ADVERTISEMENT

Big z in portal

He looked great at first and then you could see the real him come out when he didn't have his way. Omg lack of effort, never squatted on defense horrible
I can honestly see why though, he played his ass off and looked like an AA only to be parked under the basket as something he’s not. That’s why I’d love him to stay and learn an offense that would really use him. He can block shots too.

Reactions: chroix
I can honestly see why though, he played his ass off and looked like an AA only to be parked under the basket as something he’s not. That’s why I’d love him to stay and learn an offense that would really use him. He can block shots too.
💯 True, and CCC has done that to so many players it's very saddening to think about isn't it. I would definitely feel that way in his shoes. Coaches should think about that.

Reactions: Fox2monk
That's alright. Let every Cal player but Reed and Perry go. Sick of these mercs. But Z would be a damn fool to go to Arkansas. After what Cal did to him.
Yup. Cal played Ugo over him when he was shining in limited minutes.

Pretended like Ugo getting a couple blocks made up for not having Z on the floor completely dominating the offensive end in what minutes he did get.

Now he’s bought the conman’s sales pitch a second time and he’s going to go sit on the bench at Arkansas. The only good thing I can see coming from this is Z once again not getting playing time at Arkansas and telling Cal to go **** himself and going back to Croatia at Christmas and not coming back.

Arkansas fanbase doesn’t know the pile of ish they’ve just stepped into, it won’t be the first player that’s quit the team midseason in the last 5 years on Cal, he won’t even be the second. Enjoy the drama.

Z would look like a completely different player if he put on 20 lbs of good weight and stayed to learn from Mark for a few seasons. He's got all the tools to be very good in this offense.

Ashton Hagans was the third worst starting point guard we've had in the Cal era. He squeaks in right in front of Harrow and Askew.

He shouldn't be saying anything about any subject UK related.

Z would look like a completely different player if he put on 20 lbs of good weight and stayed to learn from Mark for a few seasons. He's got all the tools to be very good in this offense.
Evidently we have $8 million in portal money to offer.

Let's say Reed gets $2.5 million of that.

That leaves $5.5 million.

Give Z $700,000.
Give the bottom 3 to 4 guys about $200,000 combined.

That leaves $4.6 million for the rest of the rotation, which would be about 7 guys. That's an average of about $650,000 each.

It was on instagram under the schools post announcing Pope, he said..

‘Help me out here, so we get rid of a coach who has struggled the last few years in the tournament for a coach who has never even won a tournament game?’

At first i thought it was taking up for Kal but the more I thought about it i started to think he was confused by the bad hire.

If that's all he said, that isn't bad at all. It's a very legit concern. Just wish he wouldn't have posted it.

Why are you guys already writing him off? Didn't Ugo hit the portal last year?
Because this is a coaching change. Because Cal will do to our roster & signing class what he did to Memphis 15 yrs ago. Because everyone on the roster & signing was gonna hit the portal or NBA even if we hired Hurley or Drew or Donovan. Because kids sign with and have loyalty to coaches not programs.

Same all over the sport, not exclusive to Kentucky

If that's all he said, that isn't bad at all. It's a very legit concern. Just wish he wouldn't have posted it.
I wish I hadn't posted what I posted that night, either. But, I'm certifiably insane like 23,000 of our good buddies at any given game. It happens. What matters is how ex players move forward with the team.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
I think Big Z is the perfect Pope pupil. Not sure why he would want to follow Cal. Z would flourish here.
I think Z would fit perfect in this new offense. Pretty obvious he would. Maybe he will listen to Popes attempt to keep him. Maybe there won't even be an attempt. But if Z ends up at Arkansas after the way CCC treated him here that's on him. Why on earth would you follow a guy who never played you or used you the way He did?
Also, even though Z has an upside he is lazy and his defense is awful. Do we really want that anyway?

Name 5...5 players who wouldn't be in the nba today if not for C

At first i thought it was taking up for Kal but the more I thought about it i started to think he was confused by the bad hire.
Bad hire beat teams that have been beating us lately, beat Kansas which we couldn't beat NC State which we couldn't ( no way do t try) beat baylor- ahem coach who lol, beat Kansas state who has been dry analing cow for a while now and that was last year. Last year is a lot closer than 2012. Freshmen can't win in March, how many started in the final four again?

Name 5...5 players who wouldn't be in the nba today if not for Cal.
Whatever the truth is you are beating your head against a reinforced wall nearly to the tune of getting the world to stop saying the sky is blue.

The people doing the picking and writing the checks believe it more than the media and players.

Our guys (hell yes, they are ours) are doing better than the field from the same pool for whatever reasons and however you slice it.

I'm granting it, tipping my cap, and going on about figuring out how to go on deep runs and hang banners which that point has little to do with.

Evidently we have $8 million in portal money to offer.

Let's say Reed gets $2.5 million of that.

That leaves $5.5 million.

Give Z $700,000.
Give the bottom 3 to 4 guys about $200,000 combined.

That leaves $4.6 million for the rest of the rotation, which would be about 7 guys. That's an average of about $650,000 each.

That's a ton of money to go to one player.

We will see if that's what it takes to get him back. As a legacy guy and KY kid I figured he would take less to help UK out.

Because this is a coaching change. Because Cal will do to our roster & signing class what he did to Memphis 15 yrs ago. Because everyone on the roster & signing was gonna hit the portal or NBA even if we hired Hurley or Drew or Donovan. Because kids sign with and have loyalty to coaches not programs.

Same all over the sport, not exclusive to Kentucky
Essentially, it is paying the bill for Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, and company with this class.

Square deal. I'm pretty sure we got the better end of the stick though it blows to pay for something long gone years later.

I think Z would fit perfect in this new offense. Pretty obvious he would. Maybe he will listen to Popes attempt to keep him. Maybe there won't even be an attempt. But if Z ends up at Arkansas after the way CCC treated him here that's on him. Why on earth would you follow a guy who never played you or used you the way He did?
Also, even though Z has an upside he is lazy and his defense is awful. Do we really want that anyway?
He was a freshmen with very limited practice and playing time. Of course he was going to struggle. Z is one of those guys who would get better and better with more PT. His potential is through the roof IMO.

Bad hire beat teams that have been beating us lately, beat Kansas which we couldn't beat NC State which we couldn't ( no way do t try) beat baylor- ahem coach who lol, beat Kansas state who has been dry analing cow for a while now and that was last year. Last year is a lot closer than 2012. Freshmen can't win in March, how many started in the final four again?
You’re barking up the wrong tree if you think I’m a Kal guy. I despised him and have wanted him gone since the Shai team in 2018.

That KU win had some anomalies. KU didn’t have their leading scorer McArthur. They also had an 80%+ FT shooter miss 9FT’s. White those wins were great, it also means he lost quite a few games he shouldn’t have. Not to mention his record prior to this last year was not good at all.

On the 5 stars starting in the FF.. I think there were 2, but I know of 1 for sure. I know UConn started one. Bama may have started the other but I’m not sure there.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
You’re barking up the wrong tree if you think I’m a Kal guy. I despised him and have wanted him gone since the Shai team in 2018.

That KU win had some anomalies. KU didn’t have their leading scorer McArthur. They also had an 80%+ FT shooter miss 9FT’s. White those wins were great, it also means he lost quite a few games he shouldn’t have. Not to mention his record prior to this last year was not good at all.

On the 5 stars starting in the FF.. I think there were 2, but I know of 1 for sure. I know UConn started one. Bama may have started the other but I’m not sure there.
O no didn't mean it that way, fellow cat, apologies!! Whew I can't believe how much backed up frustration I'm still expressing about our programs hijacking lol!!!!
I'm a total computer noob I think I responded to the wrong message while multitasking. Old brain happening here haha

Reactions: IIIBradIII
He was a freshmen with very limited practice and playing time. Of course he was going to struggle. Z is one of those guys who would get better and better with more PT. His potential is through the roof IMO.
I agree the potential is there. 100%. Not saying I want him to leave. I wish he would stay 3 years and develop and actually get playing time to see what he could do. Just saying his d was bad and are there others out there with that same offense with better d. That's All.

Stockholm Syndrome

Good thing he doesn't coach and makes movies. That logic could have been applied to him at some point. He of all people should get it after playing 3 years, was recruited by Tubby before Gillispie signed him and 2 years under BCG before Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT