ADVERTISEMENT

Big new hoops recruiting mailbag

Sisk certainly sounds exuberant about a 6-8 shooter UK has not even contacted (or might not even be aware of).

I don’t like Cal’s politics (only say this because he makes them so public). But we know he doesn’t cheat and that’s awesome given the climate of college BB recruiting.

Recruiting started slipping when Antigua left. I wish we could get him back but I think he’s had problems with the rules at other institutions. I think that’s what I heard on here a few months back, please correct if wrong. But undoubtedly the biggest reason we’ve been slipping is other schools using $$$$ and getting away with it. That and some kids use UK as a “hat on the table” and we’re never coming here anyway. It’s no secret top recruits who are choosing between us and another blue blood or two get a lot more attention and media headlines.

I feel like COVID is hurting us more than other programs because Cal is an old school guy who wants to meet with a kid and watch him in person and others just will throw offers to any high ranked kid no matter whether they fit or if they even have an idea of what the kid's aspirations are. I believe that and the fact that we may have 4-6 guys coming back and it's hard to know exactly which ones will come back.

If Cal could get kids on campus and give them the tour and pitch we would have at least 3 kids by now. This is our worse so far with Cal and the only real difference is the restrictions with COVID.

I feel like COVID is hurting us more than other programs because Cal is an old school guy who wants to meet with a kid and watch him in person and others just will throw offers to any high ranked kid no matter whether they fit or if they even have an idea of what the kid's aspirations are. I believe that and the fact that we may have 4-6 guys coming back and it's hard to know exactly which ones will come back.

If Cal could get kids on campus and give them the tour and pitch we would have at least 3 kids by now. This is our worse so far with Cal and the only real difference is the restrictions with COVID.
We may never get another recruit.

There's only ONE reason why UK's recruiting isn't as good as it once was under Cal. Only one. And it's not because Cal lost his swag or because UK's brand has declined. We don't use the same "methods" as other schools/coaches. End of story.

100% spot on. Cal has no more eased up than he did at the beginning of his tenure here. The entire landscape has been filled with cheating, biased favoritism towards certain schools, and kids wanting to be the whole show instead of an acT. Cal will and is changing to adapt to the corrupt landscape that now shows itself unashamed throughout college basketball.

100% spot on. Cal has no more eased up than he did at the beginning of his tenure here. The entire landscape has been filled with cheating, biased favoritism towards certain schools, and kids wanting to be the whole show instead of an acT. Cal will and is changing to adapt to the corrupt landscape that now shows itself unashamed throughout college basketball.
He’s still bringing in top 3 recruiting classes every year. You can’t except him to have the number 1 class every year for 10 years straight.

Every program, except, the #1 recruiting program is paying players. I love UK. I don’t believe they are doing anything that everyone else isn’t doing but come on man.
I don't think every top program is cheating. Please provide proof.

I don’t even follow recruiting anymore. Whoever shows up shows up at this point. Recruiting hype and rankings don’t do it for me anymore.

And Duke.
By concrete evidence I mean notice of allegations, documents found in investigations, wiretaps. Not a lawsuit raised by a salty former agent that is mad she lost out on millions of dollars. If duke gets ever gets incriminated by one of the first things I mentioned I would be happy to include them in the “they for sure pay players” category.

Reactions: kl40504
There's only ONE reason why UK's recruiting isn't as good as it once was under Cal. Only one. And it's not because Cal lost his swag or because UK's brand has declined. We don't use the same "methods" as other schools/coaches. End of story.
Exactly right. More than half the high school players our fans say they want to see at UK are not even on Coach Calipari's recruiting board because they are seeking extras or require a starting guarantee. Calipari is playing it completely straight, and will not recruit any player he doesn't want to coach or who doesn't fit on his team.

I don’t think it’s just duke fans. What’s wrong with splitting time into frames sometimes and looking at what you’ve done somewhat recently?

Because it’s always from fans of programs that don’t have a history of excellence and a rich and storied tradition on a national level.

Reactions: RunninRichie
By concrete evidence I mean notice of allegations, documents found in investigations, wiretaps. Not a lawsuit raised by a salty former agent that is mad she lost out on millions of dollars. If duke gets ever gets incriminated by one of the first things I mentioned I would be happy to include them in the “they for sure pay players” category.

I use common sense but I can see where you’re coming from by the descriptors you’re using.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT