ADVERTISEMENT

Before the streak

Jun 19, 2010
The UK/Florida series was 17-20. Could you imagine playing them near .500 again going forward?!! (we"lll never even up the all-time series I know). Geez, just beating them once every three games would be amazing! Anyway, first things first - JUST WIN SATURDAY!!

The UK/Florida series was 17-20. Could you imagine playing them near .500 again going forward?!! (we"lll never even up the all-time series I know). Geez, just beating them once every three games would be amazing! Anyway, first things first - JUST WIN SATURDAY!!

I posted this in another thread. Think about this. In 1978 we had a 16-12 all time series lead over Florida. Its crazy and just mind boggling how things have gone in this game over the last 39 years. However, I think we are on the right track to turning this thing around. Lets get it done Saturday night! Go Cats!

I posted this in another thread. Think about this. In 1978 we had a 16-12 all time series lead over Florida. Its crazy and just mind boggling how things have gone in this game over the last 39 years. However, I think we are on the right track to turning this thing around. Lets get it done Saturday night! Go Cats!
Remember it well. What happened over the years was a population relocation to the south. People talk about how we played interesting schedules during the Curci days. They're right, but back then, the SEC wasn't nearly as formidable as it is today..i.e. Florida.

It is a combination of several things. - Prior to 1967 UK led the series 13-4. Post Integration (1967) UF leads the series 45-5. Between 1967 and 1986 UF led the series 15-5. We weren't really weren't handling them very well in the 20 years prior to the streak. In 1967 FL had a population of 6.24M and KY had a population of 3.17M. In 2016 FL had a population of 20.61M and KY had a population of 4.44M. A lot of the problem is population and demographics.

It is a combination of several things. - Prior to 1967 UK led the series 13-4. Post Integration (1967) UF leads the series 45-5. Between 1967 and 1986 UF led the series 15-5. We weren't really weren't handling them very well in the 20 years prior to the streak. In 1967 FL had a population of 6.24M and KY had a population of 3.17M. In 2016 FL had a population of 20.61M and KY had a population of 4.44M. A lot of the problem is population and demographics.
I'm certainly not Nostradamus, but in my previous profession, we had regular updates by the people that took, tabulated and interpreted census data. In the early to mid 90's, you could see
how southern states population was going to boom. A fellow Football fan and I were talking about how Football would be impacted. We both agreed there would likely be schools in Florida that we'd never heard of springing up and having competitive Football teams....simply because of access to athletes. It's come true.

Watched UK/Fla football games since 1953, since that 1986 game,Florida 's program went straight up and UK's went into the dumpster fire ,its been for most of the last 60 years,with a few exceptions. Only now, with Stoops and co., raising the level of recruiting on a consistent basis, will we be able to be more competitive with teams like Florida, and at least beat them as often as Vandy or Miss.st.,or other mid tier SEC teams. If we want to be more successful in football,than we better be sure all facets of support ,stay committed to having a competitive football program, or else, we'll be left behind again which will place the whole athletic program at risk.

I guess it was a "population shift" that led to the UT streak, too? :rolleyes:

Cmon, we know what it was. Abuse and neglect

ADVERTISEMENT