my browser 291 times today waiting for news of an assistant coach. Due to this desperation, I am 100% believing the random Twitter guy and Im choosing to believe the starting big is an All-American.
You're my competition. I've literally refreshed my browser 290 times and checked various outlets, websites, and discords all day.

Looks like who starts and who is backup has already been settled. I like that. Means backup will not come thinking he might start and be disappointed when he doesn't. Know their roles from the start.

If true, that must mean Khalifa and I hope Amari Williams from Drexel. That's about as good as you could do in adding two centers, since portal guys generally want some assurance of starting. You can't start nine guys, which is roughly the number of transfers Kentucky needs to pull.
If Khalifa starts, we are in big trouble! Or are you saying he is the backup. I wouldn't be thrilled about that, but ok, if Pope trusts him (to improve).

Reactions: JPFisher
But I wonder who the 3rd name/player is? Because 2 starters and his backup would be 3. So who is the PF starter implied there?

Reactions: ORCAT10
Thoughts? Really? That literally says nothing.

My thoughts are everyone should stop speculating and let stuff play out. It’s crazy how addicted people have become to being the first to report something lmao

Looks like who starts and who is backup has already been settled. I like that. Means backup will not come thinking he might start and be disappointed when he doesn't. Know their roles from the start.
I highly doubt that’s been settled. But regardless, why would you like that starting spots have already been settled? That’s not a good thing. Our team hasn’t even been assembled yet

I agree. I actually was thinking last night how those 2 compare. My kids thought "Dammit" was his first name, because every time he played, within seconds I would say "Dammit Vargas". I never cussed much.
I'd play Eloy 100 out of 100 times over Khalifa. The idea of him getting his **** thrown near the rim, having guys dunk on him and trading that for a backdoor pass isn't good enough for me, but still hoping this is speculative and it's someone else that comes to UK.

We don't know that anything was "promised". Perhaps what should have been said is "likely starters".

It probably wasn't but the other poster acting like he's ok with it gave me flashbacks to last season lol.

I agree with Ralph and you about the byu center as well. Please God if he's starting center we will be pining for ugonna.

Most portal guys expect to start, so how do you handle adding pretty much an entire team from the portal?

I think you have to sort of "white lie" to these kids. You have to assemble a team, and that might mean saying "hey if you play hard, you'll get the minutes".. which sort of leaves open the idea that the coach can say "eh not hard enough" and make changes.

You just can't promise minutes. You can give a kid a good idea but that kid needs to know "if you suck, we will have to bench you"

I'd play Eloy 100 out of 100 times over Khalifa. The idea of him getting his **** thrown near the rim, having guys dunk on him and trading that for a backdoor pass isn't good enough for me, but still hoping this is speculative and it's someone else that comes to UK.

Khalifa should be on the team more for 5 fouls and a coach amongst his team mates to help drive the point home CMP is trying to make, more than actually being a player to rely on out on the court. He clearly has a great mind and eye for the game and Pope's vision to pass on to his team mates while hunting for a championship with his remaining eligibility.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
If Khalifa plays more then Eloy Vargas minutes, it's going to get ugly.
Against Baylor (just one game I knew BYU won) He played 28 minutes, had 14 points, 7 reb, 7 asst. I am sure that is probably the best you can get from him and I watched some film and he does seem slow and lazy but does get some things done. Not sure night in night out in SEC if he can make it.

You do not have to promise any starters. Certain players KNOW if they commit, they will start. Kind of like if Sheppard came back, he knows he is a starter. Maybe Williams, maybe the Utah State big. Some of these players, there will not be any guys better than them who will consider UK, Pope knows who he wants and who the best guys are. Example, IF Roach was to sign, he would start, one, he is very good, two, the chances of a players as good as him at the same position committing is not very likely. A lot of it is common sense when they say "Will start". Seeing how no one is left on the roster worthy of starting, a big time commit knows he will.

If Khalifa plays more then Eloy Vargas minutes, it's going to get ugly.
Do we even know for sure he's coming here? Last I saw he was visiting another place. If he does come, maybe after getting him in our strength and conditioning program, he will lose a lot of that fat and be more effective. At least that's what I'm hoping. He just won't add much besides his knowledge of the offense/defense, his passing and an occasional 3 right now. Hopefully after the surgery he will be able to workout better and be a changed man.

Do we even know for sure he's coming here? Last I saw he was visiting another place. If he does come, maybe after getting him in our strength and conditioning program, he will lose a lot of that fat and be more effective. At least that's what I'm hoping. He just won't add much besides his knowledge of the offense/defense, his passing and an occasional 3 right now. Hopefully after the surgery he will be able to workout better and be a changed man.
He had a Louisville visit.

Reactions: KyCatFan
The final one of the season. Released March 11.
That wasn't the final poll and before we lost in the SEC and NCAA tournament to crappy teams. The final poll had us listed as 19 & 20. While not awful I would say losing 3 home games, losing in the first round of the SEC tournament, losing to Oakland in the first round of the NCAA tournament and doing it will multiple guys who will play in the NBA is awful.

Against Baylor (just one game I knew BYU won) He played 28 minutes, had 14 points, 7 reb, 7 asst. I am sure that is probably the best you can get from him and I watched some film and he does seem slow and lazy but does get some things done. Not sure night in night out in SEC if he can make it.
I'd love to see that happen but the games I watched he was a liability and when you teach any defense, it's on a string--you pull one guy--they all should move.....he was just such a liability and we always see how SEC may not be the best league, but has NBA size/athleticism. That leads to seeing so many SEC players CBB fans are "stunned" are in the NBA/still in the league due to benefiting from skill development but already possessing the physical traits to excel. (at all positions too, not just frontcourt)

We finished 9th in the final poll. Can we please stop pretending we had some awful season.
With a strong finish to the season, I could see us saying it was a good season. With us losing in the first round of both tournaments combined with losing to UNC-W, losing 10 games, and losing 3 in a row at home, it was a bad season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT