ADVERTISEMENT

Best Basketball player you played against

Originally posted by maverick1:

Originally posted by preacherfan:

Joe Mathis? My track coach at Reidland?? We had a terrific team of sprinters back in the day.
That's him! Coach Mathis was a heckuva ball player -- kind of a poor man's Wes Unseld, an undersized center who was a rebounding fool.

Bruce Austin wasn't one of those sprinters was he?
I never knew that about Coach Mathis. Great stuff even after all these year. He was a BIG man!

I am trying to recall Bruce. The name is vaguely familiar. Tommy Arant was one of the sprinters. Maybe I shouldn't say this but Coach once said that Tommy Arant was the fastest white sprinter in the state of Kentucky.

Originally posted by maverick1:

Joe Mathis? My track coach at Reidland?? We had a terrific team of sprinters back in the day.
That's him! Coach Mathis was a heckuva ball player -- kind of a poor man's Wes Unseld, an undersized center who was a rebounding fool.

Bruce Austin wasn't one of those sprinters was he?
I never knew that about Coach Mathis. Great stuff even after all these year. He was a BIG man!

I am trying to recall Bruce. The name is vaguely familiar. Tommy Arant was one of the sprinters. Maybe I shouldn't say this but Coach once said that Tommy Arant was the fastest white sprinter in the state of Kentucky.
Coach Mathis had forearms that would have made Popeye proud. I met his daughter at a party the Summer before my Senior year. She was really cute. I told her that she was really pretty to have such a big, ugly father as him. I told her to tell him I said that, but he never brought it up so I don't know if she did.

He had a couple of really good teams as head coach at Lowes before he ever came to Reidland. He took over as head coach the year after I graduated and had a really good record by historical Reidland standards. In terms of winning percentage, Mathis and Rudolph were two of the best coaches Reidland ever had. Gourley had a good record at St. Mary, prior to his Reidland tenure. He didn't have much to work with at Reidland, until Maverick1 and I came along of course. We were just a few points here and there from having a winning record Maverick's Senior year (my Junior year), and my Senior year.

Bruce was Class of '76 and probably the best football player in Reidland history.

Sorry to everyone else for hijacking this thread. I wish us Reidland guys could get together and talk about the good old days sometime. Mav, I keep meaning to look you up when I'm in town. Would love to get together with you, Marty and Neal sometime.

James Blackmon, Ed Davender - Seaton Center (outside). Blackmon literally jumped over some kid in the lane and dunked it - was amazing. Davender was the quickest player I've ever seen up close.

Chris Mills, Eric Manuel - Seaton Center (inside). Mills could do everything on the court. He just toyed with everyone he was so good. It was clear right away he was very special. Manuel was similar in that he could pass and shoot really well.

Richard Madison - High Street YMCA. I blocked his shot as he was going in for a layup.

He had a couple of really good teams as head coach at Lowes before he ever came to Reidland. He took over as head coach the year after I graduated and had a really good record by historical Reidland standards. In terms of winning percentage, Mathis and Rudolph were two of the best coaches Reidland ever had. Gourley had a good record at St. Mary, prior to his Reidland tenure. He didn't have much to work with at Reidland, until Maverick1 and I came along of course. We were just a few points here and there from having a winning record Maverick's Senior year (my Junior year), and my Senior year.
Okay, I will pull off one more hijack because I have to say that I had the biggest crush on Mrs Rudolph! Of course, I think just about every guy in my class did as well.
smile.r191677.gif
She did teach me to appreciate Edgar Allen Poe.

James Blackmon (Sr.): many, many moons ago, I played intramural b-ball at UK and guess who was on the opposing team?

Troy Smith. He was 6''8" 220 lbs. Our biggest player was 6'5" 180lbs. We held him to 42 points. Lol, that was a long night.

Originally posted by FtWorthCat:
Sorry to everyone else for hijacking this thread. I wish us Reidland guys could get together and talk about the good old days sometime. Mav, I keep meaning to look you up when I'm in town. Would love to get together with you, Marty and Neal sometime.
Dude I would love to get everybody together, and I know Marty and Neal would too -- lemme know the next time you're coming in and we'll do it.

Tom Payne in a pick up game in Woodland Park, summer 1969. At 7ft 1in he was a beast. He constantly would dunk so hard that he bent the goals which had the old the metal nets. He didn't care if you were 5ft tall of 7 ft tall and this was just a pick u game, you didn't bring anything close to the basket or it would be blocked to the swimming pool.

wildcatdonf, I played against 2 of the Lampley brothers, Charlie {Coached North Marshall}, Bob Lampley who died in a construction accident. The other brothers were Owen and Jimmy Lampley. I thought Bob was the best player, but all of them were good players.

Charlie and Bob played at Sharpe, Jimmy at N. Marshall.

I actually beat an NBA player one on one. No joke.

Does anybody remember Dan Laghi? He played at Marshall County in the 1990's. He played at Vanderbilt and was the 1999-2000 SEC player of the year and led the SEC in scoring. He was 6' 11", but could shoot 3's and really handle the ball well.

I beat him one on one. However, there is a catch.

I was at the local gym shooting around. He saw me shooting and came up to me and said, "Hey, do you want to play me one on one?" I said, "Sure."

He hung in there for a while, but I pulled away mid way through a game to 24 win by 4. He did pretty good, but I beat him pretty convincingly.

I forgot to mention......I was a 5' 11" ninth grader....he was a 5' 11" 5th grader!

That's not a typo....He was a 5'11" 5th grader.

Some guy in the Seaton Center in 1979-80. Only about 5'10" but could absolutely light it up from outside. Strong, quick and had the strongest arms I've seen on anyone that size. Don't know his name but they called him Foo. Was from somewhere in Eastern Kentucky.

Originally posted by knotonalog:
wildcatdonf, I played against 2 of the Lampley brothers, Charlie {Coached North Marshall}, Bob Lampley who died in a construction accident. The other brothers were Owen and Jimmy Lampley. I thought Bob was the best player, but all of them were good players.

Charlie and Bob played at Sharpe, Jimmy at N. Marshall.
All of these years I thought that Charlie Lampley was Jimmy's daddy.

Best thread on here in a long time, but...you guys are killing me. I graduated from Lone Oak in '66 and there is just no way that I don't know some of you guys...,or at least have some mutual acquaintances:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT