ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart finally says no to whiny Cal

Now I hope Mitch takes the ice cream machine out of the dorm. Then Cal will really be upset with Mitch and it wiped that smile off Cal’s face.

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Why is this a good thing again? I see it as Mitch being cheap and not caring much to invest in making the program better. I would think the complaint here would be against Mitch, not "whiny Cal".

Bizarre post, frankly.
Duke keeps landing the number ONE class and plays games in a barn built in 1940. We all know facilities are not the issue.
As far as Cal’s love for the NBA, those guys have no issue sitting in Duke’s 1940 barn to watch the product on the floor.

Our head coach is the issue! He’s just trying to blame our facilities!

Just more proof I think his time at UK is coming to a close; or should be. No way anyone should be ahead of us in basketball facilities. Football should be right there with the best top considering it's the big money maker.

I know I know. The twiddly winks team did great last year. Guess what - none of the non revenue sports will do well if the revenue sports lag. The main reason they all started doing so well was the major influx of sec network and other media money that was all generated by football and basketball.

Yeah, if kids REALLY want to play at Kentucky they'll sleep in a tent and practice outside. I laugh at Duke, Kansas and North Carolina trying to sell kids with fabulous facilities and state-of-the-art accommodations. Kentucky wants kids who are dazzled by tales of Issel and Dampier, even if they grew up in NYC or the Congo.

I’m team Cal in this one. UKs facilities should never be behind other programs. We are behind several.

The UK coach shouldn’t be woefully behind other programs’ coaches in the X’s and O’s department either, but that’s where we are in 2022.

I’m not saying the facilities don’t need an upgrade. Personally I always felt like the coal lodge was kind of lame even when it opened. The old Wildcat Lodge was much nicer, relative to its era of course. But to act like it’s a grievous sin to not have the best facilities when our coach is out there refusing to teach a zone or an inbounds play or how to fight through a screen... just smacks of desperation.

That ancient offense that just happened to be ranked 5th in efficiency last season.

People continue to focus their efforts on the wrong side of the ball here.

Look at our numbers post 15. Then look at our offense and defensive numbers pre 15. There's one number that's holding us back and it isn't our "outdated" offense.

Yeah, if kids REALLY want to play at Kentucky they'll sleep in a tent and practice outside. I laugh at Duke, Kansas and North Carolina trying to sell kids with fabulous facilities and state-of-the-art accommodations. Kentucky wants kids who are dazzled by tales of Issel and Dampier, even if they grew up in NYC or the Congo.
Right. Because that’s what our basketball program is asking if he players to do.

I’m all for upgrading facilities, but comparing our facilities to living in a tent outside tells me you’ve never been camping.

This might be a move by Mitch to make Cal mad and leave. I’m sure the request for a facilities upgrade was made privately first. And when Mitch said “no” Cal went public with it. Regardless, I’d like them both to be replaced by people who put the basketball program first.

Mitch doesn't control whether we spend huge bucks on new facilities. He has a boss, just like Cal does. For all we know, he's arguing like hell for it behind the scenes, but in public he's toeing the company line.

The Courier Journal’s Jon Hale had a wide-ranging conversation with Mitch Barnhart following last week’s Board of Trustees meeting. That included asking UK’s director of athletics if new dorms are on the horizon for the men’s basketball program.

“I told him, I said we’ll always look,” Barnhart said. “But I think we’ve got a really good landscape, we’ve got a lot of really good things in Kentucky basketball.”

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Amazing how some these coaches can win games and titles without the latest and greatest facilities....St Peters must have amazing facilities

The UK coach shouldn’t be woefully behind other programs’ coaches in the X’s and O’s department either, but that’s where we are in 2022.

I’m not saying the facilities don’t need an upgrade. Personally I always felt like the coal lodge was kind of lame even when it opened. The old Wildcat Lodge was much nicer, relative to its era of course. But to act like it’s a grievous sin to not have the best facilities when our coach is out there refusing to teach a zone or an inbounds play or how to fight through a screen... just smacks of desperation.
Agree.

Bizarre some fans would actually not want an investment made in UK basketball facilites essentially just because Cal asked for it. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

To each their own I suppose.
Considering the results the last two seasons....I'd tell Cal the same thing....in fact I would have said, we'll upgrade when your results do.

You know it’s possible to support Cal’s stance on facilities and still think he needs to change and improve his coaching etc.

Too many are just picking a for Cal side or against Cal side and blinding themselves to the whole picture and other aspects of the program.

You know it’s possible to support Cal’s stance on facilities and still think he needs to change and improve his coaching etc.

Too many are just picking a for Cal side or against Cal side and blinding themselves to the whole picture and other aspects of the program.
I am looking at the whole picture. I just know we can give the current coach the latest and greatest of everything and he still can’t do what is most important. Win games for the University of Kentucky over putting guys into the NBA!

I would rather put money towards moving him out and getting a head coach in here that can start winning games at UK over getting guys drafted including guys that never play a game for us.

I don’t think anymore money should be spent so Cal can farm guys to the NBA. Get us a new coach in here and let him rebuild our program into the “Gold Standard” in facilities and winning championships.

Don‘t give grandpa the keys to a Ferrari so he can drive it like a Chevette.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT