ADVERTISEMENT

Bama offers Wandale

In state recruiting has completely fallen apart and now Ohio may be drying up. We have made a living in Ohio under Stoops signing kids like Hunter. Kids who have several really good Power 5 offers but not from OSU. I hope us pulling Marrow out of Ohio to focus on Ky doesn't hurt us there because it seems like the Ky kids weren't/aren't coming either way. We need some good news soon.
There is no doubt that UK's recruiting momentum in OH is subsiding. Marrow has gone from 11 OH commitments in 2016 down to one legacy commitment from OH so far in 2019, and the decline up there has been steady. It seems to correlate with Vince Marrow spending less time in OH while he spends more time in MD, KY, AL, and StL.

But it is a mistake to just take one recruiting trend in isolation. Lots of things are happening at once. UK is plucking guys like Yusuf Corker and KD McDaniel out of GA now. Pope, Garner, Hawkins, and Wright are fine looking players out of FL. Instate recruiting cannot quite be described as falling apart the week we get a commitment from a JeffCo player who decommitted from UL and then turned down Oregon, UM, and MSU. This is something to be happy about. I just think it is a little early to sing the sad song.

I think UK is recruiting more areas. Not sure Ohio recruiting is subsiding. We landed about five very good prospects from Ohio in the 2018 class (four 5.7 three stars to go with Oats). Oats may be the best Ohio recruit ever landed by UK. I think UK is still strong in Ohio.

I think UK is recruiting more areas. Not sure Ohio recruiting is subsiding. We landed about five very good prospects from Ohio in the 2018 class (four 5.7 three stars to go with Oats). Oats may be the best Ohio recruit ever landed by UK. I think UK is still strong in Ohio.
I hope Oats has a nice career. But it is pointless to argue at this point that he is a better get out of OH than Snell, Bowden, or Edwards.

It is a fact that UK signed eleven out of OH in 2016, six out of OH in 2017, and five out of OH in 2018. That's a trend. In the 2019 class, we have one legacy verbal commit from OH. So you can pick whatever word you want to describe it. Recruiting out of OH is on the decline.

That doesn't mean overall UK recruiting is on the decline. If we keep getting players out of GA like Corker and McDaniel, out of FL like Garner and Hawkins, and out of MD like Paschal, things should be fine. The game still comes down to blocking and tackling. If we do that better than the other team, won't matter where the players were born.

I hope Oats has a nice career. But it is pointless to argue at this point that he is a better get out of OH than Snell, Bowden, or Edwards.

It is a fact that UK signed eleven out of OH in 2016, six out of OH in 2017, and five out of OH in 2018. That's a trend. In the 2019 class, we have one legacy verbal commit from OH. So you can pick whatever word you want to describe it. Recruiting out of OH is on the decline.

That doesn't mean overall UK recruiting is on the decline. If we keep getting players out of GA like Corker and McDaniel, out of FL like Garner and Hawkins, and out of MD like Paschal, things should be fine. The game still comes down to blocking and tackling. If we do that better than the other team, won't matter where the players were born.

I was only assessing Oats as a recruit, not as a player. I could not fathom a guess as to whether his career would equal Benny’s, Mike’s or what I hope from Lynn. But to have five recruits and none be below 5.7, that seems like it has substance where other years have had more numbers.

That said, I don’t disagree. We see “trends.” It could be about relationships. Or, it could be a shift in mentality by the staff. It could be that they over-valued Ohio?

Geez, that kid has the “it” factor. Some team is gonna be lucky to have him. Interesting to hear how UM claims it plans to use Shea Patterson running RPOs. Also, interesting to hear how UK has admitted SJ did not permit them to throw it. Seems Stoops is not only telling the fans that he expects better QB passing this year.

Wandale is enjoying the recruiting process, like any normal 17 year old. He is not going to Alabama. He comes from a large close family in Frankfort that produces a lot of football talent by the way. What I've heard is the same thing Ive heard for a year....
Kentucky = Ohio State (pretty even, but ultimately he is enjoying the process and will be a cat by January)
Michigan
Purdue
Alabama

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT