ADVERTISEMENT

Best Basketball player you played against

Greensboro Day, that's awesome man, it is a small world indeed!! Yeah Doneal was definately a baller man, he was a great guy, still consider him a friend to this day... We went to Statesville Chrisitan School, can't remember if we played Yall or not, but we probably did at some point, do you live in Greensboro? I moved to Lexington a little while back

Originally posted by BlobUK:
Corey Williams from Bourbon County.
LOL. Unbelievable athlete. Had health class and gym with Corey. In either our freshman or sophomore year he had me stand in the lane and basically jumped from the free throw line and dunked with two hand over me.

Rex and his buddy Greg Baughn against Randy Embry and me in a driveway game. Randy kept it close for awhile but the high schoolers wore us old guys down. (I checked Greg
3dgrin.r191677.gif
).

Howie Crittendon and Stan Key. Howie was our principal at CCHS but even in his 40s sock footed he was like guarding a deer.

A friend of mine played freshman Bball at UK. I went with him for some pickup games in Alumni Gym, for a couple of years, when some UK players called him.
Casey, Dinwiddie and Larry Steele weere the ones I remember the most. The one that surprised me the most was Dinwiddie, he was much more talented than I saw from the stands. He had a good career, but I still remember at that time how impressive he was then prior to much of career playing. Casey was great,and Steele was too. Steele was in accounting so we had several classes together...he was a very good dude and smart.
I was 6 3 and could dunk, but I hardly could ever get many clear shots against that talent, the speed and knowledge of where to be and what was happening was a real eye opener. I still had loads of fun and and I got lots of assists

I loved playing in old Alumni...lots of great memories there.

When I was stationed in Anchorage, Alaska as a young airman in the early nineties I ran into a guy named Trajdon Langdon. Back then Trajdon was a local high school star and would come on the air base to play pickup games. I ended up trying to guard him for a couple of games and he would just rise up and shoot right over me. And let me also say he was a big time trash talker. As some of you know Trajdon went on to be one of the better shooters in Duke basketball history.

Pat Riley-and he was incredible. Larry Conley, a number of times in high school, as I was from the Ashland area as he was(starter on Rupp's Runts too).

Originally posted by CatEye2010:

Rex and his buddy Greg Baughn against Randy Embry and me in a driveway game. Randy kept it close for awhile but the high schoolers wore us old guys down. (I checked Greg
3dgrin.r191677.gif
).
Randy, the OHS BB Coach? We may have played against alot of the same people.

Rex Chapman (5th grade in Frankfort, KY)

Allen Houston (Ballard)

Lionel Bacon (Ballard)

Frank Kornet (Lex Cath)

Byron Woodard (teammate in HS at Western Hills)

A few of us shot around with Frank Kornet at Memorial during UK camp in 1990.

He was really rude to us, which was only made us hang around him more, considering we were the ones paying to be at the camp and use the gym.

He kept saying things like, "look! there's coach Pitino. Why don't you guys run up to him?"

Originally posted by fla.cat:
A friend of mine played freshman Bball at UK. I went with him for some pickup games in Alumni Gym, for a couple of years, when some UK players called him.
Casey, Dinwiddie and Larry Steele weere the ones I remember the most. The one that surprised me the most was Dinwiddie, he was much more talented than I saw from the stands. He had a good career, but I still remember at that time how impressive he was then prior to much of career playing. Casey was great,and Steele was too. Steele was in accounting so we had several classes together...he was a very good dude and smart.
I was 6 3 and could dunk, but I hardly could ever get many clear shots against that talent, the speed and knowledge of where to be and what was happening was a real eye opener. I still had loads of fun and and I got lots of assists

I loved playing in old Alumni...lots of great memories there.
I played against Dinwiddie, and Stan Key, at old Alumni, too. Also played some with Ronnie Lyons. Butch Kauffman, who played for Western, played some there when he was a grad student.

Originally posted by UKUGA:
A few of us shot around with Frank Kornet at Memorial during UK camp in 1990.

He was really rude to us, which was only made us hang around him more, considering we were the ones paying to be at the camp and use the gym.

He kept saying things like, "look! there's coach Pitino. Why don't you guys run up to him?"
He was mouthy as hell to play against too. Especially when his team is up 34 in an 11th region tournament game.

Originally posted by wildcatdonf:
Jimmy Downey.
Don you'd be tickled to know that as of about 5 years ago Jim was still playing nearly every day and basically dominating the national Senior Games (unsure of exact title) in Salt Lake City, at only 5' 5"

Gonna go ahead and give props to my dad in this thread. He played at Middle Tennessee in the mid 60's and scored 35 against Western Kentucky his senior year with Clem Haskins and Greg Smith taking turns trying to guard him. Of course, he couldn't guard Haskins either, and in their next meeting Haskins set the OVC record
laugh.r191677.gif
(53 points, I think)

Charles Thomas
Rodney Woods
Nick Sanford

Nick Sanford was one of the best to ever come out of Eastern Kentucky from Cawood High School.. Ended up going to LMU in Tennessee and rumor has it he couldn't read or right a lick and that was th reason he never went to a D-1 school..

Funny story, I actually played against the Harrison twins during the 9-10 year old AAU national tournament. My team lost by 30 but I had 23 with one of the Harrison's guarding me. At the time I don't remember which one it would've been.

Rajon Rondo
Derrick Anderson

Secondarily, played against all kind of UK, UL, WKU, and other smaller school players in rec leagues over the years, Jerome Harmon, BJ Flynn, Brandon Bender, Adam Chiles, Remy Abell, Dominic Tilford, Brandon Stockton, a guy named Dave can't remember hi last name played at Miami OH I think was the leading scorer in the MAC one year guy could flat out fill it up, Wayne Turner, too many more to name. Needless to say Louisville and Southern Indiana have incredibly awesome and competitive men's leagues

maverick, Jimmy Downey may be the best 5-5 bb player to have been born. He was the best player ever for his size, and for you posters that have never heard of him, he could shoot a jump hook shot that he hit a very high percentage on. Seems like yesterday.

Originally posted by omegamandanny:
When I was stationed in Anchorage, Alaska as a young airman in the early nineties I ran into a guy named Trajdon Langdon. Back then Trajdon was a local high school star and would come on the air base to play pickup games. I ended up trying to guard him for a couple of games and he would just rise up and shoot right over me. And let me also say he was a big time trash talker. As some of you know Trajdon went on to be one of the better shooters in Duke basketball history.
The Alaskan assassin.

Biggest name I played against was Rondo.

The best player at the time I played against was Josh Carrier. The kid was one of the best shooters I ever played against. It's amazing how bad he was at UK. He was JJ Reddick in high school and I thought he would have been a similar player in college. Guess not.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by wildcatdonf:
maverick, Jimmy Downey may be the best 5-5 bb player to have been born. He was the best player ever for his size, and for you posters that have never heard of him, he could shoot a jump hook shot that he hit a very high percentage on. Seems like yesterday.
You're spot on Don. Jim came to visit my dad (they grew up together in Paducah) around 1990 or so and played some pick up games with my group one Sunday afternoon at the old Jetton gym. We had a really good group consisting of some ex-college and top ex-Paducah area high school players, and the games were always very competitive. I was 26, and in the best shape of my life, and the other guys ranged from early 20s to early 30s. Jim was 51-52ish at the time.

He ran circles around everybody. He prolly couldn't jump 6 inches but nobody could guard him. He wasn't fast, but he was shifty and quick and could dribble equally well with either hand. That jump hook you mentioned was un-guardable -- Jim shot it from his hip in a high arc up and over his head and just never missed, and his outside shot was off in the blink of an eye. Truly an amazing athlete, and a great guy too.

While in grad school at UK I played some outside-court, pickup games against Tom Payne and Jim Dinwiddie. Neither player put up much of an effort. Payne shot most of his shots from 15+ feet and rarely crashed the boards, so we beat his team pretty handily. Dinwiddie shot most of his jumpshots with his off-hand, so we kept the games fairly close. But at crunch time he got a little more serious and refused to lose. Once while being double teamed, he took the ball between his legs and behind his back for a lay-in.

BUT, by far the best outside shooter I ever played against was a guy named Raymond Lucas in the Ashland Oil Industrial League. He had "in-the-gym" range with about a 30+ inch vertical on his jumpshot, took most of his shots from NBA 3-point range, and rarely missed. The best defense against him was to deny him the ball. Today, at age 70, he can still fill it up if left unguarded, but does not have the vertical to get off his shot if guarded closely.

This post was edited on 3/10 4:10 PM by WeepNoMore

Originally posted by maverick1:
FtWorthCat.
Thanks Mav, but that is not correct. I was going to go with Eddie Norrris (Tilghman 1982), Keith Myers (Ballard Memorial 1982) or Barry Goheen (Marshall Co./Vandy). Goheen obviously accomplished more than the other two in the long run, but Norris and Myers were better at the time we played against them.

By the way, what year did your Dad graduate from Reidland? Was he on the 1962 team that went to the Regional Finals? They had a guy, according to the Kentucky High School Basketball Encyclopedia, named Larry Cartee (or something like that) who was all-state honorable mention for two straight years. The only two District titles Reidland ever won were in 1940 and 1962.

This post was edited on 3/10 4:29 PM by FtWorthCat

Originally posted by jrm693:
Howie Crittendon and Stan Key. Howie was our principal at CCHS but even in his 40s sock footed he was like guarding a deer.
I just finished reading a book about Crittenden's 1952 Cuba team that won the State. It's called "The Graves County Boys", here is a link if you're interested in reading it. It's actually a pretty good read.

This post was edited on 3/10 5:22 PM by FtWorthCat

This post was edited on 3/10 5:27 PM by FtWorthCat

1952 Cuba Cubs

Originally posted by FtWorthCat:

Originally posted by maverick1:
FtWorthCat.
Thanks Mav, but that is not correct. I was going to go with Eddie Norrris (Tilghman 1982), Keith Myers (Ballard Memorial 1982) or Barry Goheen (Marshall Co./Vandy). Goheen obviously accomplished more than the other two in the long run, but Norris and Myers were better at the time we played against them.

By the way, what year did your Dad graduate from Reidland? Was he on the 1962 team that went to the Regional Finals? They had a guy, according to the Kentucky High School Basketball Encyclopedia, named Larry Cartee (or something like that) who was all-state honorable mention for two straight years. The only two District titles Reidland ever won were in 1940 and 1962.

This post was edited on 3/10 4:29 PM by FtWorthCat
Dude we are Greyhound brothers so I sure ain't gonna shill for any Tilghman (no offense Donfather
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Dad graduated in '57 and only played against Cartee in a couple of pick-up games, but said he was a good ball-player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT