ADVERTISEMENT

The portal can be a major boon to programs like UK

ghorn19

Senior
Sep 5, 2002
The news that several Bama players entered the transfer portal got me thinking.
I always wondered what was more important to a recruit, playing time or winning.
Obviously anyone would want BOTH. But over the years we've seen the Cats come in second to top tier programs on some major players, only to see those guys ride the pine.
Players get recruited over all the time, UK has even lost a couple guys like that.
But now with the ability to play immediately, a "hot" program like UK with playing time available can be very attractive for a former 4 star sitting on the bench at a top program.
In the past the Bamas, OSU's and Oregon's of the world could horde players. I remember losing Julius Yeast to OSU. OSU was LOADED on DL and some of those guys never got a chance.

I expect to see more and more top recruits frustrated with their situation leave to go to a program like UK where they know they can play right away and win.

To pull some really good players from other SEC programs to come here and play right away AND WIN MORE just blows my mind.

Ever think you'd see some top LSU talent say "Eff it, I'm going to UK"?

I think what may be changing in our favor is this. In the past we were starting to be a program on the rise with good facilities and fan base etc that had its attraction to even some bigger recruits, but once they visited Bama, UGA, or OSU they were told . . . "yes you can go there and play and have a good career, but what your will give up is the chance to ever play in the big show in January" and then they show them the tape of the playoffs and all its hype etc. And that's why we ultimiately ended up second on most of those type guys. They didnt want to give up the chance forever of having the chance to play on the BIG stage.

Now I think its harder for them to make that statement as recruits do see a chance that UK could sneak itself into that possibility. So the combination now of playing time, great facilities, great culture and atmosphere . . . plus the chance to compete for chamionships works well for us. We've eliminate the one thing we had no answer for.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
I think NIL plays a role now and that could hinder UK for some kids.
Most of these kids didn't make it where there at so I'm doubting anyone is offering them big NIL money to come there. Of course there are players like the two leaving Oklahoma with the coaching change, but those are the exceptions not the norm.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT