ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12/SEC Challenge games announced

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
And the Cats are headed to Morgantown.

2018 Big 12/SEC Challenge - Saturday, January 27

(Number in parenthesis is Big 12 team record in the Challenge)Baylor (4-0) at Florida
- Bears won only matchup between schools, back in 1981

Tennessee at Iowa State (2-2)
- Schools have split the two previous matchups

Texas A&M at Kansas (3-1)
- Jayhawks lead the all-time series, 20-1

Georgia at Kansas State (2-2)
- Teams will play for the third time in past four seasons

Oklahoma (3-1) at Alabama
- OU has a 5-2 advantage over the Crimson Tide in the series

Oklahoma State (3-1) at Arkansas
- OSU won last season and 10 of the last 11 matchups

TCU (3-1) at Vanderbilt
- Lone TCU win in the series came in first game (1951)

Mississippi at Texas (2-2)
- First meeting since 1976, with UT holding an 8-6 edge

Texas Tech (2-2) at South Carolina
- Schools match up for first time since 1976-77

Kentucky at West Virginia (1-3)
- UK visits Morgantown for just the third time (1970, ‘41)

DArXKfUXkAUgf2L.jpg:large

Playing in Morgantown is TOUGH! I would anticipate us losing that game. That crowd can be as good as there is in the country (when a big name is in town).

Reactions: TnRustyCAT
Might have to head up there. Are WV fans known for murdering opposing fans? I'm not looking for hostility, just a game.

Probably the biggest match up possible since we've played KU the past two seasons. It will be an extremely tough game and will be a rowdy environment. The one thing I do like about the challenge is that it's played during conference play. So that gives our guys at least some road experience, before heading into this game.

Our OOC games are shaping up nicely for next season.

Might have to head up there. Are WV fans known for murdering opposing fans? I'm not looking for hostility, just a game.
Then you better not come. I live in WV and have never been to an event that something was not thrown on the court or people in fans face. Saw a 65 year old lady and husband get yelled at for simply walking to their seats. I am not going to the game.

Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
Love this game. Good road test in the middle of the season. With the VaTech addition yesterday and this game, I really like our schedule.

Yeah IMO this is the non con game I think we lose . There is always one when I look at the schedule . But I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last or 2nd to last time we lose next season . It is damn hard to go into WVU and win when they have a top 10 team and didn't they get the guy back who had declared? If not then erase what I just said.

Should be a great game! Exactly the type of game you want late in the season heading into the tourney.

Will WV be the best team on the schedule? Any comparable SEC teams? I haven't kept up with what the league will be losing/returning this upcoming season.

This might get swept under the rug with the Diallo news today, but this is big news.

That is going to be a TOUGH game.

No it's not. There's a better chance of it being a Kentucky hole game than it being tough.

Hugs usually has 1 good team every 3-4 years and last year was it.

Probably the biggest match up possible since we've played KU the past two seasons. It will be an extremely tough game and will be a rowdy environment. The one thing I do like about the challenge is that it's played during conference play. So that gives our guys at least some road experience, before heading into this game.

Our OOC games are shaping up nicely for next season.

This is not going to be that big of a game for Kentucky. Their gym only holds 14,000 and half of it will be filled with Kentucky fans.

That's some bullshit playing west Virginia in west Virginia. Its like playing in Indiana. Those rednecks drink at the game. Almost a 100% loss chance and a fight. Kansas wins everywhere but there.
I don't like it at all.

@WVU will be tough. Always a rowdy, tough crowd and WVU will be very good next year. Glad the game is in late January. If it was early in the season I would predict a loss.

At WV is as bad as it gets regarding fan treatment from all I've heard. Would our car survive such a trip there or would they destroy it in the parking lot, that would be my biggest fear.

Our record in this challenge is pretty bad at 1-3. In danger of 1-4 so a win would help in that regard too. Have yet to win the challenge when it was moved to January.

Champions classic 4-2
CBS sports classic 2-1
Big 12/ SEC challenge 1-3

This is not going to be that big of a game for Kentucky. Their gym only holds 14,000 and half of it will be filled with Kentucky fans.
I said biggest match up, not crowd size. Outside of KU, WVU is probably the best big 12 opponent. If uk fans take over 1/2 of their arena I'd be very surprised.

WVU had a home game last year as well. As for playing them next year, no thanks. This isn't a home and home. Unless it's Kansas, there's nobody in the Big 12 worthy of getting a home and home with UK. I simply asked why UK isn't hosting and WVU is?

Aaah no, maybe 150 UK fans if that. It will be redneck heaven in Morgantown !

I'm from WV, so I think I would know. You do realize that Kentucky gets better coverage (radio/tv) than WV in WV, right?

UK will have a large portion of the fanbase there. Not a lot of people from WV get to watch Kentucky play in person.

I'm from WV, so I think I would know. You do realize that Kentucky gets better coverage (radio/tv) than WV in WV, right?

UK will have a large portion of the fanbase there. Not a lot of people from WV get to watch Kentucky play in person.

[laughing] You've been saying this same garbage for years, but it's still just as wrong, and funny.

You lived in the Huntington area. You're a Marshall/UK fan. Every Marshall fan roots for another program. Usually UK or Cincy in basketball and Ohio State in football.

I grew up in southern WV. My dad worked in tv. 95% of the people in WV are die hard WVU fans, and UK gets no coverage in the state outside of that little pocket around Asheville.

But go on...

Should be a fun game, and a crazy atmosphere. UK will be nowhere near 50% of the crowd. I'm sure you'll have 3 or 4 thousand fans there though.

Last edited:
WVU had a home game last year as well. As for playing them next year, no thanks. This isn't a home and home. Unless it's Kansas, there's nobody in the Big 12 worthy of getting a home and home with UK. I simply asked why UK isn't hosting and WVU is?

well we really don't have a choice. The Big12/SEC challenge isn't through Cal/Huggins but the conferences.

And it's more than likely we play them again at Rupp next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT