ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart finally says no to whiny Cal

Why is this a good thing again? I see it as Mitch being cheap and not caring much to invest in making the program better. I would think the complaint here would be against Mitch, not "whiny Cal".

Bizarre post, frankly.

The facility is FINE for now. That’s got nothing to do with our problem. It’s all bullshit that Calipari is using to evade the real issue. That HE has messed up because his ego was unchecked and went too far going to war with entities that are necessary. He’s just looking for ways to make it seem like he’s not to blame when he is.

Not surprised some of you don’t get it but Mitch apparently does.

The facility is FINE for now. That’s got nothing to do with our problem. It’s all bullshit that Calipari is using to evade the real issue. That HE has messed up because his ego was unchecked and went too far going to war with entities that are necessary. He’s just looking for ways to make it seem like he’s not to blame when he is.

Not surprised some of you don’t get it but Mitch apparently does.
So why shouldnt we build new facilties while ours are lacking behind all of our competitors again? Just because it is not the main problem does not mean it is something that should not be adressed.

The counter point to be made is that cal can beat the bushes for earmarked private donations, much like stoops does with football.

At this point in his career, cal just doesn't seem interested in doing that. Neither does Mitch.

So why shouldnt we build new facilties while ours are lacking behind all of our competitors again? Just because it is not the main problem does not mean it is something that should not be adressed.

Im all in favor of building and being the best in every department. My issue is Calipari needs to be set out and forced to make a lot of changes. He no longer needs to have the control over basketball he’s had, and needs to be be held accountable. Our facility isn’t the problem right now, he is. He doesn’t win and he’s nonchalant about it.

They need to get to a table and sit down and get down to business. No more players first bullshit no more letting players sit it out no more Calipari crusades. We win, we build.

Is the money that could be spent on dorms going to football instead? If that’s the case, I agree with Mitch. If it has to be one or the other I’d 100% put the money into updating football facilities instead of basketball players lodging. I dont know that much about how far behind we are with our basketball dorms vs our competitors. If it’s really that bad, then definitely I could see making the upgrade. No reason for Kentucky basketball to be behind their competitors.

But this also smacks of Cal reaching for other reasons to blame his decline on anything other than himself. I highly doubt our dorms have been deal breakers. How does Duke basketball players dorms and lodging compare to ours? Kansas? I seriously don’t know.

I’m fairly certain we’re not in lacking behind “all” our competitors.

I must say, I didn’t know this was an issue. For decades I’d heard how our players enjoyed better facilities and housing than everybody else. I wasn’t aware that had changed.

Let's get a new coach first....we are certainly behind a lot of programs in that category.
Look. I’m not happy with Cal either right now. But there’s a buyout and and then a buyin for another quality coach. And right now there’s not a whole lot of good options out there that would be willing to come here.

We’re stuck with Cal until next summer at least.

I must say, I didn’t know this was an issue. For decades I’d heard how our players enjoyed better facilities and housing than everybody else. I wasn’t aware that had changed.
But you admit you don’t know?

Why do you feel the need to post something like this? Did that make you feel taller, sit up in your saddle a little higher? You’re a little man, with little character…

there’s got to be pictures we can compare somehow.

I’d like to know this too.
That’s what I’m saying. I’d like to know just how far behind we are with our dorms vs say a Kansas or a Duke because I seriously don’t know the answer. I’d love to compare.

Reactions: bbncal02
I think Barnhart is trying to spend the money where it’s most needed now. He already wasted 9 million per year trying to help the basketball program. The football program is improving and needs everything it can get to compete in the gauntlet that is SEC football.

If only the university could get some of that coal money that helped with the Coal Lodge like they did 10 years ago. Oh wait, never mind.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and STL_Cat
I think Barnhart is trying to spend the money where it’s most needed now. He already wasted 9 million per year trying to help the basketball program. The football program is improving and needs everything it can get to compete in the gauntlet that is SEC football.

If only the university could get some of that coal money that helped with the Coal Lodge like they did 10 years ago. Oh wait, never mind.
How much does UK pay Cal?

Can I ask a simple question:

What do the current room/lodge facilities for UK basketball players look like today? I think that would go along way to helping us see if a true major spending is in need or not.

The embedded youtube is the current lodge from 2012. I can see not wanting to share rooms and give them their own private rooms. But to me...that is just building some extra rooms. We're already got 3 stories....so I don't see why 13 guys cant' fit wiht some Chip/Joanna Gaines fixer upper. I am not sure this needs to be a major spending issue for UK

Last edited:

Ok… well we are lacking behind UofL, Duke, and KU at the minimum. UofL just finished building a new dorm for their players that connects to the practice facilities and just look at the videos Duke and Ku put out of their facilities, they are above ours. I guess because ours might still ahead of and Auburn (?) or someone like that then we are good to go then right?

Can I ask a simple question:

What do the current room/lodge facilities for UK basketball players look like today? I think that would go along way to helping us see if a true major spending is in need or not.

I just cant' imagine having a building to house 13 basketball players (hell Cal only uses 10-ish scholarships per year at that) is going to need to cost $30Mil...and what we have today can be refurbished. This just doesn't sound like a huge issue to have a very good room/lodging for 13 guys.
Look at what UoFL did, it’s a dorm for hundreds of student athletes and students that houses the basketball players as well and is connected to their practice facility. It wouldn’t be just a dorm for 13 players.

Ok… well we are lacking behind UofL, Duke, and KU at the minimum. UofL just finished building a new dorm for their players that connects to the practice facilities and just look at the videos Duke and Ku put out of their facilities, they are above ours. I guess because ours might still ahead of and Auburn (?) or someone like that then we are good to go then right?
I’d love to see these and compare them to ours.

Reactions: bbncal02
I’d love to see these and compare them to ours.
Quote from Trae young’s mom talking about UK. “But the housing… They’ve got the worst dorms out of all the schools,” his mother said. That at least has gotta convince right?? I don’t know what else you need other than touring all of them for yourself tbh.

Just more proof I think his time at UK is coming to a close; or should be. No way anyone should be ahead of us in basketball facilities. Football should be right there with the best top considering it's the big money maker.

I know I know. The twiddly winks team did great last year. Guess what - none of the non revenue sports will do well if the revenue sports lag. The main reason they all started doing so well was the major influx of sec network and other media money that was all generated by football and basketball.

I believe you are correct. Additionally, the stuff Skinner did in volleyball has been developing since shortly after I left UK nearly 20 years ago.

Quote from Trae young’s mom talking about UK. “But the housing… They’ve got the worst dorms out of all the schools,” his mother said. That at least has gotta convince right?? I don’t know what else you need other than touring all of them for yourself tbh.
Pretty common knowledge their dorms are terrible.

Well, Cal has his excuse for missing on all the recruits he's missed on since the '16 class.

Don't act like Cal doesn’t make excuses either, he blamed the 9-16 season on Covid and the fans. Apparently UK had an unfair disadvantage that year.

I just don't get how a guy can ask for big extravagant things after the last few years that guy has had.

Maybe someone should explain to him what he has done to this program, while trying to focus on getting kids drafted.

I mean it’s one quote from one lady, don’t like to hear it certainly. I remember when she said that and being surprised, and I hadn’t heard anything else about it since then. It’s surprising because I always thought we had really good housing. It just doesn’t seem like a recruiting dealbreaker and our university has bigger fish to fry. If we desperately need better lodging, how about our former players donate some of that billion dollars in earnings back to the university? Should we not hope that all that money we brag about our guys making pays the program back a little? Just a thought..

Reactions: kyjeff1
I think what people are curious on is what needs to be fixed to the dorms. It’s not like the players are living with leaky ceilings, broken doors and roaches running around. I haven’t really seen anyone say what the main issue is that makes the dorms bad. One quote from a players mom doesn’t really say why they suck. I’m guessing people just view them as outdated, but who knows?

Reactions: kyjeff1 and STL_Cat

Here you go

Does anyone else recall discussion in the past about how some "regular" students had to be grouped in with the players housing because they could not have preferential treatment? I even recall something about mattresses having to be removed due to NCAA enforcement.

I mean it’s one quote from one lady, don’t like to hear it certainly. I remember when she said that and being surprised, and I hadn’t heard anything else about it since then. It’s surprising because I always thought we had really good housing. It just doesn’t seem like a recruiting dealbreaker and our university has bigger fish to fry. If we desperately need better lodging, how about our former players donate some of that billion dollars in earnings back to the university? Should we not hope that all that money we brag about our guys making pays the program back a little? Just a thought..
I agree it’s not a huge deal but it’s not like starting groundwork and getting the process going on it halts anything else that we would be doing.

This isn't about Cal--it's about helping the program upgrade facilities. For all the deserved criticism Cal has received, this isn't it. Facility upgrades are a necessity for the program-not an individual coach.

It's ignorant to not want upgrades and Calipari explained in a clear manner why the dorms were needed to be upgraded. The things they wanted to do at the time were not allowed by NCAA and then rule changed to allow them a few years later. This isn't whining, it's just being honest.
Look at the stands during home UK games. People are rapidly losing interest in UK basketball and it's because of Cal doing things like watering down the home schedule, not playing high profile games, going 9-16, losing to SP, losing to Evansville, missing out on almost every primary recruiting target, losing the all time wins lead and talking down to the fans.

Some of you guys act like Mitch has done nothing to improve the Basketball facilities.

This year, it's the dorms, next year it'll be something else.

Does anyone else recall discussion in the past about how some "regular" students had to be grouped in with the players housing because they could not have preferential treatment? I even recall something about mattresses having to be removed due to NCAA enforcement.
I think that was like 40 years ago. When the lodge was first built.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT