ADVERTISEMENT

Best Basketball player you played against

I was very fortunate to play against Joe Fulks and Adrain Smith. I played against Joe after his retirement from NBA. He was probably in his late forty's He won NBA scoring title one year and was one of the first players to use jump shot.. In the one game I played against Adrain Smith.everyone on team got a shot at guarding him and we pretty much locked him down allowing him only 60 points. lol
smile.r191677.gif

O.J. Mayo. I played against a bunch of D1 players but only one pro and he was in middle school when we were seniors.

Believe it or not, I know everyone judges Brandon Stockton on his college career but that little dude rocked my team for 41 points.

maverick, you are probably too young to remember M.K. Turk from Carlisle County? He was a real good outside shot. He may have played for Southern Mississippi in college.

Who were the guys from North Marshall that won the state in 1959? Jimmy Lampley, Pat Doyle, Spicer, ????? They played with their jerseys not tucked in their shorts.

Butch Beard. In an Army league. I shut him down. He only scored 62 on me. I knew I had the right plan from the start at the rate he was scoring. By the 2nd half his shooting arm was worn out. Even he told me he couldnt shoot much more as he was exhausted. By the way. One great guy, just ended up at the wrong school.

Originally posted by wildcatdonf:
maverick, you are probably too young to remember M.K. Turk from Carlisle County? He was a real good outside shot. He may have played for Southern Mississippi in college.

Who were the guys from North Marshall that won the state in 1959? Jimmy Lampley, Pat Doyle, Spicer, ????? They played with their jerseys not tucked in their shorts.
I'm distantly related to the Lampley's. The older brother played at Sharpe and coached the younger brother in '59, correct? My grandparents and them were related somehow. Benny Goheen (Barry's Dad) wrote a pretty good book about the 1959 North Marshall team called "With Shirttails Flying". Here is a link, if you're interested in reading it.

This post was edited on 3/10 5:20 PM by FtWorthCat

This post was edited on 3/10 5:23 PM by FtWorthCat

This post was edited on 3/10 5:28 PM by FtWorthCat

1959 North Marshall

I don't remember Turk. Other guys off that North Marshall team were Benny Goheen (Barry's dad), R M Spiceland, Dolph Larimer, Gary Seay (he's a current patient of mine) off the top of my head. I know Benny went on to play at Murray when dad was at Middle but I'm unsure how many of the others played college ball.

I've got an autographed copy of Benny's book, With Shirttails Flying, that chronicled the season. It's really good.

91Hph53oySL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks, Ft. Worth & mav. That was a hellova team. I thought that it was the daddy of Lampley that coached that team. I never knew that it was actually JL's brother. One of them died last year I believe.

Originally posted by maverick1:

I don't remember Turk. Other guys off that North Marshall team were Benny Goheen (Barry's dad), R M Spiceland, Dolph Larimer, Gary Seay (he's a current patient of mine) off the top of my head. I know Benny went on to play at Murray when dad was at Middle but I'm unsure how many of the others played college ball.

I've got an autographed copy of Benny's book, With Shirttails Flying, that chronicled the season. It's really good.

ec
That's funny we've both read that book. Did you pick up on the fact that Joe Mathis of South Marshall was one of the best players in the area that year? Did you know that the guy we called "The Duke" was a two time honorable mention all-state player at Heath? Learned that from the KY HS BB Encyclopedia.

KHSBB Encyclopedia

Thanks, Ft. Worth & mav. That was a hellova team. I thought that it was the daddy of Lampley that coached that team. I never knew that it was actually JL's brother. One of them died last year I believe.
I could be wrong about that one Don. It's been a few years since I read that book. My Dad was a 1957 Tilghman grad, what year did you graduate?

Originally posted by FtWorthCat:

Did you pick up on the fact that Joe Mathis of South Marshall was one of the best players in the area that year? Did you know that the guy we called "The Duke" was a two time honorable mention all-state player at Heath? Learned that from the KY HS BB Encyclopedia.
I remember I did at the time, but had forgotten it. Glad you reminded me. Mr. Mathis was a heckuva good guy.

Haha, I knew the Duke of Darkness was a good ball player but didn't know he was H.M. all-state. He was also a good baseball player, cannon for an arm. It's funny how when you're a kid you don't realize at the time that your teachers and coaches were/could have been ballers too. I still have not-so-fond memories of Coach Gourley putting the screws to me on defense during some of our practices
laugh.r191677.gif
-- even at 40 years old he was quicker than I ever thought about being

Reggie Hanson while he was at Pulaski. Frank Kornet while he was at Lex. catholic. Todd Bearup dunked on me while he was at Laurel we won that game. I played in a pick up game against Rob Lock while he was at UK. That was pretty cool.

Did you pick up on the fact that Joe Mathis of South Marshall was one of the best players in the area that year? Did you know that the guy we called "The Duke" was a two time honorable mention all-state player at Heath? Learned that from the KY HS BB Encyclopedia.
I remember I did at the time, but had forgotten it. Glad you reminded me. Mr. Mathis was a heckuva good guy.

Haha, I knew the Duke of Darkness was a good ball player but didn't know he was H.M. all-state. He was also a good baseball player, cannon for an arm. It's funny how when you're a kid you don't realize at the time that your teachers and coaches were/could have been ballers too. I still have not-so-fond memories of Coach Gourley putting the screws to me on defense during some of our practices
laugh.r191677.gif
Did your Dad play with Chuck Cadwell at all? My Mom '59 Reidland (maybe '60) said he was Reidland's best player when she was in school. Of course his daughter Rechelle Turner (Tonya's sis) is the highly successful girls coach at Murray High.

Pickup game at Seaton Center w/ Jr Braddy on my team and Todd Svoboda on the other team.
Pickup game at WKU vs Fred Tisdale.

Donta Smith from Oldham County, Coric Riggs for Fairdale (he actually had 51 against us, we had no business playing Fairdale at that point), kid named Butch Joiner for East Jessamine. I think that's about it. Smith went on to get drafted by the Hawks, skipping a UL commitment. He actually jumped OVER a dude in our game against them. Witnessed it up close.

David Justice

Of MLB fame.

He once spiked into the stands what I thought was a wide open jumper.

Melvin Turpin - Charles Hurt - Lee Raker - Jeff Lamp - Vince Taylor and Monty Towe when he was about 50 and I was 35 or so... What an a$$ Monty Towe was!

First to last goes this way.
1. Clarence "Bevo" Francis
2. Mike Barrett
3. David Thompson
4. Couple of big guys I don't remember the names of.
5. Mike Scott

Did your Dad play with Chuck Cassell at all? My Mom '59 Reidland (maybe '60) said he was Reidland's best player when she was in school. Of course his daughter Rechelle Turner (Tonya's sis) is the highly successful girls coach at Murray High.
That's a very nice thing for your mom to say, tell her I appreciate it. And yes, Chuckie and Dad were best friends since about third grade.

laugh.r191677.gif
Joe Mathis? My track coach at Reidland?? We had a terrific team of sprinters back in the day.

Well, some of y'all obviously played college ball, and some of y'all obviously had the opportunity to play in pick-up games with some great players. I didn't have either of those opportunities. I only played high school basketball (as a 6'1" center between two forwards that were 6'5" and 6'3", respectively), and I never lived anyplace close to that quality of pick-up games. So I'll just have to tell y'all about four guys who were awfully good high school players. You may or may not recognize the names.

1. Rich Travis. Rich was in the NCAA Top 10 scorers in the nation when he was a junior and again when he was a senior at Oklahoma City University, 1967-69. Averaged 25+ ppg both years. I played against Rich when he played for Bowling Green High Street H.S. when we were juniors and when we were seniors. He beat us in the District Finals in '64 on a prayer from 35 feet at the buzzer. Beat us like a tom-tom in the District Tournament the next year - no contest.
2. Jim McDaniels. I assume everybody knows who McDaniels is. I played against him when he was a freshman at Scottsville High School, before he transferred to Allen County High.
3. Norman Weaver. Norm was a 6'4" senior center for Allen County when I played against him. They beat us at Allen County in the regular season, and they beat us in the Regional Finals at Diddle Arena in '64. Both games were reasonably close. We played a box-and-chaser and I chased Norman (obviously, to little effect) in both games. Allen County went to the semi-finals of the KHSAA State Tournament that year. Norm made the All-State Tournament team and played in the Kentucky-Indiana All-Star game. Norm became the Superintendent of Schools in Allen County.
4. Richard Hendrick. Rich was a 6'1" guard and a High School All-American at Bristow High School in Warren County. Rich averaged 44.0 ppg as a junior and 43.0 ppg as a senior (or maybe vice versa). We beat Bristow 98-97 (with no overtime) in the District Tournament in '64. We played a triangle zone with a double-team man-to-man chaser on Richard, and we held him to 44 points ! Richard had a nice college career at WKU, 1967-69.

Originally posted by preacherfan:

Joe Mathis? My track coach at Reidland?? We had a terrific team of sprinters back in the day.
That's him! Coach Mathis was a heckuva ball player -- kind of a poor man's Wes Unseld, an undersized center who was a rebounding fool.

Bruce Austin wasn't one of those sprinters was he?

I've played against several high school players who went on to play division I ball..... One of them played at Adair Co. He could jump out of the gym and he wasn't tall. He could drop step under the basket and dunk.

Joe Ford of Mayfield, who went on to be part of Vanderbilts F Troop in early 70s, and Stan Key of Calloway County who played for the Cats!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT