ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Roberts on Maxey Wednesday Announcement

Interesting the Evans thanks he stays 19 "for now". Could change in the summer. I'm wondering if this has to do with him being able to play in some of the AAU events. NBA scouts & not just college coaches watch those events. Either that or he doesn't know yet & is torn. Or genuinely was to stay 19

Reactions: AllBlueEverything
The consensus the last couple of days is that he will pick UK and stay in 19 which makes a ton of sense. We are loaded at guard with hagans, Green,Baker, herro and Quickley next season. Let those guys shine and when Hagans and probably Quickley go pro Maxey can step in with maybe another guard we sign like Lecque and take their places .

The consensus the last couple of days is that he will pick UK and stay in 19 which makes a ton of sense. We are loaded at guard with hagans, Green,Baker, herro and Quickley next season. Let those guys shine and when Hagans and probably Quickley go pro Maxey can step in with maybe another guard we sign like Lecque and take their places .

It would be strange for a top-flight player to announce this early if he isn’t reclassifying, but I guess it’s also possible that some guys just know what they want.

It would be strange for a top-flight player to announce this early if he isn’t reclassifying, but I guess it’s also possible that some guys just know what they want.
I guess announcing early for coming in 2019 depends on how confident you are that you'll get playing time regardless of who returns from the previous year's team.

Last edited:

Has Hagans officially reclassified yet?

Reactions: ubtrapper
I guess announcing early for coming in 2019 depends on how confident you are that you'll get playing time regardless of who returns from the previous year's team.
Him and Jeffries both. It has its ups & downs. The downside is it takes some of the excitement out of 2019 recruiting.

The UPSIDE is, it takes some of the excitement out of 2019 recruiting.

Would love to have him for 2019. Kentucky already locks up two top20 5* players for Fall of 2019. That's big for other recruits, takes some pressure off of Cal and begins to set us up nicely for 2019.

Also, if we land Maxey and Hagans reclassifies, that means out of the top25 players on ESPN, only two have committed... and both to Kentucky. No other school has a top25 guy yet. :cool2:

I can't say this enough.. it's no coincidence that the FBI/NCAA probes/investigation hits.. that Duke's recruiting comes to a screeching halt and swaggy Cal comes back.

I wouldn't worry about PT for either of these guys.. It's clear what JV, PJ and Gabriel want.. they just can't get it after one year. All three will almost for sure be gone after this coming season, Richards maybe, too. Don't see us keeping all three of these guards either (Green, IQ and Hagans).

Make no mistake, we will have a pretty big exodus next year..

Reactions: docholiday51
Would love to have him for 2019. Kentucky already locks up two top20 5* players for Fall of 2019. That's big for other recruits, takes some pressure off of Cal and begins to set us up nicely for 2019.

Also, if we land Maxey and Hagans reclassifies, that means out of the top25 players on ESPN, only two have committed... and both to Kentucky. No other school has a top25 guy yet. :cool2:

I can't say this enough.. it's no coincidence that the FBI/NCAA probes/investigation hits.. that Duke's recruiting comes to a screeching halt and swaggy Cal comes back.

Hmmm...

He won't turn 18 until Nov., so I would think he'll stay in the 19 class. He could come in and be the star of the team with another year of maturity. This kid is going to be a superstar.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
MKG commited early if i recall. Towns did too but he reclassed. Not sure if whom else has been a more than a year and half out commit?

MKG commited early if i recall. Towns did too but he reclassed. Not sure if whom else has been a more than a year and half out commit?

There's always a few.. but I don't recall a year where we got two 5*'s this early.. and who knows with Wiseman, Carey, etc.. We might have our class lined up very well in advanced. And what's great about that, Cal can start laying ground work in 2020... which was something Coach K was beating him on (getting out early).

Didn't Cal reference that they weren't going to be as transparent as usual regarding recruiting? Something in a Tweet? Or am I making too much out of nothing/and it wasn't a big deal?

Like that people are confused and trying to figure out what UK is doing on the recruiting trail, and it's been very advantageous so far with finishing '18, building '19 and '20 classes.

I would like to see Maxey for 2018. But, we seem to already have a five guard rotation (which is perfect IMO), providing that Hagans reclassifies. I certainly believe he will, due to his age.

This is staged to pull Wiseman in and others they will go after for the 19 class. Wiseman has stated he wants to play with Maxey next year above anyone else in the class. This is a early shot at Memphis and Penny lol.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Maxey 2018 hell yes. We going to be loaded. Yeah big blue. Most of all Cal everyone that said on RR & HOB that you had lost your touch can kiss your @ss. Love it . Cal forever you Debby Downers never.

I guess I’d rather have him now. What if they change the rules and it ends up he can go right to the league.

People keep saying we are loaded in the backcourt and keep listing off the same players and never do they list keldon johnson a prototypical 2/3, johnson is also a part of this loaded backcourt, he's not a downlow player, he'll play the 3 for us much like Herro will in 3 guard lineups. We got 6 players for those 3 positions before maxey.

People keep saying we are loaded in the backcourt and keep listing off the same players and never do they list keldon johnson a prototypical 2/3, johnson is also a part of this loaded backcourt, he's not a downlow player, he'll play the 3 for us much like Herro will in 3 guard lineups. We got 6 players for those 3 positions before maxey.

You’re exactly right, but I still think people are making way too much out of our “overloaded” guard situation.

6 for 3 spots. Let’s say one isn’t quite ready for big minutes (Herro, Baker?), and maybe the rest take turns being injured/banged up. All the sudden you’re talking about 4 for 3 spots with maybe another guy playing spot minutes.

So even if Maxey comes, I bet it’s a “problem” that will work itself out, and one we will be glad to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
Johnson is a true SF but he more of a college big then he would ever be a guard . Not that he is a college big either but he won't play 1 second of guard at UK while he will play some PF in some line ups is my point. So there is no need to mention Johnson when talking about the guard situation. There will be times when the line up on the floor is Green/hagans/herro/johnson/EJ or something similar is all I am saying .

Reactions: MWes11
Johnson is a true SF but he more of a college big then he would ever be a guard . Not that he is a college big either but he won't play 1 second of guard at UK while he will play some PF in some line ups is my point. So there is no need to mention Johnson when talking about the guard situation. There will be times when the line up on the floor is Green/hagans/herro/johnson/EJ or something similar is all I am saying .

Johnson is a wing. That can be anything from 2 up through 4 depending on the lineups being run out and how they’re used.

ADVERTISEMENT