ADVERTISEMENT

Banchero: “Yall think i’m a center?”

True, that could certainly hurt them.

But, it’s hard not to do that when the kid was going around telling people he was going to UK and [allegedly] had told the staff the same thing.

I’m sure the emotion of it all played a factor into that. But, you can understand why the media would be asking those questions.
dude definitely got paid the big bucks no big man who has any grasp on NBA bigs and kentucky’s development on them goes to duke to get developed. He even said AD was the best player in the bubble so I ask why a guy who clearly knows that UK produces successful NBA bigs was telling people he was coming to UK at BBM and a guy that wanted to take all his visits and decide in the fall suddenly commits to duke with no notice. My theory is duke offered him a offer he couldn’t refuse probably similar to the Zion deal or maybe even better after all K compared him to Zion...

Lots of coaches tell players things to get them to commit... Duke recruited natural 3's and played them at the 4. Players can get touches in all areas in all areas of the floor and be a facilitator of the offense...
Y'all think Cal told players he would play them n platoons when he recruited them that year... it's all part of the game of recruiting

The “platoon” was never planned; it was the compromise Cal developed when we unexpectedly had multiple players return for another season.

He had ten guys—all of whom could play legitimate minutes—he felt obligated to, and he felt it was in their interest to “platoon” for the kids; it was the best possible solution to play all of them in two different rotations that both complemented each other based on individual strengths and weaknesses.

However, I would say none of them complained when they finished 38-1 and were a couple missed calls from a National Championship; which, would have arguably been considered the greatest single-season in the history of college basketball.

I would say it worked out really well for everyone. Not to mention it gave those kids an experience in life that is absolutely priceless—something they will never have again.

^^^How does PB reclass provide Duke an advantage? UK has been trying to get the kid to reclass for what 2 recruiting cycles? He could have done that with UK too. In fact, if PB wanted to reclass, it would make more sense for him to join UK now--presumably we will have the better team this year (over Duke).

I want to know how the kid was "visited" by JS when in person contact is expressly prohibited. How does that work?

^^^How does PB reclass provide Duke an advantage? UK has been trying to get the kid to reclass for what 2 recruiting cycles? He could have done that with UK too. In fact, if PB wanted to reclass, it would make more sense for him to join UK now--presumably we will have the better team this year (over Duke).

I want to know how the kid was "visited" by JS when in person contact is expressly prohibited. How does that work?

Well 2 years.. but only 6 months of those during covid, which changes everything. Look. Its Coach K.. who knows what shit he pulled. Im not saying he's going to reclass.. just that its the only thing that makes sense, when you compare it to commiting early for 2021 to your 4th place school.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
..but if he stays in 2021, that's an awful long time from now. The G-League is going to offer him several hundred thousand to play on their select team. I truly don't trust the top5 or top10 to go the college route anymore, whether they are our guys, Duke's or someone else's. I think you can expect a handful of them to opt for the G-league route.

Cal being forced to go deeper into the class, might not be by design, but it does have it's benefits. Those guys are not going to be G-league worthy, and they offer a fairly high chance to be 2-year players. It's like taking a few steps back to hit a 3-pointer, as opposed to a long 2. You might miss (and the 30th ranked player is 1AD), but if you make it, it pays off.

I’m all on the Cal train and love and support Cal. But by and large it’s silly to think many of our guys are going to stay 2 years even if it’s evident they need to stay 2 years.

There are examples (PJ etc) but not so much.

I'd still like to know how Duke "communicates" with our #1 recruit in a form of prohibited contact (visited 2 weeks ago)---when no one else got to. How does that work? Kid is in Seattle. Duke is obviously in North Carolina.

No one said Jon S. actually met him in person, it was over a webinar link. They cannot meet in person.

However, if you listed to Banchero, he said he had already made a visit to Duke prior to COVID, and regularly texts with K and Jon S. He just felt comfortable.

I hope Banchero plays point guard at Duke. "Y'all think I am a Center." No. I think you are a sucker for a sales pitch telling you what you wanted to hear.

No one said he was going to play point guard. They said a point forward, which doesn't mean he's going to bring the ball up the court.

Reactions: michael895
I thought he shot done the idea of reclassifying... there is a lot that goes into a reclass and with classes starting how would that even be possible at this point

In body and skills, Banchero is a 4-5. If he wants to be a perimeter player, so do a lot of other big guys who don't have the mental toughness not to take any possessions off. If Banchero did not think he was a comfortable fit at Kentucky, so be it. Nobody can criticize Cal's effort. Some people get way too upset about what each and every high school player decides.

Cal will sign Hickman and Hopkins. Maybe Sallis. Maybe Hardy. Where the class goes from there is impossible to guess yet, but Cal signs one of the country's top classes every year.

Someone who does not like OAD and wants more players to hang around several years should be happy. It will not make others happy if they need Kentucky to sign four or five of the top 10 players every single year, but that is not a reasonable expectation.
Hopefully Banchero will follow suit as another similar player; Ben Simmons. May they both win the same amount of trophies.

I was joking about Point Guard. Sorry you didn't get it.
You may have been joking but some here are taking it literally. Duke often uses wings in a variety of ways. This kid has a unique talent and is able to knock down jumpers. With improved ball skilles he could fit in that point forward mold that he seems to believe he is.

No one saying he is gonna take roaches spot as PG. But could we see him grab the ball and run a fast break occasionally. Yes. Will Duke pull him from the block and give him the ball on the peremeter to make a play, more than likely. Giving players more freedom in the offensive scheme and playing positionless basketball has been a routine thing for K since his Olympic run.

Cal is more old school. He wants his best big in the paint to dominate. With the occasional 15 foot jumper to keep the defense honest.

Great post! Also allows them to bring ball up off the glass or lead breaks if they are capable. This fallacy is all linked to Skal and Skal was a great jump shooter who hit a lot of them at UK, he just should've been facing up more but Cal was developing him like the guys before him and didn't want him one dimensional. He took the hit for Skal's limitations as well which is what coaches do, but it's like that 1 kid has "haunted" UK with recruits? I'd get it if the UK guys were busting because they weren't prepared for NBA but when Nick Richards makes it and I don't care where he's selected, he's going to make a team and stay in league a long time due to his size/mobility/athleticism and skill-he can shoot the ball as well as be a defensive player. I'd argue he has a chance to be a better version of WCS due to having more offensive skill---when will people wake up and see reality?

Hell Isaac Humphries was splashing jumpers at UK too and allowed to take them because he could make them. You get leeway to do what you want if you prove you can do so without being a liability.
It’s just getting ridiculous at this point, and maybe it’s just wishful thinking but you’d think someone with some sense in these kids’ circles especially the parents could see the real from the fake just by doing their homework. Proof has been in the pudding for years and it hasn’t changed.

It’s just getting ridiculous at this point, and maybe it’s just wishful thinking but you’d think someone with some sense in these kids’ circles especially the parents could see the real from the fake just by doing their homework. Proof has been in the pudding for years and it hasn’t changed.

considering that it keeps happening over and over again, maybe just maybe it’s you that are seeing it wrong. You really think ALL of these kids don’t have folks around them that are knowledgeable about the game and who has done what with who In terms of the next level? It’s bigger than that. Kids actually want to enjoy where they go. It’s well documented that players ENJOY playing for K. That’s proof you seem to keep ignoring. But of course you will tell me it’s only the $.

I’m sure Nike is going to advise these kids to go to the schools they see fit, like pieces on a chess board. Duke just happens to be the school they are pushing at the moment, in my opinion.

Kids actually want to enjoy where they go. It’s well documented that players ENJOY playing for K. That’s proof you seem to keep ignoring. But of course you will tell me it’s only the $.

There is zero evidence that K's players liked playing for him more than any other coach, certainly Cal included. As a matter of fact, you have quite a few guys unhappy with their time at Duke.

I'd say it's pretty clear to everyone but Duke fans that something happened with the Zion recruitment. This wasn't much different.

There is zero evidence that K's players liked playing for him more than any other coach, certainly Cal included. As a matter of fact, you have quite a few guys unhappy with their time at Duke.

I'd say it's pretty clear to everyone but Duke fans that something happened with the Zion recruitment. This wasn't much different.

What convinced Banchero to join the Blue Devils? Banchero particularly appreciated the “frequent contact from Coach K” and the large amount of “freedom they would give [him].”

What I do know is that most players enjoy playing for K due to the amount of freedom they get. Any coach thats been around as long as K is going to have SOME guys who may have disliked their time but it’s nothing even worth mentioning. There’s never been a trend.

What convinced Banchero to join the Blue Devils? Banchero particularly appreciated the “frequent contact from Coach K” and the large amount of “freedom they would give [him].”

What I do know is that most players enjoy playing for K due to the amount of freedom they get. Any coach thats been around as long as K is going to have SOME guys who may have disliked their time but it’s nothing even worth mentioning. There’s never been a trend.

At Duke, freedom equals not playing defense, at least in recent years. Part of the appeal of Duke is that K values offense over defense and if you can score 20 a game but can’t guard a stump, that’s okay.

Prime example: Matthew Hurt.

So Banchero knows that he will have freedom to play the 4 spot without having to worry about getting benched when he can’t stay in front of his man.

He knows that K would rather sit in a 2/3 zone and play his stars than try to get them to play really good man to man defense.

So, yes, freedom is a nice way to put it.

They don’t care about or think about the same stuff fans do.

Paolo is most assuredly going top 5 regardless of where he goes as he is that level of good. None of these players care about tradition of school and all that. They care about where their name is going to be on the draft board. College basketball is COMPLETELY different than it was 10 years unfortunately and the many wonderful years before that. It took me awhile to get it but once you do it puts things in perspective.

Paolo will have a net worth of at least $20 million in 12 months regardless of where he goes. That’s what they care and are thinking about. They don’t want to have to work and grind in their pit stop.

Last edited:
If the recruits are told that enough then they start to believe it without researching it for themselves. It’s just that easy
This.
hell the adults don’t research; ya think a 17 year old kid will.

our society is so sad... almost anything can be true if said enough.

considering that it keeps happening over and over again, maybe just maybe it’s you that are seeing it wrong. You really think ALL of these kids don’t have folks around them that are knowledgeable about the game and who has done what with who In terms of the next level? It’s bigger than that. Kids actually want to enjoy where they go. It’s well documented that players ENJOY playing for K. That’s proof you seem to keep ignoring. But of course you will tell me it’s only the $.
Lol no it’s quite simple actually. I’m a 5star top-10 big with aspirations of making a CAREER in the NBA. I’m going to 3-4 good HARD looks at UK at least before deciding before any other school. Proof in the pudding! What bigs that have come out of Duke that have become elite, starters or consistent role players in the NBA compared to Duke for example? Answer that.

Paolo is most assuredly going top 5 regardless of where he goes as he is that level of good. None of these players care about tradition of school and all that. They care about where their name is going to be on the draft board. College basketball is COMPLETELY different than it was 10 years unfortunately and the many wonderful years before that. It took me awhile to get it but once you do it puts things in perspective.

Paolo will have a net worth of at least $20 million in 12 months regardless of where he goes. That’s what they care and are thinking about. They don’t want to have to work and grind in their pit stop.
My point is about developing and ensuring to give yourself the best chance of reaching your potential or even sticking in the NBA. Hell Hamidou. Diallo is playing meaningful NBA PLAYOFF mins. That’s what I mean. 20 million is nice but 150 million sounds a lot better.

No one said Jon S. actually met him in person, it was over a webinar link. They cannot meet in person.

However, if you listed to Banchero, he said he had already made a visit to Duke prior to COVID, and regularly texts with K and Jon S. He just felt comfortable.

no.. that was exactly the quote above. JS met with PB. How is that fair or possible? Given duke,s nefarious methods during recent recruiting, I’m not gonna simply take your word for it, when the comment specifically says something to the. Contrary

dude definitely got paid the big bucks no big man who has any grasp on NBA bigs and kentucky’s development on them goes to duke to get developed. He even said AD was the best player in the bubble so I ask why a guy who clearly knows that UK produces successful NBA bigs was telling people he was coming to UK at BBM and a guy that wanted to take all his visits and decide in the fall suddenly commits to duke with no notice. My theory is duke offered him a offer he couldn’t refuse probably similar to the Zion deal or maybe even better after all K compared him to Zion...
Calipari should get Nike to start making offers. We've lost about 80% of our battles with Duke for top 5 players since 2015. That's terrible. Not coincidentally, we also haven't been to a final four since 2015. It's not completely causal but it is one part of the cause. We can all run around this message board with our head held high, thinking that the world actually cares about our ethical stand, or we can start playing in the sandbox that will get us elite players again. I'm tired of feeling like uk has no chance the land Premier Talent when we're going head-to-head with Duke for a kid. That's not getting the best of the best. That's getting the second best of the best.

Last edited:
Duke can keep landing all the top bigs they want...but the NCAA tourney is a guards game and that is where we will always dominate them both in recruiting and in the tourney.

Reactions: RunninRichie
No one saying he is gonna take roaches spot as PG. But could we see him grab the ball and run a fast break occasionally. Yes. Will Duke pull him from the block and give him the ball on the peremeter to make a play, more than likely. Giving players more freedom in the offensive scheme and playing positionless basketball has been a routine thing for K since his Olympic run.

Cal is more old school. He wants his best big in the paint to dominate. With the occasional 15 foot jumper to keep the defense honest.

Man. I wish Cal had thought of positionless basketball first!

He can play some center but that is not where he is going to spend most of his time.
Well we know one thing if Duke couldn't even get to the final 4 with the supposed 2 greatest teams in college basketball history Banchero is not going to be an NCAA champion. If those 2 teams couldn't even get to the final 4 then this team is not going to win either. Oh by the way did the bancheros move into the Williamson's old million dollar shack.

Well we know one thing if Duke couldn't even get to the final 4 with the supposed 2 greatest teams in college basketball history Banchero is not going to be an NCAA champion. If those 2 teams couldn't even get to the final 4 then this team is not going to win either. Oh by the way did the bancheros move into the Williamson's old million dollar shack.
This reasoning would make more sense if Duke has never won a title. Or never won a title led by OAD’s.

Reactions: DukeNation12
no.. that was exactly the quote above. JS met with PB. How is that fair or possible? Given duke,s nefarious methods during recent recruiting, I’m not gonna simply take your word for it, when the comment specifically says something to the. Contrary

Wrong, PB said it himself that he met online with Jon S. two weeks ago and then gave his commitment a week after that. Watch his interview.

Agreed. This whole thing has changed and what these kids now know is that they get drafted on potential. sure, some kids improve their draft position based on what they did in college, but honestly all the NBA cares about is your measurables, athleticism and skill. So you can go to NE Louisiana Tech school of the deaf and blind if you're Anthony Davis and you're still going to go #1 in the draft.

It looks like Anthony Edwards is going #1 in the draft this year. That’s all the proof you need to know that the school you attend really doesn't matter.

The kids that might benefit the most from going to UK, are the 4* kids like Herro and Shai. Those are the guys that are skilled, but need a program, like UK, that gives them the big push they need to shoot up the rankings.

Why would a top 10 guy want to come to UK and go through some of the toughest training they'll ever go through, when they already know they are going lottery in the next draft?

Boston and Clarke took the plunge and I'm glad they did, but they easily could have gone anywhere and went lottery in 2021.

Agreed. This whole thing has changed and what these kids now know is that they get drafted on potential. sure, some kids improve their draft position based on what they did in college, but honestly all the NBA cares about is your measurables, athleticism and skill. So you can go to NE Louisiana Tech school of the deaf and blind if you're Anthony Davis and you're still going to go #1 in the draft.

It looks like Anthony Edwards is going #1 in the draft this year. That’s all the proof you need to know that the school you attend really doesn't matter.

The kids that might benefit the most from going to UK, are the 4* kids like Herro and Shai. Those are the guys that are skilled, but need a program, like UK, that gives them the big push they need to shoot up the rankings.

Why would a top 10 guy want to come to UK and go through some of the toughest training they'll ever go through, when they already know they are going lottery in the next draft?

Boston and Clarke took the plunge and I'm glad they did, but they easily could have gone anywhere and went lottery in 2021.
it’s not about going lottery it’s about sticking around in the NBA but ok

You
it’s not about going lottery it’s about sticking around in the NBA but ok
You don't have to tell me, I'm not the one going to Georgia. I'm just stating the reason why these kids are going elsewhere. They all think they are great and that once they get in, they’re there to stay.

But to counter your point, UK does a good job of preparing kids to not only get to the NBA, but stay there, however, there are, what, 30 UK guys in the NBA right now? Just a guess. But there are literally hundreds of players in that league and most of them are multi year players. Doncic didn’t go to UK and he's going to stick around a while. LeBron, Ben Simmons, Kyrie, Mitchell, Lillard, Chris Paul, the beard, etc never went to UK, but they are staples in the league. You don't HAVE to go to UK when you have elite size and talent.

The Harrison twins went to UK, but they're G-League guys. If you don't have great athleticism or great ANYTHING, even UK can't make the NBA keep you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT