ADVERTISEMENT

Bama's trouble finding a new coach highlights how blue blood programs in college sports aren't the draw they used to be.

ukcatz12

Junior
Mar 27, 2009
Bama may have struck out on every one of their top targets. Guys at good but not great programs like Oregon are staying put. Everyone is always so sure when Cal leaves we can lure a guy like Drew or Lloyd, but I really don't think it's as easy as people think. Being at the level of a Oregon football or Baylor basketball has incredible job security and guys like Drew will have the court named after them when they leave. Why leave a great situation to put yourself into a pressure cooker where it takes very little to be on the hot seat? Especially if you've always proven you can win where you are, like Drew has at Baylor.

Bama may have struck out on every one of their top targets. Guys at good but not great programs like Oregon are staying put. Everyone is always so sure when Cal leaves we can lure a guy like Drew or Lloyd, but I really don't think it's as easy as people think. Being at the level of a Oregon football or Baylor basketball has incredible job security and guys like Drew will have the court named after them when they leave. Why leave a great situation to put yourself into a pressure cooker where it takes very little to be on the hot seat? Especially if you've always proven you can win where you are, like Drew has at Baylor.
This X1000. But people don't get it.

Reactions: Zissou87 and ftp000
What evidence beyond Lanning’s disinterest is there of this trouble?

I already assumed they’d strike out on Lanning from the beginning. Oregon is a tremendous job. Why deal with the super intense pressure and scrutiny of following Saban when you already have that gig?

What evidence beyond Lanning’s disinterest is there of this trouble?

I already assumed they’d strike out on Lanning from the beginning. Oregon is a tremendous job. Why deal with the super intense pressure and scrutiny of following Saban when you already have that gig?
Lanning and Norvell turned it down. There were rumors of Sark and he signed an extension last night. They're current target is DeBoer. If that doesn't work they might be in legit trouble.

I’m not sure how much of a target they were. It’s like Rick Barnes taking his name out of consideration for the Bama job.

Saban likely didn’t up and abruptly retire, there was probably a plan in place complete with his replacement already decided on.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
You really want to be the guy who has to replace Nick Saban? Aside from the NC's he played in 9 NC games in his 17 yrs there and 2 others was in the CFB Playoff Semis-so 11 of the 17 seasons he had them in contention for a National Championship.

That being said-Jimmy Sexton factors in here big time. He's going to make sure he gets his clients extensions and has done this in every coaching search he's involved with-which in the SEC is every coaching search. LOL

Actually think it's unreal that Bama may get a coach who is 104-12 as a HC and only 49 yrs old to replace Saban (Kalen DeBoer). What he did at Washington with the position their program was in was fantastic and he was 5-0 against Lanning/Sarkisian with far less talent and resources at UW. He'd have to adjust to SEC but he had to adjust from leaving Sioux Falls to Fresno State to Seattle for the UW job. Winners find ways to win.

That would be a home run hire considering who just retired if you ask me. Not many guys like him available and it's not like he's not proven he can get to the Final Four of CFB--he just got to the NCG in his 2nd year at a Power 5 program. That's an elite hire/replacement if they land him and all things seem to be pointing to him being the guy.

Drew? F that POS. He's beneath us.

Whoever takes over the program will take a step back from where it is now. I just think about how we got BCG to replace Tubby. Was that the only option?

Alabama has already not gotten who they wanted. Their first two choices turned them down.
Alabama’s first choice just retired. Who they ask now are all secondary options.

The coach that follows Saban is going to have a short tenure. Why leave a comfortable, well-paying position at a place with considerably lower expectations?

Going to be interesting to see how Mayo follows Belichick in NE.

Just another sickening fact for the Cleveland Browns..... the 2 greatest football coaches of all-time once walked the sideline for the Cleveland Browns. They were 67-77 in their time here😭🤢🤣

This X1000. But people don't get it.
Cal has been good, not great. Not at the Saban level. Duke and Carolina probably would have had similar difficulty replacing K & Roy both leaving while near the top. Replacing Cal won't be as challenging, unless he wins us #9 and then leaves.

Didn't Saban just retire?

Coaching searches, no matter how elite, rarely work out like "x is best option, therefore we get x."

Anyway, the chances the next coach is as good as Saban is quite low. It's hard to be as good as the best ever lol

Reactions: The_Answer1313
This is it. ^^^

It’s not the Blue Blood per say but following the GOAT is damn near impossible.

Think Wooden
Think MJ
Think TB12

It’s a great job but the task is too big for most.
It's also why I have tons of respect for Joe B Hall. Most fans didn't really appreciate what he did until he retired because they were too busy comparing him to Rupp.

Really, the man just retired, have they had time to go to that many. And I don't think UK will have that hard a problem replacing Cal when the time comes.

Reactions: mailman85
But and also, Alabama job was a shiz show before Saban got there, crap seasons, they had trouble hiring a coach, even had to hire and fire some old guy for playing with cheerleaders, it was a shiz show and then Saban surprised everybody and took the job. I actually felt it was kind of similar to us after BCG made us a laughing stock, when Cal took it, and his first five year record was amazing and got us back on track..

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Bama may have struck out on every one of their top targets. Guys at good but not great programs like Oregon are staying put. Everyone is always so sure when Cal leaves we can lure a guy like Drew or Lloyd, but I really don't think it's as easy as people think. Being at the level of an Oregon football or Baylor basketball has incredible job security and guys like Drew will have the court named after them when they leave. Why leave a great situation to put yourself into a pressure cooker where it takes very little to be on the hot seat? Especially if you've always proven you can win where you are, like Drew has at Baylor.
It’s been a whole 48 hours since Saban resigned,I don’t think I would go to the lengths of saying they are having trouble at this stage.

Alabama has already not gotten who they wanted. Their first two choices turned them down.
How do you know those were choices #1 and 2? They may be doing nothing at this stage, but gauging other coaches, interest, and setting up interviews for those that are interested.. For all, you know, they may have been choices nine and 10 and not one and two

Reactions: delk4three and sk73
Don’t understand the post - they got the best available Coach in the Country - I did not hear their Bama offered Lanning or Sark - they both just got raises or extension because they was in conversation
DeBoer is 5-0 against both and has the best Head Coaching won loss record in the game I would imagine

There is no comparison to Alabama football and Kentucky basketball other than both being historically successful when you talk about taking a program over and the next coach.

The next coach at Kentucky is going to have issues that Bama’s coach does not have and will have opportunities that Bama’s coach will not.

Even in the transfer portal days it is very hard to take a team from zero to national championship caliber overnight in football. so much more pressure, coaching, program building a lot is involved in College football.

Love him or hate him, Cal took an NIT team and in a few weeks made them the front-runner and should have been national champion in 2010.

Most of these football guys have the same money BAMA can pay them and can make the playoffs and win the title where they are. A basketball coach unless they are at a handful of programs would be taking a huge leap by coming to Kentucky.

Whoever takes over the program will take a step back from where it is now. I just think about how we got BCG to replace Tubby. Was that the only option?
Honestly, Clyde wasn’t a bad bball coach by any means. He had A&M rolling with Quincy Law and co. They had knocked off Kansas at AFS and earned a top two seed if my memory is correct. He was one of the biggest up and comers in college ball. He also has Tarleton St at 11-3 this year and at the top of their conference. He just had demons that didn’t allow him to be what he could’ve been. He was definitely a P.O.S but people forget how hot he was before he took the UK job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT