ADVERTISEMENT

benefit to Fland and Wagner announcements today

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
This shows top portal guards there definitely is room for someone (at least 1, probably 2), even expecting to start, even if Reed returned.

Knowing Reed's decision will help even more. But that he's not announced yet must mean there's a chance, and if there's a chance then....

Pope made it clear yesterday that the NBA first mentality will be erased.
And in order to be #1 in made three pointers, we need people that can shoot. DJ would not at all fit into Pope's offense.

What's critical to me to return are Z and the long-shot Reed. And keeping Perry committed. You have those three and then a couple of Pope's best BYU players, then go to the portal for some shooters, and we're looking good for Pope's first year.

This shows top portal guards there definitely is room for someone (at least 1, probably 2), even expecting to start, even if Reed returned.

Knowing Reed's decision will help even more. But that he's not announced yet must mean there's a chance, and if there's a chance then....
If he stays he will be the last one to announce. They let these out slowly so each guy can get a little individual attention. If Reed stays, no one cares what the other guys are doing.

Fland can play here.

I’m thankful DJ chose to play a season at Kentucky and I have no negative feelings towards him. That said, he isn’t a fit for what the program is trying to do moving forward unless he is willing to take a backseat and develop over another year or 2 (don’t that’s a reality he wants) bc he can’t play in this system until he can shoot on the move off screens, quick release, and hit 33+%

Would love love love to have Wagner back - he is tenacious on defense and has time to work on his shooting in the offseason.

Reed Sheppard is probably gone to the NBA, however. His draft prospects are too great to come back and I just can’t see a person passing on that much money. I wish him well.

I hope Pope can get as many of the team as possible to stay and recruits to stay as well. This is a tall order, for sure, as Calipari was their original coach. Hoping that he can sell them on his style of play and motivate them to work towards a NC. Will not be surprised to see them explore other options but, surely the NIL money is now there…

Pope made it clear yesterday that the NBA first mentality will be erased.

I know that I want guys that are NBA level caliber players. We are a blue blood program and should be pursuing great players each year.

I know that I want guys that are NBA level caliber players. We are a blue blood program and should be pursuing great players each year.
I'm pretty sure I saw a clip where he said UK will have a mix of NBA players who are just there a year or two, AND players who need longer to fully develop and are there for 4 years.

Reactions: Girthang
The higher the ranking the more NBA focused the player. Those types don't tend to wIn championships. Pope will pursue the best that fit his system.

He has athleticism and skills just needs some actual coaching. Maybe he doesn’t hit 35% from 3 but he definitely has talent, don’t undersell him from taking more than a year. Before Cal it wasn’t normal for most to be one and done.

Reactions: CatsDomain
Kentucky will be shooting more 3's than 2's with this offense.

If Wagner comes back, he'll really need to put in the work over the summer.

Wagner was a huge disappointment last year. Problem is he wasn’t a good enough shooter nor a good enough finisher for the amount of shots he took. Reed should have taken a lot more of his minutes with Wagner backing him up.

Reactions: CatsDomain
Wagner was a huge disappointment last year. Problem is he wasn’t a good enough shooter nor a good enough finisher for the amount of shots he took. Reed should have taken a lot more of his minutes with Wagner backing him up.
Reed played 32-36 mpg the last 2/3 of the season. He couldn't have played many more minutes without tiring out and becoming less effective. And Rob limited his own minutes with silly fouls, often out of frustration after a TO.

Reactions: UK CAT in FL

I'd venture to say Pope already know's Reeds decision. Him and Jeff are really good friends. Either way, they may just not want it out yet, but rest assured he probably knows.

Reactions: catben

Sadly part of me feels like he's waiting for Pope to get some momentum before he announces heading to the draft. He cares about the program and probably wants to let Pope get some roster together before announcing he's gone too.

Crazy just think about a year ago the thought of only having Reed 1 year. He was so much better than I expected and I expected him to be good. You can't turn down top 10 in the draft.

Reactions: sdryan2
Zero benefit to losing two 5 star point guards. .....and there is no other 5 star point guards available to replace them.
Its bad. The transfer point guards don't set the world on fire either.

Zero benefit to losing two 5 star point guards. .....and there is no other 5 star point guards available to replace them.
Its bad. The transfer point guards don't set the world on fire either.
I wasn’t saying it’s good to lose them 🤦🏻‍♂️, I was saying if losing them it’s best to do so immediately, not dragging out.

Sadly part of me feels like he's waiting for Pope to get some momentum before he announces heading to the draft. He cares about the program and probably wants to let Pope get some roster together before announcing he's gone too.

Crazy just think about a year ago the thought of only having Reed 1 year. He was so much better than I expected and I expected him to be good. You can't turn down top 10 in the draft.
If he is leaving, and wants to help Pope get some momentum on the roster, wouldn’t it make more sense to go ahead and announce so that guys in the portal know that spot is opening up?

Cal told him to wait until last.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT