ADVERTISEMENT

Best movie ever made

Ferris_Bueller%27s_Day_Off.jpg

Always enjoyed this classic.

Hard to define "best movie". They are so different. I think you could say Best Action, Best Comedy, Best Sci-Fi, ect... But how do you compare The Godfather to Rear Window to Star Wars to Caddyshack.
And then there are generational differences, and then others where a the whole of a series of movies is much better than a single one (The Harry Potter series, the Avenger's series, and I assume others), you can't compare a series to 1 movie.

But in general I don't watch movies multiple times, but ones I can't not watch if I see them on, include:
The Patriot
Gladiator
The Waterboy
My Cousin Vinnie

There were some popular movies that I did not like (i.e. Star Wars). And something like the Truman Show (I had forgotten about that one) was so inventive/creative, that it was strangely good.

There's a German movie, Aguirre the Wrath of God by Werner Herzog, that I sometimes think is as good as movies get. The script was dashed off -- the director wrote it on the bus his soccer team took between home and an away game. If I remember Herzog's commentary, someone -- maybe him -- got sick on the original script.

The movie site -- in the jungles of the Amazon -- was constantly hit by foul weather which destroyed a lot of their set. There were rafts that had to be completely remade because a flood carried them away, and remaking them became part of the movie. When a raft unintentionally became trapped in a whirlpool, the rescue became part of the movie. It was shot with a German and Hispanic cast so the dialogue was in English. Then, the original soundtrack was lost and they had to dub new dialogue in German. The lips of the actors don't match the sounds of the subtitles, but the subtitles are the original dialogue!

Then, in a completely off-the-wall mysterioso event, Herzog got bumped from a flight on a Peruvian jet only to have the jet he didn't take disintegrate in flight over the Amazon jungle.

The entire shoot was all done on a shoestring budget. They only had enough film for basically one take. There's a scene at the beginning where the cast are descending down the Andes. One of the characters is a grand lady and is carried down in a sedan chair. The director is one of the guys carrying the sedan chair and he's also holding the camera, filming everything while walking backwards down the mountain. The sedan chair starts to topple -- they're on a very narrow mountain path -- so the director reaches up and steadies the chair so it doesn't fall over the side. No 2nd take to get rid of the mysterious hand and arm. And the great thing is that it's as dramatic and compelling a story as the movies have ever told. The conquistadors' search for the legendary cities of gold.

Last edited:
There's a German movie, Aguirre the Wrath of God by Werner Herzog, that I sometimes think is as good as movies get. The script was dashed off -- the director wrote it on the bus his soccer team took between home and an away game. If I remember Herzog's commentary, someone -- maybe him -- got sick on the original script.

The movie site -- in the jungles of the Amazon -- was constantly hit by foul weather which destroyed a lot of their set. Their were rafts that had to be completely remade because a flood carried them away, and remaking them became part of the movie. When a raft unintentionally became trapped in a whirlpool, the rescue became part of the movie. It was shot with a German and Hispanic cast so the dialogue was in English. Then, the original soundtrack was lost and they had to dub new dialogue in German. The lips of the actors don't match the sounds of the subtitles, but the subtitles are the original dialogue!

Then, in a completely off-the-wall mysterioso event, Herzog got bumped from a flight on a Peruvian jet only to have the jet he didn't take disintegrate in flight over the Amazon jungle.

The entire shoot was all done on a shoestring budget. They only had enough film for basically one take. There's a scene at the beginning where the cast are descending down the Andes. One of the characters is a grand lady and is carried down in a sedan chair. The director is one of the guys carrying the sedan chair and he's also holding the camera, filming everything while walking backwards down the mountain. The sedan chair starts to topple -- they're on a very narrow mountain path -- so the director reaches up and steadies the chair so it doesn't fall over the side. No 2nd take to get rid of the mysterious hand and arm. And the great thing is that it's as dramatic and compelling a story as the movies have ever told. The conquistadors' search for the legendary cities of gold.

That's the film in which Kinski got mad at an extra and unloaded a gun on the guy, blowing off one of the guy's fingers. Herzog then supposedly threatened to shoot and kill Kinski and then himself if Kinski left the set. XD

Reactions: chroix and DreadLox
It may not be foe everybody but the one movie that I will stop and watch when I find it on TV is "Forrest Gump".

As far as comedies go, my favorite 2 are "Coming To America" and "Kingpin"

For me the answer is easy. It’s “Goodfellas”. Great story, great acting, great direction, great soundtrack, and loaded with quotable lines. It’s my favorite. and few others even come close.

Others that are nearly as good…

Pulp Fiction
Saving Private Ryan
Fargo
Unforgiven

The last 25 minutes of GoodFellas takes away from what was an otherwise perfect movie, but it's still near the top for me. Gun to my head, I probably go with The Departed or Memento.

It may not be foe everybody but the one movie that I will stop and watch when I find it on TV is "Forrest Gump".

As far as comedies go, my favorite 2 are "Coming To America" and "Kingpin"
Coming to America is probably the next most watched film on my list above.

Reactions: J_Dee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT