Kevin Spacey (I wish he wasn't a creep)
Paul Dano

Not this guy though:

• Haha
Reactions: ukfan1622
s-l1200.webp

William Shatner

He’svastly………………………. underrated
When he was alive, I would put the man in your profile picture James Garner as my favorite. Loved The Rockford Files. Still watch the show a few times week on Get TV. Have a lot of respect for him after his service in Korea, was a telephone man in Oklahoma like my Father and knowing his upbringing as a child to turn out to be successful as he was.

Unless I missed it, Liam Neeson hasn't been mentioned.

Best ensemble acting- The Deer Hunter.

Reactions: chroix
Some of my favorites are Costner, Edward Norton Jr., Matt Damon, and others but I think John Travolta has to be the most versatile if you think of all the different roles he’s played and the different types of characters

Not surprised a Duke fan would botch this..

I'll give you Edward Norton and maybe Costner (he's got some stinkers, too). But I think Matt Damon is maybe the worst actor of the "big names". I watched half of The Last Duel the other day and he was atrocious. Don't understand the appeal. And Travolta is just meh. If you want actually GOOD versatility, then I'd go with Gary Oldman, with Nic Cage for my "cheesy" pick.

Speaking of Oldman, he's on my list. Daniel Day Lewis of course, all the others people mention, such a Pacino, Leo, etc. A dark horse would be Sam Rockwell. Fantastic actor. Barry Keoghan is on the rise. A ton of great roles before Saltburn. Innisherin, the Green Knight, Sacred Deer, etc.

Reactions: Zissou87
Not surprised a Duke fan would botch this..

I'll give you Edward Norton and maybe Costner (he's got some stinkers, too). But I think Matt Damon is maybe the worst actor of the "big names". I watched half of The Last Duel the other day and he was atrocious. Don't understand the appeal. And Travolta is just meh. If you want actually GOOD versatility, then I'd go with Gary Oldman, with Nic Cage for my "cheesy" pick.

Speaking of Oldman, he's on my list. Daniel Day Lewis of course, all the others people mention, such a Pacino, Leo, etc. A dark horse would be Sam Rockwell. Fantastic actor. Barry Keoghan is on the rise. A ton of great roles before Saltburn. Innisherin, the Green Knight, Sacred Deer, etc.
Botched is your opinion. A lot of people would disagree with you on Travolta. You don’t think going from grease to Michael to broken arrow to pulp fiction are very different roles? Oh yeah, also I don’t care what you think. Enjoy the rest of the tournament

Botched is your opinion. A lot of people would disagree with you on Travolta. You don’t think going from grease to Michael to broken arrow to pulp fiction are very different roles? Oh yeah, also I don’t care what you think. Enjoy the rest of the tournament

"I don't care what you think"

.. he said, not in his own forum.

You sure seem to care what we think lmfao.

Also Pulp Fiction is the only decent movie put of those 4. I'm not saying he's not a varied actor.. but that he's not necessarily great at it. Along with some of those crap movies you mentioned, he also has arguably one of the worst movies of all time Battlefield Earth.

eNjOy tHe ToUrNaMenT! Lol

"I don't care what you think"

.. he said, not in his own forum.

You sure seem to care what we think lmfao.

Also Pulp Fiction is the only decent movie put of those 4. I'm not saying he's not a varied actor.. but that he's not necessarily great at it. Along with some of those crap movies you mentioned, he also has arguably one of the worst movies of all time Battlefield Earth.

eNjOy tHe ToUrNaMenT! Lol
oh I have been…..thoroughly!

Nicholas Cage.
I dont know if he's one of the best, but I guess he's one of the hardest working. He has movies coming out non stop...like direct to stream. Anytime you vet on hulu, Amazon, Netflix there's a new cage movie like every week

This whole thread and no one considered Pitt? Or matt Damon? Gary Oldman?

McConaughey...once he got past his chick flick stage is good. His True detective performance alone is something else.

I like Leo, Tom Hardy, mahershala Ali

So we're just going to act like Travolta's passion project, Battlefield Earth doesn't exist. That was his The Passion of the Christ.

Gary Oldman has played everything from Drexel in True Romance, the psycho cop in The Professional to Commissioner Gordon in Batman and other low key stuff. He’d be my pick. Daniel Day-Lewis very close. Ben Foster( Hell or High Water, 3:10 to Yuma) is underrated.

Gary Oldman has played everything from Drexel in True Romance, the psycho cop in The Professional to Commissioner Gordon in Batman and other low key stuff. He’d be my pick. Daniel Day-Lewis very close. Ben Foster( Hell or High Water, 3:10 to Yuma) is underrated.
Sid Vicious to Winston Churchill: dude has range like Steph Curry.

Reactions: Mash 2.4
If we're going based on what they've accomplished, it's a conversation between Robert De Niro, Denzel Washington and Daniel Day Lewis. Currently it would be Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy. Ones to keep an eye on for future dominance: Barry Keoghan and Andrew Garfield.

I dont know if he's one of the best, but I guess he's one of the hardest working. He has movies coming out non stop...like direct to stream. Anytime you vet on hulu, Amazon, Netflix there's a new cage movie like every week
Nicolas Cage owed the IRS millions and he was forced to take a bunch of crappy roles to pay it off. Not my favorite actor but good for him working off the debt.

Last edited:
Unless I missed it, Liam Neeson hasn't been mentioned.

Best ensemble acting- The Deer Hunter.
I am always amazed that Neeson can find time to call for gun control and condemn gun violence in between shooting his films that are full of killing and gun violence. 😂

Reactions: chroix
Not saying the best actor, but for sure underrated…go watch Billy Bob Thornton in Season 1 of Fargo. One of the great acting performances of all time. OP obviously with a great pick and a bunch of great names named already. Matthew McConaughey might be one that doesn’t get put with first tier, but man he’s good. Season 1 of True Detective anyone?
Good call on Billy Bob. Sling Blade alone would get him mentioned.

I was going to mention McConaughey as well. His roles have varied from Dallas Buyers Club to True Detective.

Surprised Johnny Depp hasn't gotten more credit in this thread, especially since he is from Kentucky.

Reactions: BigKari
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT