ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Roberts: Jerry Meyer explains why he thinks Wiseman stays home and plays for Memphis

If he decides that, more power to him.... Not sure why some of these players do not increase there odds by playing for Cal. Yeah others do make it to the league but darn Cal gets them there quicker, in better shape to last, and definitely for much more dough over their career...

If he does pick UM, I don't ever want to hear that UK leads or UK lock ever again. It's getting old.
I was called many names for merely suggesting Wiseman would consider Memphis. A lot of people don't like to look at reality here

If he'd rather play for a coach who hasn't been more than a spectator at a college game since he was in college instead of a coach who has groomed DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony Towns for the exact job he covets, then you have to question his seriousness and devotion to his craft.

I trust in the end basic common sense prevails.

Who is saying he's a UK lock?

It seems that has been presumed for a while now. Yeah the Penny talk started to throw kinks in that but who knows... I want him as a Cat but ignorance is rampant....Cal has too much cred in the BILLION dollar realm to be easily overlooked IF you have the least bit of sense...

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
Well, when his high school coach and AAU coach became the coach of school where is now living that changed things a little. I don't think even 6 months ago anybody thought Tubby would be fired. Can't really blame Cal if we lose him, honestly just terrible timing!

Well said! This would have nothing to do with Cal and everything to do with just plain unlucky circumstances.

There's no doubt the young man will feel incredibly pressured to attend UM. As others have stated, hopefully he'll use common sense and choose UK and Cal

Cal is PROVEN, Penny is really more like a really good friend or a big brother with whom he's close. Penny is going to tell him, " Hey, you're going to be a lottery pick regardless, you don't need Kentucky".

Cal only need point to all the big men he's helped groom for the NBA, and how he's helped them move up in the draft. Bottom line: come to Kentucky, improve your game and make MORE $$$ when you jump to the league.

Also, at UM he'll be adored by a city; at UK he'll be adored by a HUGE worldwide fan base.

Come on down Mr. Wiseman and join the legendary BIG BLUUUUUUUE NATION!!!!!!

If he'd rather play for a coach who hasn't been more than a spectator at a college game since he was in college instead of a coach who has groomed DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony Towns for the exact job he covets, then you have to question his seriousness and devotion to his craft.

I trust in the end basic common sense prevails.

Utter nonsense. I hope the kid comes to UK, but if he doesn't it will not be because he's not devoted. There are lots of avenues to the league.

He’s going pro regardless, doesn’t need Cal to get him there. Ultimately it will come down to where he and Mom feel most comfortable.

Reactions: RiverView31
Don't believe everything you read on a biased message board.
It's not only the message boards. Every "insider" and expert and blogger I've read about over on HOB has also been saying UK lock for a long time now. Only since Penny has any doubt begun to sneak in.

If he does pick UM, I don't ever want to hear that UK leads or UK lock ever again. It's getting old.

Actually Silents, it's already been old for a couple of years. Barrett, Bamba, Tre Young, and Zion were all predicted or said to be leaning UK. It's not Cal talking it publicly but Matt Jones and others on this board have insinuated many positive reports that just turned out to be fake news. Maybe things change at the last moment or maybe people just write things just to get hits. I don't know but I will believe Wisman comes to UK when I see him with the UK Hat staying upon his head.

Reactions: mrbud
Well said! This would have nothing to do with Cal and everything to do with just plain unlucky circumstances.
These guys want to go play with their friends as well, I am sure Lawson will go to Memphis and Lomax will be the PG there as well. It is going to be an uphill battle for sure. I guess the one thing in our favor is Cal has obviously proven he can get guys to be the Number 1 overall pick. The odds are also very strong that UK will have a much better team than Memphis so that should factor in as well.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Will be interesting to see what happens if Memphis struggles this coming season. Does Penny spin it, saying Wiseman is the missing piece for a championship team? Or does Wiseman make the right decision and come to UK even though he likes the idea of playing for Penny. Either way, the kid is a top 5 pick in the 2020 draft. The question is, does he care about winning at the college level before he goes pro.

He’s going pro regardless, doesn’t need Cal to get him there. Ultimately it will come down to where he and Mom feel most comfortable.

Memphis has a chance if we operate under one of two assumptions:

1. That Wiseman is naïve and thinks he can win at Memphis.
or...
2. That Wiseman is not naïve about winning, but simply doesn't care about winning at a high level.

I tend to think that Wiseman does care about winning, and that he is also at the same time not naïve to the prospects of what Memphis actually offers along those lines.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Memphis struggles this coming season. Does Penny spin it, saying Wiseman is the missing piece for a championship team? Or does Wiseman make the right decision and come to UK even though he likes the idea of playing for Penny. Either way, the kid is a top 5 pick in the 2020 draft. The question is, does he care about winning at the college level before he goes pro.

If Penny would believe that Even with Wiseman he would have a championship team, he would be delusional. Experience in the coaching ranks matters. It will take more than freshmen talent for Penny to ever see a final four.

I think Cal is selling Carey and Wiseman on playing together as well. I have no idea if these guys are friends or not, but the idea of them playing together and winning a championship could be a factor as well. Obviously Carey is not going to Memphis and Wiseman is not going to Duke so the only package deal option is UK!

Wisemans brand would be much bigger at UK than Memohis. Little TV exposure there especially nationally. The U.K. Brand cannot be discounted. I think the pressure will be too much for Wiseman and family to overcome from the Memphis media and fan base. Guilt is an ugly motivator but it's often effective. It would be easier for him to turn down Ky than the shaming masses of Memphis. Ask Malik Monk about the gracious Way he was treated by the Ozarkians after announcing for Ky.

Reactions: jace2012
It's all Jerry Meyer swooning over hype about a down trodden program that has been "rejuvenated" by a former player who is a local legend. He gives his opinions, and now it's all doom and gloom. Meyer has lived in TN a long time and this sounded like a fanboy giving his personal opinions. Memphis is a rebuilding/unproven program until Penny or someone else can prove differently and if he does, then we can shower the praise and talk of his greatness. Until then, he's a former player who got a job to put butts in seats and has become a HOF Coach because he won in HS. Guess that should make Mike Bibby happy since Arizona should be open soon and he's knocking it out of park as a HS Coach.

As for Trae Young, he committed to Cal on the in-home. Problem was Cal wanted him to go public and he wanted to wait......and that was 2nd time UK had advised him to do something and he chose to do something different. UK staff preferred he went to a Prep School his SR year and he chose to stay in Norman. They tired of him waiting and made the statement about "first one to commit" regarding he/Quade Green--who was seen more preferred by some of the players (Diallo, Vanderbilt, Knox in particular) and was tight with Mo Bamba, which UK was in top position to land until things got done financially to land him at Texas. Trae's father was upset, Trae was frustrated they didn't wait and Mom was excited--so much of a pain in ass, she likely thinks she'll strong arm NBA teams to keep him home at OKC.

Reactions: Ghettobird and BBUK
That would be an huge gamble. I think he comes to UK. Besides, Memphis is not his true hometown as we all know.

One things for sure, if Wiseman does go to Memphis the pressure will be on Penny Hardaway to win right away. Success doesn't always come easy for former star players coaching at their alma mater, just ask Clyde Drexler and Chris Mullen.

I think he'll probably end up in Memphis and end up close to Mo Bamba as a college career goes. He'll end up costing himself millions too.

You are one of the homers pal, choke on it !
I never said one word about any of those players coming to UK. I did say Green would return though. So you can stick that in your crack pipe and smoke it. It’s sad that pathetic individuals such as yourself can’t take internet rumors with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT