ADVERTISEMENT

B10 postpones full practice and scrimmage

Article I read stated all cards are on the table...including moving football to after the first of the year or just folding the hand, biting the revenue bullet and going to the house until next fall.
If the Big 10 folds the tent, the Pac12 will follow within a day. After that....doesnt look promising at all.

Bill that is basically what is being posted on our board this afternoon by a couple posters pretty well connected to th he program. Everything put off with practice starting in Dec.

If that is how it plays out, can likely see a large number of players opting out, no one draft eligible especially first couple rounds will want to risk a serious injury.

Something else was also passed alone. Conference commissioners had a gentleman's agreement to work and act united, Big10 wanted to appear to be the trend setter and has jumped the gun on everything.

Reactions: billoliver40
Help me with the perspective on this:
1. I get the notion that college football can't be in a "bubble" like NBA and given how contagious Covid is (even if you don't think it's overly dangerous to 22 year olds)....playing football in September has those risks and it's going to be nearly impossible to ignore the risks. So not playing football in Sept...I can see why you'd cancel it.
2. But I 100% don't see why you think postponing until December or even Spring of 2021 is any more a viable idea than Septermber of 2020.
- This virus isn't going to be any less contangious in 2021 than it is 2020
- We're not getting a vaccine until long shot end of 2020....and it's more probable for sometime in 2021. And if we do get one, there will be no evidence of it's effectiveness for months.

So I just scratch my head on Fall of 2020...we cancel football....but we think it's viable to play football just 5 months later from September. We're 5 months into Covid from where this started in March...so what is another 5 months truly going to do?

In the last two weeks, the 7-day average for new cases in the US has dropped by 20.2%, from 69k per day to 55k per day.

That trend (masks actually work!) combined with the progress made on vaccines by multiple companies is why you’re seeing quite a few people eyeing that 4-5 months timeframe for a return to events with large crowds.

One scientific journal article I read recently explained that this virus, while very potent and highly contagious, is also easy to attack and slow to mutate, making the vaccines in development very effective.

Playing doesn't increase chances of transmission. If anything they have a much better situation than 99% of Americans in that they receive daily monitoring in care.

That in addition to the fact they are at extraordinarily low risk of symptoms and even lower for complications.

If you cancel for this, you may well cancel forever. Because mono, meningitis, and even flu are all much greater threats to their age group

Help me with the perspective on this:
1. I get the notion that college football can't be in a "bubble" like NBA and given how contagious Covid is (even if you don't think it's overly dangerous to 22 year olds)....playing football in September has those risks and it's going to be nearly impossible to ignore the risks. So not playing football in Sept...I can see why you'd cancel it.
2. But I 100% don't see why you think postponing until December or even Spring of 2021 is any more a viable idea than Septermber of 2020.
- This virus isn't going to be any less contangious in 2021 than it is 2020
- We're not getting a vaccine until long shot end of 2020....and it's more probable for sometime in 2021. And if we do get one, there will be no evidence of it's effectiveness for months.

So I just scratch my head on Fall of 2020...we cancel football....but we think it's viable to play football just 5 months later from September. We're 5 months into Covid from where this started in March...so what is another 5 months truly going to do?

We pretty much did nothing after reopening to slow down the spread. Hopefully most of these states realize the mistakes and take more action to slow the spread. Other countries have the outbreak numbers at a fraction that we do..

Reactions: mrschwump
Playing doesn't increase chances of transmission. If anything they have a much better situation than 99% of Americans in that they receive daily monitoring in care.

That in addition to the fact they are at extraordinarily low risk of symptoms and even lower for complications.

If you cancel for this, you may well cancel forever. Because mono, meningitis, and even flu are all much greater threats to their age group
No-one wants to hear these rational thoughts! So just shut up!

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
We pretty much did nothing after reopening to slow down the spread. Hopefully most of these states realize the mistakes and take more action to slow the spread. Other countries have the outbreak numbers at a fraction that we do..

There was nothing that could be done. Viruses are like the weather. The only chance we had to stop this was the first 10-14 days in its existence in China.

Everywhere has the same results in terms of infections. Masks, no masks, etc - it's all the same. It's just how it is and how it was always going to be. All the rest was just political noise on both sides

Reactions: CB3UK
There was nothing that could be done. Viruses are like the weather. The only chance we had to stop this was the first 10-14 days in its existence in China.

Everywhere has the same results in terms of infections. Masks, no masks, etc - it's all the same. It's just how it is and how it was always going to be. All the rest was just political noise on both sides

It is under control in other countries that took it seriously and didn't let up. I don't know where u get your info, but masks tamp it down. New Zealand has gone 100 days without a community acquired case. Meanwhile, 250k people are gathering in Sturgis. Wonder what will happen????? Murica!!

Reactions: mrschwump
It is under control in other countries that took it seriously and didn't let up. I don't know where u get your info, but masks tamp it down. New Zealand has gone 100 days without a community acquired case. Meanwhile, 250k people are gathering in Sturgis. Wonder what will happen????? Murica!!

Oh ya? Which ones?

Anyone who "had it under control" does not now have it under control. Eve. If by some miracle they have zero cases today, they'd have to lock off their borders for the remainder of time.

The only way this is defeated is either everyone on earth go inside with no outside contact for 14-21 days (not practical) or we reach herd immunity.

There was never any other response. Hence "flatten the curve"

These kids playing dies not increase their risk. So what's the real issue?

"... the coronavirus pandemic has forced Bill Belichick, Andy Reid and every NFL coach to follow the lead of Buddy Teevens. This season’s player safety protocols ban padded practices with full contact in NFL camps until Aug. 17, three weeks after players first report."

"After playing quarterback for Dartmouth in the ‘70s, Teevens’s coaching odyssey included stints with two of the greatest minds to ever draw plays on a chalkboard. For three seasons, he was an assistant under Spurrier at Florida. The next three years, he was the coach at Stanford, where Walsh returned as an administrator after once serving as the school’s coach.

These two coaches are hailed for their progressive offenses, but Teevens says they were even more progressive when it came to protecting their players. They both instilled in him the idea that little was more important than getting their team to game day in tip-top shape. Unlike other coaches, they didn’t take pride in having their players batter each other every day.

“Why would you beat the crap out of our own team and players?” Spurrier says. “I used to tell people: When the army’s preparing for battle, they don’t use live bullets against each other. So why use live collisions when we get ready for opponents?”

Teevens took that logic to the next level. He had no idea if it would be effective. “If it didn’t work, I’m fired and unemployed right now,” he says. But he thought he could build an entire system around it. The coaches broke down film to study the most effective tackles. They later brought in robotic tackling dummies so players had mobile targets to practice against. They were still training for the violence inherent to football—just not against their own teammates."

"But players like Will McNamara became believers when they actually tried it. They felt fresher, and they played better. Concussions went down. Missed tackles went down. And the most important statistic went up: wins. From 2005 to 2009 under Teevens, Dartmouth’s record was 9-41. Over the next 10 years, it went 70-30 with two Ivy League titles.

“The proof is on the scoreboard,” said Bronson Green, a former Big Green captain and linebacker. “This may be the next evolution of where the game should be.”

When this experiment proved so successful, this school in football’s hinterlands became the curiosity of the football world."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dartmo...nfl-success-in-2020-yes-dartmouth-11596628811

Tell that to the scum of the earth that was yelling and spitting in the faces of police officers while not wearing as mask.

Did anyone think college football was going to happen? Got a bunch Beta Cucks running the show.

Have any teams, college or pro, been hitting in pads and piling up yet? Just curious ...

New Zealand is an island nation with a population of 4.8 million. The population density is 48/square mile. There are more sheep in New Zealand than people. They have 1569 cases and 22 deaths for a death rate of 1.4%. Much easier to control the spread of any disease except cabin fever in a country like that.

New Zealand is an island nation with a population of 4.8 million. The population density is 48/square mile. There are more sheep in New Zealand than people. They have 1569 cases and 22 deaths for a death rate of 1.4%. Much easier to control the spread of any disease except cabin fever in a country like that.

Death rate of 1.4% of the cases, but a really measly percent of the total population.

Amazing how rioting worked as a vaccine.
Not to mention the masks don't work. If they did work, they wouldn't be releasing violent felons from prison due to the pandemic during a time of riots and protests. Gimme a break.

Just saw where Newzealand has 4 new cases and are thinking of shutting down its largest city.

From your own post. Just clarifying that from your post the 1.4% is the death rate for cases that actually got the virus, not for the whole population. The percent of deaths per total population is VERY small, 22 deaths per 4,800,000 per your figures. Were your figures right?

Four new cases per 4,800,000 people and they are shutting down, that is like the whole state of Kentucky having about 3 new cases.

From your own post. Just clarifying that from your post the 1.4% is the death rate for cases that actually got the virus, not for the whole population. The percent of deaths per total population is VERY small, 22 deaths per 4,800,000 per your figures. Were your figures right?

Four new cases per 4,800,000 people and they are shutting down, that is like the whole state of Kentucky having about 3 new cases.
Yes, those figures are correct as of yesterday. It makes no sense to shut down down with numbers like that but this virus has made decision makers insane . They need to shut down all automobile and rail traffic because if they don't, someone is going to die.

Reactions: jauk11
Yes, those figures are correct as of yesterday. It makes no sense to shut down down with numbers like that but this virus has made decision makers insane . They need to shut down all automobile and rail traffic because if they don't, someone is going to die.

I'm waiting on my next Covid emergency payment so I can board up my house, leaving a small opening for take out food delivery.

No, but I do need to take more precautions, at 82 I don't want to catch it. The invisible enemy. So far so good.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
I'm waiting on my next Covid emergency payment so I can board up my house, leaving a small opening for take out food delivery.

No, but I do need to take more precautions, at 82 I don't want to catch it. The invisible enemy. So far so good.
You and I are the same age. Avoiding it is the best strategy, since the death rate in our age group is 20% or more. But the flu and pneumonia is rough on our age group, too. I take the flu and pneumonia shot and will take the virus shot when it comes out. We both have to hang out until we get football again.

You and I are the same age. Avoiding it is the best strategy, since the death rate in our age group is 20% or more. But the flu and pneumonia is rough on our age group, too. I take the flu and pneumonia shot and will take the virus shot when it comes out. We both have to hang out until we get football again.

Yeah, I have always taken the flu shot, no problems so far. Hope they get this one soon.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT