ADVERTISEMENT

Big z in portal

Hart and Burke were not played by Cal. Big Z was not used properly by Cal. It should have been an easy sale for them to stay.

But what to expect from Z to trust Mitch the guy that could not have the UK admission office do its job timely. I bet Mitch is busy to talk to the players.

Meh. Big Z was fun and exciting but there's gonna be several dozen portal players that can be as good or better next season. We never got to see if he was actually the real deal or not.

I would happily welcome him back if him and Pope think it's for the best though.

Hart and Burke were not played by Cal. Big Z was not used properly by Cal. It should have been an easy sale for them to stay.

But what to expect from Z to trust Mitch the guy that could not have the UK admission office do its job timely. I bet Mitch is busy to talk to the players.
I think some of what we're seeing is Cal signing lazy ballplayers, and selling them on getting them exposure to the spotlight, rather than selling them on hard work and winning championships. So e of the guys from last year I don't feel would last a week in Mark's system where you're expected to learn many sets and have to actually constantly move without the ball.

Meh. Big Z was fun and exciting but there's gonna be several dozen portal players that can be as good or better next season. We never got to see if he was actually the real deal or not.

I would happily welcome him back if him and Pope think it's for the best though.

Please show me all the 7 footers that can step out and shoot threes in the portal.

I'll wait............

Anybody got numbers on how often a guy enters the portal and comes back to the same team?

Please show me all the 7 footers that can step out and shoot threes in the portal.

I'll wait............
There are a bunch that COULD become shooters from deep, but they're constantly told not to work on that, to hover near the basket.

Reactions: TM2013
Hard to believe a guy from Croatia came to play for a coach. Most Croatians dream of playing basketball for Kentucky. We should start recruiting in state only and stop recruiting these “mercs”. If a guy comes here because Mark Pope runs an awesome offense that gives players freedom, I don’t want them. No players with NBA aspirations, just guys who want to entertain the fans and put their futures last.

That is the saddest thing to me. We really rallied behind him. He acted like he loved BBN but in the end none of these modern players outside a very select few care about fans or the university they play for.

You just have to remind yourself that the university means nothing to these type of kids anymore. They’re only there to further there brand, make a little NIL, and then bolt.

Times have changed. Luckily pope will recruit guys that don’t have that mindset

I ignorantly choose to think peopel cares about what’s best for the kid instead of starring what’s right in front of my face. A quick payday always overrides the best situation for the kid
You and I wouldn't be good "runners" or "advisors" for the players if we cared about the player. Too much of this goes on. But in this case, Cal and crew brought him to States-he feels comfortable and he can't enter the Draft Process--so he's going to trust them--as he has to be Draft next time he enters.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
You go to another team, you're dead to me unless you have a damn good reason for going to that team. For all the support BBN gave Z, and Cal treating Z the way he did, Z dug his own grave.
Yup. We supported him, and paid money for a billboard.

He’s literally going to a school that has a sole purpose in beating us next year. **** him.

Reactions: NociHTTP

I'll wait............
I bet whoever ends up our starting center outproduces Z next season. He will probably be a great pro but he is still too soft and slow to be considered a sure stud next season.

Reactions: 1war and NociHTTP
Divorce is a painful thing. You lose some things, you gain some things . But, it's never easy.
Kinda like ripping a band-aid off and just getting it over with.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I think Z is perfect for for Pope’s system.

However, Cal recruited players who want to get to league as fast as possible. That was always Cal’s pitch, and he did it well. Unfortunately for him, the college game changed and it’s now very hard to win with 2-3 excellent young players and a roster full of very young players.

Z came to states to transition into the league. He sees Cal as his fastest ticket to making that happen. I don’t think that’s loyalty as much as it is dancing with the one that got you here.

I’m excited Pope, but recruiting will be mediocre until he gets some players into the league. My preference is to get some very good transfers who make it to the league. (Knect type player is the poster child.) Getting this type of player into the league sets us up for winning, plus positions UK for getting top transfers each year.

I want Z to stay, but I understand his position. Frankly, I’m guessing he’s now fearful for his future and feels like everything has been yanked out from under him.

These players came here because of their relationship with Cal. There will those who are pissed at the fans and blame us for running Cal off. They're young and have been sold a bill of goods by Cal. Pope doesn't have the players in the NBA to prove he's capable. And I'm fine with that. I'm sick of being a one and done, NBA camp. It will take a few years for Pope to get his system and recruits in place. Just like Hurley. But I'm looking forward to sustained success instead of what we've had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT